Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced to upgrade to iPad Pro. App suggestions needed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Forced to upgrade to iPad Pro. App suggestions needed. Reply with quote

I just got iM1 to add to Kronos Combis/tracks. Had it plugged in and rocking along with myself on the keys of kronos when my iPad dropped. Nothing broke until i put the iPad back on the surface and started rocking again. Then it fell again and now i am in a maze of glass shards as i use the iPad to type this topic.
On my way today to see if i can find an iPad Pro. I am not one to upgrade with the times as my iPad 4th gen has been more than enough. But a good reason is here. It broke right when the latest ios 11 is leaving behind iPad 4th gen.
So i have reached the edge of obsolescence with it.
Also now i am ready to use iPad synth and music production apps with Kronos.
iPad Pro seems to be the best yet for that -with Garage band Alchemy that is not available on my iPad 4th gen. Also greater polyphony for iPad pro based apps like my Korg iM1 with its 8 timbre combi mode. Polyphony is the main thing for a combi feature app. Same with korg Gadget.
So i am moving up to iPad pro for the music apps and i suspect i will get a good photo and motion picture functionality out of it that will make up for the price -by saving me from buying a 4k camera like Go pro.
Oh yeah, will definitley buy the military tank version of a protective case.

Any suggestions on apps with good patch/program options that aren't too old in quality to stand up well in a Kronos Combi?
I have garage band, korg iM1 and korg Gadget. But would be interested in what sound options and quality come with Cubasis 2 or any other apps you know or suggest.
i really wish i could find an app with modern Yamaha cool galaxy EP or maybe someone knows how to program that sound out of kronos EP/FM engine and can send me a PCG file for it on kronos 2. ? Cool galaxy EP is on every top end Yamaha digital piano like the DG 650 and newer.

Thanks. Ouch! another shard of glass in my hand. Not for long.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my favorite on my iPro (not in any particular order)
1: Cubasis (DAW)
2: Waldorf Nave
3: Korg MonoPoly,
4: Korg Wavestation.
5: Korg Gadget
6: Modstep
7:Loopy HD
8: korg Odyssei
9: Moog Model 15
10: PPG wave Generator
11: iPolysix
12: iMS20
13: Arturia iSpark
14: Arturia iSem
15: Sampletank
16: Animoog
17: Audiobus 3
18: Synthscraper
19: LayR
20: Akai iMPC Pro
21: Midi Designer
22: Jamup Pro
23: Amplitube Complete
24: Funkbox
25: BeatHawk

Am Sure I have plenty more.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to add to the great list Amit added; check out the Kronos Remote app and ForScore sheet music app. These are indispensable apps.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the good app options i cannot find on the app store until i actually browse from the iPro.
I bought it today 10.5 small screen because i am afraid the big screen is too easy to bend and break, but also i have to wait 5 days for it to arrive, other wise i would have had to settle for the in store limited memory version with no cellular features along-side the wifi. So happy they have 512Gb memory now and now i have 512gb memory on a tablet.
Like Alchemy for garage band, it does not even show as an option anywhere unless i actually have iPro to access or view it.
Does alchemy for iPro allow more sounds to be added or what it comes with is all there is?

Another thing is i know i will have more polyphony per synth app just from iPro potency alone, as well as two open screens at once and better background running of multiple apps, but what happens to polyphony when i run multiple synth apps in the background?

How many synth apps before each starts to drop significant amounts of polyphony? I know iPro has to be powerful but with 512GB memory and that long list of favorite apps, i suspect i can reach the CPU limit easily with stacking sounds from different apps via midi channel controlled from Kronos.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually restrict myself of 1-2 synths at any moment, other tracks bounced off as some synths (metal ones) can be very demanding.

I have the bigger 1st generation with 256 Gig memory and I have run out of space many times. (lots of large books on my iPad).

from the list I posted, it'd be a crime not to own Waldorf Nave and Moog Animoog, followed by Moog Model 15 and the Korg MonoPoly they are just too good.

ModStep is not a synth but a midi app that allows you to record and launch patterns and works great with kronos.

One limitation you have to keep in mind is that you can only open 1 instance of a synth at a time. So you cannot have two copies of the same synth running at the same time for different tracks. However the Synths that are available as AU, do not have this restriction.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
bobmusic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a decent list already, here a two freeware synths:
- Yamaha FM Essential (for working with M-Series from Yamaha, but also working standalone)
- FM Player - great opensource project: https://audiokitpro.com/fmplayer/

And some interesting sequencing apps:
- Fugue maschine
- Patterning

Free also:
- musicmemos (from Apple)
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
darwinwiebe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL Studio Mobile is a nice app.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunvox and VirtualANS are both available for iOS. Sunvox will now do multiple MIDI channels in, going to different modules. You can get some really rich soundscapes with those.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out Youtube demos of some of the suggested apps and ended up with:

1. Waldorf Nave (how could i not?)

2. Cubasis 2

3. iM1

4. Midi flow (to work out flexible midi channel routing and key zoning between the various apps.

5. Alchemy (came free of charge added to Gargae band with iPad Pro)

6. Gadget LE (i am not really into the sounds it focuses on but it can be a useful crutch sometime but i did not find it worth paying for the full app. Just not the type of sounds and workflow i am looking for right now).

Midi flow allows me to zone NAVE or any synth app to any key range just like kronos can do but also to recieve from Kronos to Midiflow on all channels to then output only on any channel specified for NAVE or each app individually assigned a midi output channel. I can do the same for several apps at the same time -all in the same Midiflow page, running each app like midi tracks but only for midi routing, by-passing, midi filtering and all kinds of cool midi tricks that some apps do not come with.
Key zoning was the main thing i got it for and then i discovered the very dynamic Midi I/0 capabilities that exceed what Karma does.

iM1 has in app key zoning and midi channel settings per each of 8 combi timbres.

I was able to run iM1 and Nave together as two added sounds to my Kronos internal combi. So i end up with two new synth engines for Kronos Combi work. iM1 isn’t that great a sound quality but i use it to layer M1 bass programs to pick up the Bass end of some of my kronos Combi’s and there are enough program options in iM1 to find ones that blend well with kronos sounds.
I use Boss Dr.880 for kronos bass sections that do not require Sustain pedal. Bass that really cuts through the mix. Also Dr.880 is my Drum Machine as well as a bass guitar sound engine. It is also a song sequencer that can take in S.midi files. I have the DR.880 with midi cables to Kronos and iPad Pro wired in via USB B port for audio and midi together.

I already recorded some Kronos drum patterns into Dr.880 and got Dr.880 drum fill options to add fills,intros, breaks and endings. 100 fill options on Dr.880 and they automatically Quantize and tempo adjust to whatever pattern you give them. And the finished product can be put back into kronos drum track user patterns. Plus i get to run Dr.880 kits together with Kronos kits for bigger sound. It lets kronos work more like an arranger for me except without the real time fills triggerng. I just preselect them into a full song of a pattern which leaves my hands free to work other things like Karma and whatever else on Kronos.

I am going to try running iM1, Nave and Cubasis sounds all at the same time from Midi flow and see if it all holds. I crashed Kronos for the first time in a long while on day one of setting up iPad, Dr.880 and kronos to run the same performance and combi together. But i rebooted, finished up sorting out the details and i haven’t had a crash since. I just stay off of iPad screen while performing and no crash to worry about. Maybe it was internet alerts and messages dehind that crash too, because i never remembered to turn off Wifi or cellular data. I am not gigging...yet... So no big deal right now.
I could run iM1 inside Cubasis and then run Nave and Cubasis together in Midi flow if i have issues runnng all three separately at the same time from Midiflow.

Also considering SampleTank because it has lots of sounds and in-app 8 part layering of those sounds with flexible key zoning in the app , plus a lot of drum patterns to use.

I hope SampleTank is good enough sound Quality and stable enough to work with Kronos.
None of the apps have cost me more than $29USD so far -so it is well worth it to get what adds up to being extra sound engines that stay off Kronos memory and CPU.
3rd party sound sets for Kronos are great but i cannot do all i want with the impressive factory set because of CPU limits over polyphony. So it doesn’t make sense for me to pay higher prices to add more sounds to kronos when i can pay much less for external sounds in iPad apps that offer entire synth engines and much more. I will likely get a few more Kronos 3rd party sound-sets but it will not take priority over external sounds that put no load on kronos CPU. They are going to have to phatten up Kornos hardware if they want to really market the great 3rd party sounds for kronos.
Either way, no big deal to me as i will be upgrading my Kronos with a Macbook Pro with Logic and Mainstage to start.
My iPad Pro already came with free Alchemy synth engine added to Garage band as well as a fleet of other sound sets.

Really happy with what apps i have working with Kronos so far.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious what everyone's recommended size is for the Ipad Pro. Planning to buy one this week and i'm debating between the 10.5 and 12.9.

The word of wisdom i read so far on forums is that the bigger size is the way to go hence knobs/mixer tabs in music apps will profit from the extra real estate, but then i don't want it to be too bulky as i plan to use it in bed as well!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdwctdwc wrote:
Just curious what everyone's recommended size is for the Ipad Pro. Planning to buy one this week and i'm debating between the 10.5 and 12.9.

The word of wisdom i read so far on forums is that the bigger size is the way to go hence knobs/mixer tabs in music apps will profit from the extra real estate, but then i don't want it to be too bulky as i plan to use it in bed as well!

I got the 10.5 screen because of portability. After getting used to Kronos touch screen, 10.5 seems plenty of real-estate to me.
My main worry is the surface area to thiness ratio of the 12.9 makes it seem it would bend and break easier if i had it in a back pack while leaning my weight on the pack. I do long multi stop airlne flights every year and the safer portability is important. I get worn out and careless sometimes.
10.5 iPad Pro is smaller total area than my 4th gen iPad but iPad Pro 10.5 has a bigger screen area because a good amount of the blacked out border space is filled in with more touch screen view.

The thing is so fast that my old habits of resting fingers on the screen is not as forgiving because the slightest moving touch sends the page scrolling at 100 pages a minute. Takes time and effort sorting through that many pages to find my way back to where i was. But the same sensitivity and speed saves tons of time when purposefully scrolling.

The split screen feature so far only works on certain apps like the ones from Apple, Google and maybe a few others. None of my synth or music project apps are split screen enabled. But they may update one day.

It makes sense why the larger 12.9 version was decided on when you have split screen function opening two apps at the same time. The two apps shrink down to fit in the same srceen space and the less screen you have, the more app page shrinking you have. Like seeing photos in bigger windows at the same time E-mail or social media window is open -where you can then drag the viewed photo in to post or send.
I mange fine with the 10.5 split screen function because i can actually shrink one app down and expand the other for better view or shrink the expanded one back down to allow the formerly shrunken app to expand into the dominant part of the view. Flexible but only some apps seem enabled for the split screen operation.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me 12.9 is the perfect size, but that is because I read a lot and it gives a normal size page for magazines and other stuff.

Secondly I also use iPad as a remote monitor many times when away (teamviewer) as well as use apple pencil. So larger Real Estate is beneficial.

Music wise I, A larger interface definitely works better for me than the smaller ones, but that was not the primary criteria when I was deciding for iPad pro.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia and Amit Thank You.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good arranger on ipad, to add arranger functionality to my Kronos?

Actually, except for that, with audiobus3 and audio units and all thos wonderfull inventive programs working innovatively on the ipad pro.. i think ios is the most creative music platform around...
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Does anyone know a good arranger on ipad, to add arranger functionality to my Kronos?

Actually, except for that, with audiobus3 and audio units and all thos wonderfull inventive programs working innovatively on the ipad pro.. i think ios is the most creative music platform around...

Yamaha arranger for Ipad works perfectly very good addition to Kronos .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: