Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos2 61 failed on its 2nd gig.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: New Kronos2 61 failed on its 2nd gig. Reply with quote

1st gig last weekend went fine.
2nd gig yesterday, everything was OK and working beautifully at sound check.
Showtime... and no sound from the Kronos. Very, very low level, somewhat distorted sound coming from the main L&R outputs and headphone output.
I unplugged everything from the Kronos (except power of course) and re-started. Same thing.
Local Control is NOT turned off. The computer seemed to think everything was happy. I'd go into Combi mode and look at the main mixer page, I could see the level indicators dancing as I would expect when playing sounds. But no audio output anywhere.
On Global Audio page I tried re-routing audio to the dedicated additional outputs. Nothing there, either.
I had to drive across town to borrow another keyboard from a friend in order to finish the gig.
I had spent a couple weeks dialing up all the patches and composing my cheat sheets in Setlist mode, and had all my band mates pumped up to hear this amazing new machine.
What a disappointment.
I'll be taking it in for warranty service next week.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kronos2 61 failed on its 2nd gig. Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
1st gig last weekend went fine.
2nd gig yesterday, everything was OK and working beautifully at sound check.
Showtime... and no sound from the Kronos. Very, very low level, somewhat distorted sound coming from the main L&R outputs and headphone output.
I unplugged everything from the Kronos (except power of course) and re-started. Same thing.
Local Control is NOT turned off. The computer seemed to think everything was happy. I'd go into Combi mode and look at the main mixer page, I could see the level indicators dancing as I would expect when playing sounds. But no audio output anywhere.
On Global Audio page I tried re-routing audio to the dedicated additional outputs. Nothing there, either.
I had to drive across town to borrow another keyboard from a friend in order to finish the gig.
I had spent a couple weeks dialing up all the patches and composing my cheat sheets in Setlist mode, and had all my band mates pumped up to hear this amazing new machine.
What a disappointment.
I'll be taking it in for warranty service next week.

This sounds familiar. You didn't say if you used a UPS. Or if your K is 1 week new, or 8 months old, or heavily gigged, etc, etc, etc.

Even so, its a real headache to go thru this.

No backup keyboard at the gig ? Thats usually a good plan , depending on the gig.

I can list a bunch of possibilities- this has been several times before with the symptoms you experienced. Taking it in for service might be the best course.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be many things, but a first thing to ensure is stable AC line supply. Always protect your Kronos with an UPS at home and elsewhere and plug all your gear AC cords on it to avoid lovely ground loop problems, etc.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a UPS. Kronos is 3 weeks old. Bought new.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
I have a UPS. Kronos is 3 weeks old. Bought new.

I don't know how u transport your K around, but I would baby it. IOW, banging it around might have an effect.

Given its 3 weeks old, and being used normally, it should be 100% flawless.

I assume the retailer did not push an ' open box ' or a demo on you. Correct ?

It used to be conventional that if a tech device has a flaw, it will likely fail quickly, as in less than a month So your K could have a bad power supply or some other flaky component. I agree with you taking it in.

Why not go back to your retailer and ask for a free replacement ? One that is new ? it might be less hassle.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an open-box unit from Guitar Center. But it was spotless and carried a full warranty.

All the analog outputs are affected... there is a barely audible signal in the headphone and main L&R outputs. USB audio out is working. I don’t have an optical S/PDIF cable, but I suspect that output is working as well. Something bad happened to the DAC.

Fortunately there is a Korg-authorized service center near my home. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
It was an open-box unit from Guitar Center. But it was spotless and carried a full warranty.

All the analog outputs are affected... there is a barely audible signal in the headphone and main L&R outputs. USB audio out is working. I don’t have an optical S/PDIF cable, but I suspect that output is working as well. Something bad happened to the DAC.

Fortunately there is a Korg-authorized service center near my home. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

I have had recent bad luck with ' open box ' from GC. Open box is likely a customer return. I won't do it again.

Overall, I like GC online.
JimDavis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please update us with the outcome...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a complete INIT sound loading and then a Factory sound loading ?
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped it off at the repair shop yesterday. Hopefully it will be home for Christmas.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was an open box unit, 4 months now and it's working great. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that, since using my Kronos with a UPS, I've had zero reboots and the audio quality has improved significantly. The UPS also unlocked two new audio engines that were previously unavailable and helped with the angle of the screen.

At least I think it was the UPS. It might also have been the unicorn dust I sprinkled around the room last week whilst chanting incantations.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my lady-parts are minty-fresh!
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a UPS?
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
What's a UPS?

Un Protected Sex.
Very dangerous. Never do.

But seriously. Uninterruptible Power Supply.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: