Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos2 61 failed on its 2nd gig.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stv1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X
I picked up an M50 from Guitar center a few years ago, Nothin but trouble. Finally got it straight, on my dime. Sold that and some other gear for the the Kronos2 88 key. Incredible for one year, it totally quit 3 nites ago, nothing, no power at all. Korg gives me a year warranty, just out, BUT Sweetwater gives me two years, so its headin back. Great keyboard, but I am learning that it has some serious issues. Hope you get fixed up there.
Stv/Philly
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh.
The tech just called and said he can’t reproduce the problem.
He says the outputs are working fine.
If he can’t reproduce the problem in a few days, he’s going to return it to me and I’m going to have to pay him for an hour’s work and I get an expensive, un-trustworthy synth back.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
Argh.
The tech just called and said he can’t reproduce the problem.
He says the outputs are working fine.
If he can’t reproduce the problem in a few days, he’s going to return it to me and I’m going to have to pay him for an hour’s work and I get an expensive, un-trustworthy synth back.

If it's under warranty, why do you need to pay for labor?
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tech can’t find a problem, as far as Korg is concerned I brought in a perfectly working unit and there is nothing they need to pay for.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
If the tech can’t find a problem, as far as Korg is concerned I brought in a perfectly working unit and there is nothing they need to pay for.

I don't think I've ever run into that before. Obviously, no one goes through the effort to bring in a perfectly working unit.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

we are assuming you took it to a Korg authorized service outlet. He would have opened the service panel for a diagnostic.

Did you isolate Kronos from all other devices to experience the audio out problems ?

Since your Kronos is open box 'new', the cause could be a gradually failing component. Since the problem is intermittent. The tech must have checked, re-seated al connections which are the easy steps. You might ask him exactly his steps .

as you mentioned its an open box purchase from GC. I don't go by appearance that a used keyboard , likely a return, that everything is 100%.

If you are concerned you should be going back to GC. Thats what I would have done given their time window for a return/exchange.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

Thats called warranty, any fails during the warranty periode that are not caused by your own ignorance... are the worry of Korg... overhere in Holland, they even need to deliver a replacement, if you rely on it for making money..

However, if it turns out, you caused the fail yourself, you will need to pay all costs...
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
Xenophile wrote:

Obviously, no one goes through the effort to bring in a perfectly working unit.

Sorry, I run a repair center and...this happens all the time!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I did when it failed was disconnect everything, power cycle and check if the headphone output was working. Then I went to the Global-> Audio page and tried assigning the individual outputs and checked those... nothing. Did it all again at home 2 days after the embarrassing gig. Same thing. On the suggestion of another Kronos owner, I tried USB audio out, and found that was working while none of the analog outputs were working.

I did ask the tech to check connections, and I am a bit concerned about his knowledge of the Kronos since he was saying something to the effect that the problem might be my volume pedal since jack on the Kronos is “connected directly to the analog output circuit,” when most of us know that it is not (it is a midi EXP control input.) I’m not sure he even opened it up. He might have just turned it on, found it working and then called me. I will have to follow up on Monday.

Does anyone here know if Kronos2 has a “sound card” connected to the main board by PCI Express or USB?

I am still within the GC 45-day return period, so I may just do that. The open-box unit was ~$600 less than brand new. I’m not sure they would be willing to do a straight up exchange. Local GC doesn’t stock the Kronos, so they’d have to ship one from another site.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my K2 a year ago, I was offered a demo/open box unit at a significant discount. I said no thanks and ordered a brand new one. Kronos are just like computers and must be handled carefully. Who knows what happened to yours before you bought it.

Computers must not be knocked, used if AC power is unstable, powered on after significant change in temperature (for example, if left at -20 C for hours and suddenly turned on at 20 C, which can cause condensation), etc.

I would definitely exchange it and pay the extra for a new one before your return period expires.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
his knowledge of the Kronos since he was saying something to the effect that the problem might be my volume pedal since jack on the Kronos is “connected directly to the analog output circuit,” when most of us know that it is not (it is a midi EXP control input.) I’m not sure he even opened it up. He might have just turned it on, found it working and then called me. I will have to follow up on Monday.

Just for info. the signal from the Expression pedal to the Kronos is analogue, not MIDI, and is converted inside the Kronos to MIDI CC# messages.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Xenophile wrote:
his knowledge of the Kronos since he was saying something to the effect that the problem might be my volume pedal since jack on the Kronos is “connected directly to the analog output circuit,” when most of us know that it is not (it is a midi EXP control input.) I’m not sure he even opened it up. He might have just turned it on, found it working and then called me. I will have to follow up on Monday.

Just for info. the signal from the Expression pedal to the Kronos is analogue, not MIDI, and is converted inside the Kronos to MIDI CC# messages.

Agreed that the signal on the wire to the pedal is analog. But it is not connected to the analog audio circuitry in any way, as the technician was apparently suggesting.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
danmusician wrote:
Xenophile wrote:

Obviously, no one goes through the effort to bring in a perfectly working unit.

Sorry, I run a repair center and...this happens all the time!

Geo

And the owner pays for the non-repair?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s not broken, the factory doesn’t pay and Techs don’t work for free. Usually, I charge a lesser fee and in some cases not at all. I think some people confuse warranty with insurance. Warranty only covers a defect due to a failed part or defective build. It doesn’t cover operator error or abuse, buyers remorse etc. A dealer has more latitude and may cover a non warranty for good customer relations. In fact, a direct call from a customer to the factory can elicit latitude that the service center doesn’t have. Meaning, the servicer can call the factory and just get the matter of fact rules where a customer can call and get the rules bent.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
If it’s not broken, the factory doesn’t pay and Techs don’t work for free. Usually, I charge a lesser fee and in some cases not at all. I think some people confuse warranty with insurance. Warranty only covers a defect due to a failed part or defective build. It doesn’t cover operator error or abuse, buyers remorse etc. A dealer has more latitude and may cover a non warranty for good customer relations. In fact, a direct call from a customer to the factory can elicit latitude that the service center doesn’t have. Meaning, the servicer can call the factory and just get the matter of fact rules where a customer can call and get the rules bent.

Geo

Thanks for the info and perspective. I wouldn't expect the warranty to cover user error and I understand that it's not insurance. I guess where I'm coming from is that sometimes there are problems that don't always replicate themselves in the shop. Doesn't seem fair for the customer to pay. But I get very much that you need to be paid for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: