Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post!!

Last edited by BobTheDog on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Expansion via the external route is always an option. Smile

I have just finished building a new rig, which comprises the Kronos X61, a Montage 7 and a small NUC PC running Cantabile and hosting all of my VSTis, accessbile via a touch monitor on my rig stand just above the Kronos. Oh and I have my Nord G2 Engine in my rack for good measure!

I am starting to program the first songs now, and it is great being able to pair the Kronos and Montage with sounds from Omnisphere and Diva (for example). I already have some great combinations that I hope will wow a test audience at our local music venues open mic session on Sunday!

I will still be interested to see what Korg do next regarding the Kronos of course. Smile

Hi Derek,

What NUC and Touch monitor are you using. I have been thinking of setting something like this up as well.

Cheers

Andy
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bob

For the PC https://www.ambros.co.uk/computer-shop/intel-nuc6i7kyk-skull-canyon-core-i-7-fully-assembled-pc/

I went for 32GB memory and 512 GB SSD

And for the monitor (not cheap, but wonderful): https://www.gechic.com/en-portable-touch-monitor-onlap1303i-view.html

This is running Top Ten Software's Cantabile program (excellent for live use)

There is a description of my setup at post 237 on this thread on Cantabile forums. Below is a picture of the new rig, with the Touch Monitor just above the Kronos (you can just about make UH-E Diva on screen).

http://community.cantabilesoftware.com/t/show-me-your-cantabile-rig/633/237

HTH

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:

While you're not wrong, at that point you sort of have to ask whether a Kronos is really what the doctor ordered.

Don't you really want a workstation with a good linear sequencer and MIDI out to drive things that make the sounds that you really want? After all, the Krome is way cheaper than the Kronos, and comes with a piano roll on which you can even draw automation. Or if you prefer direct input and you don't want a piano roll, you could use a Kross and an external controller box like a BCR2000.

Add a cloud of your chosen sound sources (modular, desktop, whatever) and go crazy.
leonh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to local music store to look for excuse to buy another keyboard so I played Genos very nice good sounds top of the class arranger ect but then I started thinking why I am not amazed with this (did play Pa4x as well very good too) Montage, Roland FA and reason was that Kronos can do all of that and then some more (if you know how to work it ) and frankly there is nothing better out there and yes of course I would like more upgraded model just for the sake of it so I can show off but not because my Kronos is restricting my creativity I wonder how Beatles created all those songs on four tracks only Very Happy Very Happy
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

While you're not wrong, at that point you sort of have to ask whether a Kronos is really what the doctor ordered.

Don't you really want a workstation with a good linear sequencer and MIDI out to drive things that make the sounds that you really want? After all, the Krome is way cheaper than the Kronos, and comes with a piano roll on which you can even draw automation. Or if you prefer direct input and you don't want a piano roll, you could use a Kross and an external controller box like a BCR2000.

Add a cloud of your chosen sound sources (modular, desktop, whatever) and go crazy.

That's sort of what I've done. Smile It was the Kronos for me as the synth of choice in 2014 for the 9 sound engines, KARMA and Wavesequencing. The workstation features are incidental. And then I have a host of VSTis that I want to make use of on stage, which is why I have gone the route I have. With the new rig, I am making great layers with the Kronos, Omnisphere and the Montage, and that is just scratching the surface of what it can do....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how does the NUC cope with holding down a few notes using both hands on some of Omnisphere's more demanding Patches; things like Arkaik Chasm, Primal Howlings, and Red Eyed Boys?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Out of interest, how does the NUC cope with holding down a few notes using both hands on some of Omnisphere's more demanding Patches; things like Arkaik Chasm, Primal Howlings, and Red Eyed Boys?

Hi. Here's what I checked out this morning for you on the three patches you mentioned.

First off, the system config is an I7-6770HQ processor 2.6GHz with four cores and 8 logical processors. The system has 32GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. The sound module is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB module and the audio buffer buffer is set for 10ms latency.

The software I use to host the VSTs is Cantabile which is an amazing host for live use. I've been using it for years for backing tracks and running the light show in my bands and the occasional lightweight VST or sound sample for effects. My previous laptop was not man enough to run these heavyweight VSTs like Omnisphere or Diva, and with the sounds these provide, I wanted to get something that could tackle them in a live context.

With Omnisphere loaded and any of those sounds loaded but playing no notes, the "baseline" processor load (measured on Task Manager) is 5%. The Cantabile Audio load (how much of the audio buffer it is using) is 3%. Note: a lot of live hosts do not report this, but report processor load!

The system is optimised in accordance with the book that Cantabile's Author has produced called "Glitch Free Audio", which is available as a free ePub from the Cantabile website (well worth a read for any audio PC and host, it is quite generic and there were tweaks in there I had not heard of before). I also use a program called "Process Lasso" which you can use to prioritise programs, so I use it to set Cantabile above normal priority.

So, off I go and play some 8 note chords.

Arkaik Chasm, 40% Audio Load and 10% processor load (one core was at 40% by way of example)
Primal Howling, 20% Audio load and 6% processor load
Red Eyed Boys, 20% Audio load and 6% processor load

With DIVA, I get loadings of between 10% and 50% depending on the patch and DIVA quality.

So plenty of headroom, for many simple VSTis or a really complex one without worrying about crackles and sputters in the audio. I think in ten years time performance will be good enough that you could do an entire show with virtual instruments, but for now I am happy with a half way house of two very good live boards (Kronos and Montage) and a computer like this to add some VST gems. I am quite pleased so far! Smile

HTH

My Echoes Music Website
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek for the detailed info. Using an I7-6550U processor, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM here, and getting glitching from time to time, especially with Arkaik Chasm. Some optimisation needed, and to give Cantabile a tryout. Using Ableton Live to host Omnisphere at the moment.

I know this is off topic, so plan for further posts in a more appropriate area of the forum.
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For next Kronos It would be great if Korg could add PA4x functionnalities inside (like DNC and better acoustic samples)

oli
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But The most important for me would be 64-bits operating system in order to use more than 3 GB RAM

oli
leonh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by leonh on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
leonh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
But The most important for me would be 64-bits operating system in order to use more than 3 GB RAM

oli

So new motherboard then
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Hi, Bob

For the PC https://www.ambros.co.uk/computer-shop/intel-nuc6i7kyk-skull-canyon-core-i-7-fully-assembled-pc/

I went for 32GB memory and 512 GB SSD

And for the monitor (not cheap, but wonderful): https://www.gechic.com/en-portable-touch-monitor-onlap1303i-view.html

This is running Top Ten Software's Cantabile program (excellent for live use)

There is a description of my setup at post 237 on this thread on Cantabile forums. Below is a picture of the new rig, with the Touch Monitor just above the Kronos (you can just about make UH-E Diva on screen).

http://community.cantabilesoftware.com/t/show-me-your-cantabile-rig/633/237

HTH

Hi Derek,

Sorry I missed your post. Thanks very much for the info I'll have a look at that one.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pie in the sky thought.....

I reckon it'd be great if Korg came out with a drop in motherboard replacement we could buy for our existing Kronos, which is 64bit, heaps of RAM etc. It's technically not a problem in my view, as the bottleneck is the data thoughput, and the audio/contol interface hardware can still be used. They could sell it for say $1000, and have the certified techs do the upgrade. They'd probably sell more of them to all the existing Kronos users than a complete new WS. Along with a nice OS upgrade to go with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: