Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
My pie in the sky thought.....

I reckon it'd be great if Korg came out with a drop in motherboard replacement we could buy for our existing Kronos, which is 64bit, heaps of RAM etc. It's technically not a problem in my view, as the bottleneck is the data thoughput, and the audio/contol interface hardware can still be used. They could sell it for say $1000, and have the certified techs do the upgrade. They'd probably sell more of them to all the existing Kronos users than a complete new WS. Along with a nice OS upgrade to go with it.

its a good thought. It would solve the aging tech of Kronos. It would require a significant OS upgrade.

The certified tech is a grey area to depend on. The auth service centers are mostly small business types ( here in the US). Getting parts is no finger snap. Same with time to repair. Not always predictable if it gets complex. I am not picking on all of them. My guess is the large majority do a good job.

Plus there are many 6 yr Kronos owners out there. I never required a keybed replacement . If I am going to drop $1000 on a current Mobo I will get a new keybed. So that cost has to be reasonable.

One again, its that nagging big picture thing for something to be totally sensible for the $
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it may all be determined by controlled roll-outs. It may be down to the economics of pacing the releases to maximise the returns, rather than release a product with all the technology included.
Just progressively feed us enough to get us to buy the next model, with small improvements along the way. A bit like new car design, I suppose!
Purusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
I reckon it'd be great if Korg came out with a drop in motherboard replacement we could buy for our existing Kronos, which is 64bit, heaps of RAM etc.

Yep - I've been hoping that Korg would take that kind of approach for a few years. They could spin it as an environmental approach too!
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can continue to be reminded that the KRONOS is 6+ years old but it’s still a great keyboard and I get compliments all the time on how good it sounds and so far it’s been solid. A new OS update would be just fine with me. There has been no other keyboard/workstation supported like the KRONOS. So whatever happens at NAMM or beyond I believe it’s still worth the money today.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purusha wrote:
DeltaJockey wrote:
I reckon it'd be great if Korg came out with a drop in motherboard replacement we could buy for our existing Kronos, which is 64bit, heaps of RAM etc.

Yep - I've been hoping that Korg would take that kind of approach for a few years. They could spin it as an environmental approach too!

these electronic cos are very slow to change their approach. I think Korg is mostly invested in big bang new products plus IOS products. Thats what I observed in 2017.

That said I am very curious about their 2018 strategy. Since Korg holds its plans tightly to the chest, there are no clues today. I am looking at NAMM to see what they direction is. I also think Korg is an innovative company not a ' me too ' company.

As a Kronos owner, an incremental (low cost) improvement to the aging Kronos would be nice.

I am not much for looking backwards or being satisfied with the status quo. Status quo for $3000 does not seem that exciting for me. Plus the marketplace is fluid, it does move forward whether we agree or not. Tech has clearly been our good friend IMO, even with some missteps.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should add to the Kronos a new button: It would be called "the crazy touch" and we would never know what would come out of our kronos at that moment ! Let's get it now ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDENDUM : I think more seriously that this kind of "random" button will be a clever musical thing : Every time we push this button every time a random sound commes out, and after that we could have the freedom and opportunity to save this sound. It could be a weird sound or not. But this random, this hazard is a precious thing for any musician's creativity

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Korg should add to the Kronos a new button: It would be called "the crazy touch" and we would never know what would come out of our kronos at that moment ! Let's get it now ! Very Happy

I was thinking 2 buttons:

" Pop Hit "

" Not a Pop Hit "

Wink
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

Isn't that already there? It's labeled KARMA?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ng_friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of NAMM, is there any speculation if Korg will actually release a successor or refresh to the Kronos this year? I've been wanting to trade in my Krome for a new Kronos, which I was thinking of doing this week, but not sure if I should wait till after NAMM.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng:

NAMM is next week so probably waiting a week won’t kill you 😂

But if KORG doesn’t release anything for KRONOS or a new version you’ve still won. There is still nothing to rival the KRONOS out there.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd wrote:
ng:

NAMM is next week so probably waiting a week won’t kill you 😂

But if KORG doesn’t release anything for KRONOS or a new version you’ve still won. There is still nothing to rival the KRONOS out there.

I think I'd be perfectly happy with the Kronos2, but at the same time, I don't want to miss out if Korg is about to drop a Kronos3 or something new. I might as well then begrudgingly attempt to exercise patience till NAMM.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng...totally understand! Deep breaths Cool
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, doesn't look like Korg are unveiling a radical new workstation at this year's NAMM, though there are some cool products nonetheless (and only 38% of them are tuners!).

prologue   POLYPHONIC ANALOGUE SYNTHESIZER
volca mix    ANALOGUE PERFORMANCE MIXER 
D1  DIGITAL PIANO
ARP ODYSSEY FSQ DUOPHONIC SYNTHESIZER
KR-55 Pro  KORG RHYTHM
KONNECT  PORTABLE STEREO PA SYSTEM
KDM-3  DIGITAL METRONOME
AW-OTG-POLY / AW-OTB-POLY  POLYPHONIC CLIP-ON TUNER
AW-OTG / AW-OTB  CLIP-ON TUNER
CA-50  CHROMATIC TUNER
GA-50   GUITAR/BASS TUNER
Pitchblack Advance MG PEDAL TUNER
KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch MUSIC PRODUCTION STUDIO
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ng_friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Well, doesn't look like Korg are unveiling a radical new workstation at this year's NAMM, though there are some cool products nonetheless (and only 38% of them are tuners!).

prologue   POLYPHONIC ANALOGUE SYNTHESIZER
volca mix    ANALOGUE PERFORMANCE MIXER 
D1  DIGITAL PIANO
ARP ODYSSEY FSQ DUOPHONIC SYNTHESIZER
KR-55 Pro  KORG RHYTHM
KONNECT  PORTABLE STEREO PA SYSTEM
KDM-3  DIGITAL METRONOME
AW-OTG-POLY / AW-OTB-POLY  POLYPHONIC CLIP-ON TUNER
AW-OTG / AW-OTB  CLIP-ON TUNER
CA-50  CHROMATIC TUNER
GA-50   GUITAR/BASS TUNER
Pitchblack Advance MG PEDAL TUNER
KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch MUSIC PRODUCTION STUDIO

That explains why I saw a ton of chatter on the Prologue today. Is this their full list for NAMM this year, or is there still a chance they are keeping some things under wraps until the show actually begins?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: