Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs to DAW simultaneously

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franksaraceno@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs to DAW simultaneously Reply with quote

With a KRONOS 2 how do you a record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs (from combi or sequence) to DAW simultaneusly?

My understanding is that KRONOS 2 is not possible to record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs from a KRONOS 2 (combi or sequencer) simultaneously to an external recording device like DAW?

Is this true or can you share with me a way to do it?

Thanks for any help with - appreciate it.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some idea of the desired outcome would help.

It's not possible to record all 16 audio outputs individually at the same time (or even up to 32, since most timbres output in stereo), since there aren't enough audio routing destinations to do this. However, if a Song was created, it could be played back several times, whilst recording audio from several individual channels at a time, or played back and the individual channel levels altered to optimise the mix.

Alternatively, the MIDI could be recorded and then played back into the Kronos.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: so what are you wanting to tweak in the end? Reply with quote

so what are you wanting to tweak in the end?

just audio levels on the mix
or parameters and time??

is this live or studio??

what recording equipment are you using??

if computer we need to know the audio i/o interface
as well as the recording software.

in the studio i just record it all as midi for future sound tweaking...

of if i am happy with the time etc. then record as old school audio.

then bounce the mix tracks etc.

live is a whole other thing...
at least on the music i produce...
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't.!
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs to DAW simultaneously Reply with quote

franksaraceno@msn.com wrote:
With a KRONOS 2 how do you a record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs (from combi or sequence) to DAW simultaneusly?

My understanding is that KRONOS 2 is not possible to record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs from a KRONOS 2 (combi or sequencer) simultaneously to an external recording device like DAW?

You can get some of the way towards this:

i) Any MIDI exiting the Kronos on all 16 MIDI channels can be recorded into 16 MIDI tracks of any DAW

ii) 16 Kronos Combi Audio Channels or 16 Kronos Sequencer Audio Tracks can be recorded into a DAW by having the DAW start the Combi (or Kronos Sequencer), and then record the audio in 3 passes (Combi Parts 1-6, 5-12, 13-16); requiring you to re-route the Combi outs on each recording pass, and similarly rounding those combi outs to individual DAW Audio tracks.

Once the Audio is in - then you can edit it in your DAW environment.

I'm an OASYS owner (it has more outputs but still not 16). So for the principle of linking a Kronos to a DAW - check out this exquisite tutorial by Stephen Kay from his web site (linking an OASYS to a DAW) and I'd look over Stephen's Kronos Forum and Sticky-tutorials too - there will likely be many gems there:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6388

Good luck!

Kevin.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only instrument that can do this is the Yamaha Montage.. it has 32 audio channels over usb to the DAW..
robw70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Yamaha Motif XS and XF series, and probably a few other Yamaha devices courtesy of the tight relationship between Yamaha and Steinberg on DAW integration.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
The only instrument that can do this is the Yamaha Montage.. it has 32 audio channels over usb to the DAW..

This is untrue. Perhaps the only instrument to be able to do it in one pass is the Montage - but I regularly recored 8 individual outs from my OASYS to LPX - being able to get 16 audio channels from the OASYS into LPX in 2 passes. Inconvenient yes - but - critical for proper mixing (and imminently possible). I currently use the analogue outs but have an ADAT board to install to be able to do it digitally.

And as said - all 16 MIDI tracks of recorded MIDI data or Karma Performances can also be easily routed to a DAW too.

To be clear - it's possible to get all 16 Audio Tracks of a Kronos into a DAW - you just have to do it is several recorded passes. Once you have a process set up for that, it becomes routine.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Bachus wrote:

This is untrue. Perhaps the only instrument to be able to do it in one pass is the Montage -

Wasnt that the question? To do it in one pass?

Sure, our Kronos has 1000 ways of reaching the goal, but i didnt understand that to be the Question...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The question was on how to record 16 outs. The answer is - record 16 outs (for AUDIO) in 3 passes; record 16 MIDI outs in one pass.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
No. The question was on how to record 16 outs. The answer is - record 16 outs (for AUDIO) in 3 passes; record 16 MIDI outs in one pass.

How can we read this question so different?

franksaraceno@msn.com wrote:

I think the word simultaneous is all over the question.

Now, don't get me wrong, your answer was flawless and full of important information, it just doesn't answer the right question.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takig the original posting literally, a single post with the word "No" in it would have been sufficient.

There would be no need to bring in the Montage, or suggest several other ways to skin the proverbial cat. But we're a collective, good-natured bunch of folk willing to help the poster find a way round the fact that it's not possible, and I applaud that.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Takig the original posting literally, a single post with the word "No" in it would have been sufficient.

There would be no need to bring in the Montage, or suggest several other ways to skin the proverbial cat. But we're a collective, good-natured bunch of folk willing to help the poster find a way round the fact that it's not possible, and I applaud that.

Thats true...

I am often to black/white in my thinking
Must be because i spend way to much time behind black and white keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: