Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change sound depending the number of notes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Change sound depending the number of notes Reply with quote

Hello

I would like to know if there is any solution with Kronos to set specific sound depending of played notes ?
for instance : if I play one note => sound A / if I play 2 => sound B
I suppose Karma can do it but is there any way to do it directly from combis ?

oli
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a Combi with the desired timbres, and employ velocity switching to select the timbre being played.

oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already use velocity switching but I wonder if it was possible to use other methods to change sounds
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. And KARMA doesn't do it either.

laandodeman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to deal with that:

1. use a program switch pedal and browse through sounds upward
2. use the swell pedal to "swell" one sound and fade the other.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Change sound depending the number of notes Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:

Sorry but I can't see how this could be useful as an application, except pseudo-random change of sound depending how many notes are played simultaneously.

The only controller I know which can do something close to this is the Kurzweil MIDIboard. In a certain mode it offers, it can send note on messages on consecutive MIDI channels for each successive key played, which is somewhat close to what you mention. This mode is actually more useful for things like imitating poly AT response on a synth which can only respond to channel AT (like almost all synths/controllers). By setting the synth on OMNI mode, then it receives up to 16 notes at the same time all on different MIDI channels, each with its own channel AT message, simulating poly aftertouch (the MIDIboard can send both channel AT and poly AT).
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Change sound depending the number of notes Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hello

I would like to know if there is any solution with Kronos to set specific sound depending of played notes ?
I suppose Karma can do it but is there any way to do it directly from combis ?

oli

Well, isn't this exactly the purpose of a Drumkit ? One note = One sound !
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could describe what it is you're trying to achieve?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing he wants this: play 1 note, sound of violin program across keyboard, as long as you only play one note anywhere. Play 3 notes simultaneously, sound of trumpets across keyboard, as long as you play 3 notes anywhere. And so on. Might be a useful application; you could play single note string lines, then play 3 or more notes and get brass stabs - without worrying about velocities. But there's no way to do that in the Kronos automatically that I know of, other than doing it with velocity, which is how most of us approach this. For example, set up a string program to be less velocity sensitive, so that you can play it at low velocities and get a loud string sound; velocity cross-switch this with a brass program that only kicks in at very high velocities. Yes, it takes some practice, but it works! And then, you're not limited to the number of notes you must play at a time, you can alternate between single-note strings and single-note brass lines for example, or string chords and brass chords.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you described it, Stephen, this system looks like Paraphonic (as in Waldorf Pulse 2 for instance).
One note uses one oscilator, second note uses OSC2 and so on...This system was created before the Polyphony appearance. That way, it was possible to play 2 or 3 different sounds at the same time in a monphonic synth. For example the first note plays a sawtooth sound and the second one plays the second OSC with a square sound.
But with the appearance of polyphonic multitimbral synths, it's absolutely not useful anymore. In split mode, without any velocity switches, you can decide what to play,when and how (all in a combination settings).

So, I really don't see what could be the interest to get that type of characterstics in the Kronos, as in any other synth actually !
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

Can you use Chord Scan to temporarily start one module while turning off another, automatically routing the keyboard to different timbres?
oliv73

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Stephen describe exactly what i was thinking about.
Up to now I used velocity switching to change sounds during playing .

What could be the interest ?
For instance play solo trumpet and brass chords (or synth lead solo / synth pad chords ...) without changing key range

alternate bass / chords with left hand during solo with right hand

oliv
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind using a computer connected to the Kronos, perhaps you could find a MIDI message modifier plugin which could be customised to do this.
You could have MIDI in and OUT setup such that you could turn Local OFF, send the note numbers to the plugin, which interprets the note number combinations and sends back to the midi in modified with the added sysex to change the patch as you play the notes.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
StephenKay wrote:

Can you use Chord Scan to temporarily start one module while turning off another, automatically routing the keyboard to different timbres?

Maybe, not sure without trying to set it up, but that would only apply to arpeggios that KARMA is generating, not selecting a timbre to be played by the keyboard.

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Change sound depending the number of notes Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
I would like to know if there is any solution with Kronos to set specific sound depending of played notes?

One indirect solution is to use the IFX Stereo Dyna Compressor. If you route sound A through the Dyna Comp, you can use SW1 to toggle sound A on/off via the IFX Output Level. If Output Level is 10, but SW1 Amount is -10, then activating SW1 turns the sound off.

By also assigning sound B to another Dyna Comp, you can then toggle sound B on/off. If you then assign *inverse* values to the Output Level and the Amount affected by SW1 (compared to sound A Dyna Comp), you are able to toggle between sound A and sound B using SW1. Keep in mind you can assign SW1 to a footswitch so that you will be able to toggle between sounds by using your feet.

This solution requires you to manually dicate when to switch between sound A and sound B, rather than automatically detecting whether you play one note or multiple notes to switch between sounds, but it is a practical and flexible solution. Try it, you might like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: