Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On / Off state of SW1 & SW2 on external keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: On / Off state of SW1 & SW2 on external keyboard Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I want to be able to set the On / Off state of SW1 & SW2 differently for sounds in a Combi that are triggered off an external keyboard, but am struggling to work out if it is possible without changing the underlying Programme setting. Where the sound is being triggered off the Kronos, it’s not a problem because you can set the Switch as you want it and save the Combi.

I have a number of Combi’s where the sound (e.g an organ) is triggered off an external keyboard (Korg TR61). Generally, it’s possible to use the Tone Adjust parameters in the Combi to set the parameters without needing to change the Programme. However, for EXi programmes, some of the things that the Switches are used to trigger (e.g Vibrato, Chorus and Rotary) can’t be assigned to a Tone Adjust switch.

When the sound is the same as in the Programme (e.g the Programme has SW1 off and that’s the sound you want on the Combi), it’s not an issue. But for some songs, I want the Vibrato and / or Chorus on immediately (when the Programme has it turned off) and I want to be able to set the Combi up so that when I change to it, the SW1 switch is on. Because the Combi changes occur in the middle of songs, I don’t have time to press the SW1 switch (without losing my left hand).

Any thoughts?

I think it is possible to use KARMA to (partially) achieve this. Using this great thread (“Kronos Dual-Manual CX3 with External Keyboard” courtesy of MamboKeys), it’s possible to use the damper pedal and other controls on the Kronos to control the sound that is triggered off the external keyboard. The only downside is that this approach links both the Kronos-triggered sound and the external keyboard-triggered sound to the same SW switch. Because I am using a Korg TR as my external keyboard, I’d like to be able to separate the SW switches so that I can use the SW switches on the Kronos and TR for separate sounds.

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: On / Off state of SW1 & SW2 on external keyboard Reply with quote

Mersip wrote:
However, for EXi programmes, some of the things that the Switches are used to trigger (e.g Vibrato, Chorus and Rotary) can’t be assigned to a Tone Adjust switch.

Any thoughts?

Seems to me it *is* possible to assign vibrato, chorus and rotary to a Tone Adjust switch for a timbre. When you're on the Tone Adjust screen, have you selected the correct timbre number for the program in your combi (found on the mid upper right side of the screen)?

I have a combi where the 2nd MIDI controller plays an organ. It's on MIDI channel 3. If I select Tone Adjust and make sure I'm on Timbre 3, the tone adjust switches happen to be already assigned to some of the parameters you mentioned above (vibrato, etc). Of course, the option to assign a parameter to a switch will be grayed out if that parameter is already assigned to another Tone Adjust switch in that timbre. In other words, within a given timbre on the Tone Adjust screen, you cannot assign a parameter to more than one switch at a time.

However, a single parameter may be modulated by multiple sources.

In my case, I can trigger the rotary speed to change from slow to fast and back again via 3 different methods -- aftertouch, SW1, or via Tone Adjust switch. The original program has its rotary speed affected by AMS mixer 1, which in turn is assigned A+B to aftertouch and SW1.

HTH
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option for you is to use a footswitch and dedicate it to control either SW1 or SW2.
Mersip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas.

I already have a footswitch which I use to move through the SetList, so I don't have that as an option.

I've checked and I am definitely on the correct Timbre. When I try to assign the Vibrato / Chorus to a switch, this option (along with some others) is greyed out. I don't know why this is, although I recall reading somewhere that some of the EXi functions are greyed out. None of the other switches in Tone Adjust have this as their parameter. Is it because in the Programme it is set to SW1?

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're almost there. Just have to overcome a possible conflict in parameter assignments. It seems to me you should easily be able to do what you need.

Instead of using a preset, maybe you could try making a fresh EXI organ program from scratch? This way you can make sure you have no conflicts in parameter assignments...

Or at the very least, try another similar preset...
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help on this.

For the key Combi's it looks like it was user error, as the Tone Adjust settings for the EXi did include a V/C switch. My apologies for confusing people.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: