Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA1000 auto fill/ 4 fill buttons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vili19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: PA1000 auto fill/ 4 fill buttons Reply with quote

Hey all. First time poster, 10 year owner of a Pa800 sold few days ago. It was a great machine to me.

I was about to place an order for the 1000 and was told I would get one at the end of january. Fine.

Few days ago found out there is no fill buttons but there is the "Auto Fill" button.

What does this Auto Fill exacly do? Fill buttons are important to my style of play.

Korgs webstie under Style specifications clearly states Demo, 4 Variation, Auto Fill, 4 Fill Buttons. I dont see the 4 fill buttons anywhere on pictures, I've yet to Demo the unit.

Thanks
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way is download Korg Pa1000 User Manual:
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/758/3652/
You will find explanation how Auto fill works on Page #54.
Wink
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
ingar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemik wrote:
Best way is download Korg Pa1000 User Manual:
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/758/3652/
You will find explanation how Auto fill works on Page #54.
Wink
As I understood it the autofill between variations is allways on some how?
Regards Ingar
vili19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Fill
Pa1000 can automatically play a matching fill before each Variation. When
the AUTO FILL indicator is on, when going from a Variation to a different
one a Fill is automatically selected.

This is dumb... Why Korg??
adimatis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense, in both ways:

1. If you want differently, you pay more for at least a 3xLE or soon 4xLE.

2. Most of the people will be happy to have it this way. There are three ways the Auto fill can work. And also is not that difficult to engage whatever fill-in you want toward whatever variation. It just takes some practice.

It is not dumb. It is just different that what you are used to. Smile
ingar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
It makes sense, in both ways:

1. If you want differently, you pay more for at least a 3xLE or soon 4xLE.

2. Most of the people will be happy to have it this way. There are three ways the Auto fill can work. And also is not that difficult to engage whatever fill-in you want toward whatever variation. It just takes some practice.

It is not dumb. It is just different that what you are used to. Smile

Sometimes I do not want an autofill between variations because it does not fit into some songs that I sing. What do I do then? PA 1000 is on my wish list.
adimatis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd do the simplest thing - disengage the auto-fill button. And this can be one-time only (off and on again) or permanent and only engage it when you do need a fill-in (on and off immediatelly after it)

Trust me, the issue is less annoying than it seems right now. You'll get used to it and the new workflow will feel natural after some practice.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Fill-In-Buttons Pa4x Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
.. people will be happy to have it this way .. just takes some practice .. is not dumb. It is just different that .. new workflow will feel natural after some practice ..

I dont think so - this is only like Korg advertises. It is different and lacks convenient random access triggering of fill-ins - that really is dumb.

Trust me, in practice no workflow can replace a simple keystroke to a single button for triggering that Fill-In you want select individually (excluding a footswitch to trigger fill-in remote-controlled).

PS: The same applies to the omitted function "Fill-Mode" to use Fill-Buttons for transition to variations (V1 & V2 ... V3 & V4, Var.Up / Var.Down, Var.Inc / Var.Dec, To Var.1 ... To Var.4 ).

With the also omitted Style-Preferences on STS-level (now reduced and only global) you get big restrictions compared to the predecessor models (Pa500 / 800 / 3X). These functions are not replaceable with any workflow.

Using preferenced Velocity-Control it was possible to use styles in a comfortable way, separately for each STS - you can do that with Pa1000 and miss that functions in case you ever used such functions with a predecessor.

Autofill really is no comparable replacement for Fill-Mode, Style-Preferences and Fill-Buttons. Autofill also is nothing new, but aready exists in Pa3x, so Pa100 seems to be a step backwards in the development of the style player

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
adimatis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I might be wrong as I do not have the Pa700 yet.

But this should work. If not, it is a little bit dumb. Smile But if it works, it works:

For example, if you play variation 2 and want to trigger fill-in 4, going after that to variation 1, I think pressing button 4 and then immediatelly pressing button 1 should achieve exactly that. This is under the "target variation" auto-fill mode option.

Wouldn't it work like this? If not - bad. But this was exactly how my old Roland E60 used to work. Had no issues with choosing whatever fill-in I wanted, at any time.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong BUT

It may be that once you have your chosen style and saved it to the Songbook with the desired Keyboard Sets and Pad assignments together with the initial Introduction and subsequent Variation that you can then go into the Style Record > Chord table and change the chords used in each of the four Fills.

The apprpopriate Fill will be played depending upon which Variation is used before the transition via the Fill to the selected Ending.

Like I said I may be wrong but this is how it looks in the 700 manual and hence I think the 1000 would be similar.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Fill-Buttons Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
this is how it looks in the 700 manual and hence I think the 1000 would be similar ..

Each time using Auto-Fill you get an appropriate Fill but you do get not that Fill you want to use individually - and that is a step backward in development, because in predecessors you also could use Auto-Fill, you could also use individual Fill-Mode for individual transitions and you could trigger individual Fill-in with simple single-touch-button without monkey grip with two fingers in time-critical situations.

For newcomers it is certainly no advantage to omit three buttons and a function, which had proven so far very well from users playing previous models.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fill-Buttons Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
this is how it looks in the 700 manual and hence I think the 1000 would be similar ..

Each time using Auto-Fill you get an appropriate Fill but you do get not that Fill you want to use individually - and that is a step backward in development, because in predecessors you also could use Auto-Fill, you could also use individual Fill-Mode for individual transitions and you could trigger individual Fill-in with simple single-touch-button without monkey grip with two fingers in time-critical situations.

For newcomers it is certainly no advantage to omit three buttons and a function, which had proven so far very well from users playing previous models.

Yes I can see how having the multiple Fill buttons would be an advantage.

I am suggesting what maybe a workaround by using what may be a different workflow.

Not tried it myself, just looked in the manual which seems to have been written by an ex Microsoft Help Systems person, hence it is a bit confusing and circulatory in explanations.
Korg Fan #1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pa900 (which I have and id assume its the same on the pa1000) there is a button to turn auto fill on or off; when on the fill of the variation you are coming out of is played (i.e. if youre leaving variation 2 you will get fill 2)
john jay

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: controlling FILLS on Pa 1000 Reply with quote

I've had mine for about 3 months now. It claims to be a professional Arranger. Well I've got lots of song fragments and patterns recorded into style elements but I haven't been able to arrange them into songs because the FILL-INS don't seem to function properly. Something called "AUTO-FILL" keeps sabotaging my work. If I turn it off, I get no FILLS at all. This "FEATURE" has proven to be a powerful tool indeed, to prevent the user from arranging music the way they want it.
Judging from the interface, everything necessary is there to select the fill you want and trigger it. It's the most basic sequencer application. All the proprietary self promoting hype in the literature gives that clear impression. Perhaps they disabled these functions to make you buy an even more expensive unit. If that's true then they're selling broken stuff. I've been searching forums for insight and people have commented on this problem. No one yet has said definitively how to resolve it. not even from Korg! I can only assume it just doesn't work, and they're not gonna say so.

I recommend this keyboard to someone with money to burn and needs a gift for a non musically inclined child to amuse themselves pushing buttons to hear what surprises come out. I cant recommend this keyboard to someone who needs a "Professional Arranger", since I can't arrange on it.

I could do complete songs on my 25 year old [$5oo] Yamaha PSR 510, which is a low end Arranger-Workstation. The Korg PA 1000 cost me 4 times that. I feel ripped off.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@john jay
sorry to hear that, but I think you didn't fully understand manual how this works in Pa1000.
1. Auto- Fill button is engaging fills together with variations, means if you turn off is NO Fill at all.
2. Besides Auto-fill button has in Global > Mode Preferences > Style 1 page function called: Auto Fill Mode.
in User manual on page 60 is explanation how this works.
In case you can't find it, look on picture below:

Hope this going to help you stop sabotaging your work. Wink
BTW, in Pa700 and Pa1000 is only improving Auto-Fill, in older versions of Pa (600, 300, 3xle) was only 1 mode, was only Current Variation mode. ... means nothing worse, just improvement. Very Happy
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: