Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple admits to DELIBERATELY slowing phones down.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Apple admits to DELIBERATELY slowing phones down. Reply with quote

From Apple:

""""Apple has confirmed the suspicions of many iPhone owners by revealing it does deliberately slow down some models of the iPhone as they age.
Many customers have long suspected that Apple slows down older iPhones to encourage people to upgrade.""""

So, my thinking wasn't a conspiracy theory after all then.
Shocked

Apple's iPhones slowed to tackle ageing batteries
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42438745

My iPad Air 2s fine though but best go steady with these "updates".

Not only that, but Apple should EXCLUDE older products from there upgrad list. My brother for example has an iPhone 5 that upgraded itself ! In the night at 3 am and it almost crippled it. That can't be right surely? Illegal perhaps?

Tony

JOHN 3:16
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a healthy distrust of large corps. Based on decades of working for them.

With that, lets acknowledge a bigger picture.

Which includes a more serious problem.

Rechargeable lithium batteries have a limited lifespan. IOW, they go to the shitter over time. Lithium batteries also can be a fire hazard.

Ever see a 600 degree burning lithium battery ? Thats pure aluminum exploding in the device and melting.

Its probably a good idea to put less stress on these batteries as they age.

I don't believe in getting worked up if these tech cos want more of my money.

Thats been going on +1000 years.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad 2 Air.

The iPad 2 had slowed down massively.

iOS v7 was brilliant on iPad 2, but it slowed after upgrading from iOS 7 to 8. Upgrading it to 9.3.5 - the last iOS version supported by iPad 2 - caused it to slow dramatically, more than anything else. It largely and instantly converted it into a cabbage.

Unfortunately with Apple 1) you can delay, but are still eventually forced to update to the latest OS after it becomes available, and 2) you cannot revert, restore or reinstall an early OS if you don't like the latest version, therefore the unit effectively becomes locked into lower performance.

The iPad 2 was constantly crashing on iOS 9 as well, when it was perfectly fine beforehand. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they directly employed passive-aggressive annoyances to get you to upgrade the hardware. As a result, I would be loathed to buy a new Apple device. I only got the Air 2 second hand as I have a number of music apps that I can't otherwise use on an Android device or similar.

Last edited by Timo on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Timo, my iPad Air 2 works flawless, and just done a geekbench (4) on my iPhone 6. And air 2 running 10.3.3

IPhone 6:

Single core 797

Multi core. 1371

Now the iPad Air 2 also on ios 10.3.3:

Single core: 1823

Multi core: 4388

notice the MASSIVE difference between the phone and iPad Air 2? There shouldn't be "that much of a gap" looking at online tests, but the iphone is decked by my air 2 scores. Also of note, is that my iPad Air 2 is older than my iPhone 6 and used more.

PS: just wondering if charging my iPhone 6 on the iPad Air 2 charger has damaged it? Even if Apple do say its ok. ? And would A NEW battery speed my iphone up again/ as get 6-7 hours battery life on the phone, so battery seems ok?? So its not like Ive got 2-3 hours battery on the phone....

Maybe its just their phones. (No discounting old iPad 2's like you had)

Tony.

Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards the bugs, I was referring to the original iPad 2, not Air 2. The iPad 2 was discontinued 2014, the Air2 was only discontinued this last year.

The latest iOS on Air2 runs really well, though. However I've found the colours on the Air2 are dreadful compared to the iPad2, though. They seem so digitally saturated and unnatural.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
W ? And would A NEW battery speed my iphone up again/ as get 6-7 hours battery life on the phone, so battery seems ok?? So its not like Ive got 2-3 hours battery on the phone....

Maybe its just their phones. (No discounting old iPad 2's like you had)

Tony.

The DIY option

How hard can it be to replace an iPhone battery? Remove some screws, open up the case, take out the old battery, plug in the new one and you're done, right?

Right. Except those screws are tiny. The case is hard to get open. Inside, you have to remove a bunch more screws and some fragile ribbon cables just to get to the battery. Which is glued in place. Then you have to do it all in reverse.

If you've never ventured inside an iPhone before, this can be some nerve-wracking surgery. It helps to have video-tutorial guidance (see below), but trust me when I say it's easy to make a mistake. And if you flub along the way, you'll brick your phone.

The DIY option, however, is definitely the cheapest -- even if it only saves you about $20. Replacement battery kits are available from Amazon, eBay and countless other sources, most of them priced anywhere from $10-$30.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg.

iv done battery replacement in iPhone 3G, 4gs but not inside an iPhone 6 (seen some YouTube vids and yes, they're a it fiddly). I'll l way up the situation and see whether £79 (ouch)! for an "appple-replacements" and a guarantee, versus a risky £20.

Tony.

Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of nonsense from Apple is precisely why, despite a desperate lust for Gadget, I have never obtained it.

I fully intend to, this coming year, on Nintendo Switch.

I mourn for the days, decades ago, when Apple was really focused on the needs of creators. It seems like a fairytale now, doesn't it?

"Gather round, young'ins, and let Grampa Koekepan tell ye all a tale of the days when Apple and Commodore fought like titans over the artists of the world ..."
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People upgrade because they want to they always need the newest most latest device which is there own fault, i've had an iphone 5s for the longest time although it might seem a little slower because its memory is almost maxed out but still until it completely breaks i will upgrade, the speeds were not that drastic that you need to upgrade although Apple played a huge role in it.
I will still use iphone not enough to change because of this news unless they something that will compromise security privacy.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
How hard can it be to replace an iPhone battery? Remove some screws, open up the case, take out the old battery, plug in the new one and you're done, right?

Right. Except those screws are tiny. The case is hard to get open. Inside, you have to remove a bunch more screws and some fragile ribbon cables just to get to the battery. Which is glued in place. Then you have to do it all in reverse.

I watched open heart surgery on an iPhone at the mall earlier this week. Yikes!

Them screws is small!

Thumbs Up
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
GregC wrote:

I watched open heart surgery on an iPhone at the mall earlier this week. Yikes!

Them screws is small!

Thumbs Up

Not only are small screws annoying.

Very tiny print is very annoying. Seems like all these cos are using ' super tiny font' size Wink
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple implement algorithms on older devices with newer OS's that are more power hungry, in order to manage battery recharge times. There's no conspiracy here - just smart power management.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Apple implement algorithms on older devices with newer OS's that are more power hungry, in order to manage battery recharge times. There's no conspiracy here - just smart power management.

I also tried to post/point out the problem with batteries getting old/going bad.

A bigger gripe is that these devices are not user friendly for something as ordinary as a battery replacement. Could be a cheap short cut by these cos.

And folks love their conspiracy theories. Makes for fun Internet topics.

And once in a while the media likes to rile folks up with ' stuff'
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Apple "everything" - iPhone, iPad, MBP, MBA, LPX, ....

but you'll get no argument from me - I find the company reprehensible in so many regards:

- Soldering RAM into their computers so you can't upgrade
- 16GB limit on MBP RAM - since 2011!
- iPads non-upgrdable after only a few years
- Removal of all ports from computers
- Removal of headphone socket from iPhone
- Relentless dropping of Bus and Port standards
- Poor backward compatibility
- Feature changes in the likes of iOS and iTunes that drive you nuts
- iTunes FAR past its sell by date as a content management environment
- iCloud "mess" - perpetually loosing data inadvertently deleted across devices
- LPX 16-MIDI channel input limit (no recognition of MIDI Hubs or Ports)
- LPX Limit of 255 Instrument channels
- Apple's hugely questionable tax affairs
- Apple's 'might' bullying the Silicon Valley region council (land tax avoidance)
- Apple's music "stunt" with U2

Overall, I find Apple to be one of the most reprehensible companies, ever. Their arrogance beggars belief. Worst of all - they have not come up with one innovative idea since Steve Jobs passed away; while the feature set of almost every Apple application has deteriorated to the point of widespread loathing of them across the planet.

And - even in their darkest era - they still garnered a very loyal following of users - Apple Users - but - they have gone - not just because Apple's devices are increasingly pathetic but also because Apple themselves have in essence told that 'community' that they don't want their loyalty. they have abandoned the high-quality and ease of computing that they were renowned for.

I worked for Sun Microsystems - and even at their peak I could see issues. Sun did not believe in developing applications - they thought that they could always be a hardware company - a fatal flaw because the moment PC/Linux came along, Sun's days were numbered. But would Sun listen? No. They thought the money would keep flowing from universities, government agencies and banks. But it dried up.

Apple are in the very same position. They think they can control their revenue streams through hardware with "style". Only - their hardware is s**t - and it no longer stand out, style wise.

So as powerful as they are, I believe their days are seriously numbered. Unless they embrace serious computing at affordable prices, they can forget about it - and if their latest $12,000+ iMac and $1000+ iPhones are anything to go by, then they can forget about any long term future.

I use Apple "everything" because I', a Logic Pro user and because at one point it was an advantage to use Apple hardware; but I, like increasing millions across the globe, just loath the company.

One exception - iPad is still an amazing 'paradigm' that other companies have not quite equalled yet (I know there'll be debate on that but iPad is a remarkable device and approach to technical 'living and working').
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

- Soldering RAM into their computers so you can't upgrade

Seriously? Wow... I've not used an Apple since the G4 and although they did seem slightly less flexible than a PC, hardware wise, I never came across soldered RAM. That's like some defence force hardware standard for computers in places that will have bombs land on them. They should have encased the whole mainboard in resin also for maximum vibration resistance. At least that's one thing off the trouble shooting list: "Are all components seated correctly?" RAM, tick!

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Worst of all - they have not come up with one innovative idea since Steve Jobs passed away

BINGO! Apple fell over and couldn't get back up again near the end of the 90's. Jobs, being the good dad he was, stepped in and helped his kid stand up again, fashioned a few very nice walking sticks for them, but they never learnt to make them themselves nearly as well as he did. They are lucky their product saturation ensured business for a long time after Steve passed away.

At least Apple don't make cars.....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: