Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple admits to DELIBERATELY slowing phones down.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Here's something to ponder over.

What if Korg follow suit for say the Kronos.
Imagine after every major firmware update, you lose some polyphony.
- at some eventual stage , Karma gets reduced to 2 modules, or audio glitches.
- you start feeling more latency (large sample buffers)
In a nutshell,your older projects no longer work the way they used to.
The things/power/features you need and paid for no longer work as expected as the manufacturer thinks/has started thinking otherwise.

How would u feel?

Happy Holidays all!

I understand your point. But I notice most ' analogies ' or comparisons are flawed.

Kronos does not have any reliance on a battery. It would never happen since I believe Kronos needs steady power. Had to point out the obvious.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, but only if you say so! Wink Rolling Eyes
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple can be nothing short of being arrogant and pig ignorant to the millions of users at times.

Its not rocket science to have the software warn the user that their battery performace is getting to the level that a replacement battery is required.

As I understand it battery life cycles before the performance degrades vary depending upon the depth of discharge and hence its a wide ball park. For a typical partial discharge and recharge c1000 charge cycles or say 3 years should be reasonably expected before performance drops off.

Ergo Apple is trying to con their users by their ineptitude of thinking that users are not as smart as they are when we know opposite.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Apple is they are in the same position as Microsoft was a decade ago. They are market leader amd make to much money, which gets them treated with loads of unbriddled hatred.

Thats just human nature...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Apple can be nothing short of being arrogant and pig ignorant to the millions of users at times.

Its not rocket science to have the software warn the user that their battery performace is getting to the level that a replacement battery is required.

As I understand it battery life cycles before the performance degrades vary depending upon the depth of discharge and hence its a wide ball park. For a typical partial discharge and recharge c1000 charge cycles or say 3 years should be reasonably expected before performance drops off.

Ergo Apple is trying to con their users by their ineptitude of thinking that users are not as smart as they are when we know opposite.

Thats true. We are all lemmings until we find out there is an app to help educate us:

https://www.howtogeek.com/254739/how-to-check-your-iphones-battery-health/

There are quite a few apps out there that will check the status of your battery right from your phone, but we found one that is pleasantly simple, free, and available in the App Store.

If you can put up with some annoying ads, Battery Life Doctor
is able to give you a straightforward, no-nonsense display of your iPhone’s battery health status. There are several different sections in the app, but the one you’ll want to focus on is “Battery Life”. Tap on “Details” to get more info about your battery’s health status.

(On this screen, the first thing you’ll notice is the big graphic, which tells you the overall health of your battery, either by saying “Perfect”, “Good”, “Bad”, etc. You’ll also see “Wear Level” followed by a percentage. This is how much your battery has degraded. So if it reads 13%, then the total charge capacity that the battery can hold is 87% of its original maximum (a brand new battery will be 100%).)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
The problem with Apple is they are in the same position as Microsoft was a decade ago. They are market leader amd make to much money, which gets them treated with loads of unbriddled hatred.

Thats just human nature...

Thats definitely a fair point.

I don't thing this is such big news

Apple is all about giving their shareholders more value.

Look at the stock. Stock Price was around $120 per share beginning 2017.

Its $170 today.
Thats not a fluke either.

If Apple was so fracking awful, the stock price would reflect it.

And its not.

No matter what we post here. I did say something about understanding the bigger picture. Look at that stock performance in case
there's interest in the bigger picture of a co like Apple.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sharp - Apple are are dynamically controlling some _some_ operations- not _all_ operations - for power conservations reasons.

Yet you're persisting on accusing them of purposely slowing down iPhones. At the same time, you're actually purposely slowing down replying speeds on this forum, where there is no need for it with the volume of traffic on this forum. Can't you see the irony (or contradiction??).

amit wrote:
Here's something to ponder over.

What if Korg follow suit for say the Kronos.
Imagine after every major firmware update, you lose some polyphony.
- at some eventual stage , Karma gets reduced to 2 modules, or audio glitches.
- you start feeling more latency (large sample buffers)
In a nutshell,your older projects no longer work the way they used to.
The things/power/features you need and paid for no longer work as expected as the manufacturer thinks/has started thinking otherwise.

How would u feel?

Happy Holidays all!

@Amit - Korg ARE already doing this - polyphony changes depending on how you load the system! There are active load balancing algorithms in place just for this!

Apple aren't slowing iPhones down - there are algorithms that do it - to load balance. EVERY company does this. It's not a story - and you're using a dozen devices, now, doing the same thing! Why aren't you complaining about those? Here's the answer: because you don't know about them. Apple were up front about this because it's a non-story - there's nothing to hide! It's the posters here who are fabricating a "story" out of this.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proof that it's a "non-story" was exhibited by the stock market today. Apple was down like 2%, and why? Not a single mention of this story. It was because of some analysis that iphone X sales were not possibly going as well as Apple had anticipated. Nothing about this. Crickets.

Personally, I had an iPhone 5 (!) for the last 3 years, up until about a month ago when I got the iPhone X (stunning phone in my opinion, best I've ever had, it's the perfect size and weight and the face recognition thing is exceptional, as is the lack of a home button - it's so much better without one... but I digress) - and I never noticed a problem with it "slowing down" (if in fact it was).

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an iPhone 5. It seems to work just fine, though I don't play games and only have like 6 apps besides the official ones.

Just saw this right now:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-faces-lawsuits-saying-slows-down-aging-iphones-015058901--finance.html

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with these "class action" lawsuits is that they are all ginned up by lawyers hoping to represent the "aggrieved class" -> massive dollars for the lawyers.

If they were even successful, the end result would be:

$15 gift certificate for each iphone owner

$2,000,000 for the law firm.

amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

@Amit - Korg ARE already doing this - polyphony changes depending on how you load the system! There are active load balancing algorithms in place just for this!

I understand Kevin, been in this industry for very long.

Part of what I said was based off some misinformed article I read as well as perhaps the author going bit overboard with it.

I have no objections to what they are doing, it's just how its being done, especially with users not being aware of that.

Throttling is a common thing, as 90% consumers work for instantaneous load as opposed to constant load systems. If throttling is what is apple is donig then that is nothing new and i don't even know why that had to become a news.

From what I read (or what was implied) was that apple is slowing the systems down permanently based off battery AGE (and not load).
IOW, if you battery/phone is old, apple will render your system slow irrespective of if you replaced your battery or are running OFF External POWER. This is a different situation altogether (Static Underclocking) as opposed to dynamic load balancing.

My problem is with the arrogant behavior of manufacturers (not just apple) where they get to decide that a degraded performance is best of me, on a unit of hardware now owned by me without my having any Know/Say in it or rendering the device useless (in case it was a specific use case I bought the device for).

If they want control of the hardware, then they should lease that and after specific period should take it back and offer an upgraded system with nominal charge. Again am not here to discuss business models or anything.

I havent used an iPhone since v3 , but have many iPads.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
The thing with these "class action" lawsuits is that they are all ginned up by lawyers hoping to represent the "aggrieved class" -> massive dollars for the lawyers.

If they were even successful, the end result would be:

$15 gift certificate for each iphone owner

$2,000,000 for the law firm.

Totally! I get 50 cents checks from time to time from "class action suits" that I didn't even know I was a part of!!! I just received one the other day. It had to do with my car's airbag or something...

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
At the same time, you're actually purposely slowing down replying speeds on this forum, where there is no need for it with the volume of traffic on this forum. Can't you see the irony (or contradiction??).

Just proves what I said in my last post. You really don't listen.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOS should give the iPhone user an option to tell it when a new battery has been installed so that the "brakes" can be taken off again....if that is the only reason the performance is being throttled.

jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think most of the negative comments about this are from Android users needing an excuse to make up for the exploding phones, i prefer a slower phone than an exploding one anyday. I don't think anyone could have told the difference i had my i5s for years it never got that slow to the point i needed to upgrade, all my Apple devices still work very well, i won't change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: