Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I Record a Triton Combi into my Oasys sequencer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocFingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: How do I Record a Triton Combi into my Oasys sequencer? Reply with quote

I'm Midi-illiterate and digitally challenged, so PLEASE, if you are knowledgeable and kind enough to answer this question, do so in a simple step by step manner. Please do not assume I know anything about connecting the 2 keyboards, or doing anything with Midi. Thank you! (MUCH APPRECIATED!) Here goes:

I wrote an instrumental on my Triton keyboard using a particular Triton combi sound that works well for this song.
I would like to play that same Triton sound using my Oasys and then record the song into the Oasys sequencer in stereo onto tracks 1 and 2, and then Add 8 additional tracks to the song into the Oasys sequencer using sounds from the Oasys, and then mix it all down into a wav file.

(Step by step please) HOW DO i GO ABOUT ACCOMPLISHING THIS?
Doc Fingers

"An Analog Mind Trapped in a Digital Universe"
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, you can keep everything in the MIDI domain, until you record your whole mix to disk or USB.

1) MIDI out from Kronos to Triton MIDI in. In Triton Global, turn off Program/Bank changes, so you don't have to worry about the wrong sounds loading up. Now, set the Triton Global MIDI clock to EXTERNAL. This will keep your Combi's timing in sync with the OASYS' BPM. Now, you can use an OASYS drum pattern with your Triton.

2) Triton L/R out to OASYS in, either 1/2 or 3/4. In Global - Audio, you can assign inputs 1/2 or 3/4 so that they can be heard on the OASYS' L/R. Pan left and right. Now, you can hear internal sounds and Triton sounds.

3) Assuming your Triton is on default MIDI channel 1, you can set up your OASYS sequencer to control it from MIDI Track 1. (It can be any track you want. If something other than channel 1, just set the Triton Global receive channel accordingly.) On the OASYS, set the TRACK PARAMETER - MIDI - Track Status to EXT. If you want the sounds from both keyboards, select BOTH.

4) Record your song, with the Triton on Track 1, and the eight OASYS sounds on Tracks 2 - 9. When you play back this MIDI performance, the Triton combi and OASYS sounds should all sound.

5) For recording to Disk or USB, you are going to record the OASYS' L/R signal. Select the AUDIO IN/SAMPLING tab. Settings should be:

Source bus = L/R
Trigger = SEQUENCE START SW
Record to = Disk.

From the dropdown menu, choose SELECT DIRECTORY. Navigate to the file you would like to record the song to. Name it. Press DONE.

6) On the far right of your OASYS, under Sampling, press both the REC and START/STOP switches. They should be lit up. Press the Sequence START switch to start the sample recording process. Stop the sequencer or sampler, when the song is over. No need for silent audio at the end of the file.

Recording is over. Go to DISK mode and open up the file you recorded to. Highlight the wav file and press the onscreen PLAY button to hear it.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about your Triton Combi, like is it a layer (all on one channel) or a performance (drums and sounds on different channels)? If it is a layer, what I said above, applies.

If it is a performance, you may need to see what channels are being used. To do so, you can simply play the Triton from each OASYS MIDI Track. Try channel 1, then 2, 3 and so on. If there is a sound being used on channel 2, leave it alone and look for another slot to play an OASYS sound on.

You may need to go through your Triton's combi and set default piano sounds (on unused channels) to zero or off. For OASYS sounds, use the INTernal setting, instead of EXT to play OASYS sounds only.
DocFingers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Much Gratitude, my friend Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help! Enough info to keep me quite busy for a while. Idea

"An Analog Mind Trapped in a Digital Universe"
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of the process:

https://youtu.be/a3Eu3h4kwXk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: