Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware component compatibilty between Kronos 2 and X 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Hardware component compatibilty between Kronos 2 and X 88 Reply with quote

This is more of a question for folks with tech experience on the Kronos........

I recently purchased a secondhand Kronos2 88, and have always owned a KronosX 88 from new. The secondhand unit, I suspect has had considerably more use than my X88, so I was debating whether to sell the X, or keep it for spares on the 2. I know the Intel motherboard is different and obviously the case design. My X is about the same vintage as the 2, which were new roughly the same time. (mid 2015)
Is the RH3 keybed exactly the same part number for both or are there updates in the 2's design? Is the X's keybed directly compatible if I needed to install it in the 2?
I'm wondering also if the interface boards, such as the sliders and pots are directly compatible. Certainly the panel metrics on top appear to be the same.

I'm asking anyone who has had practical experience in the replacement of these parts. I could discover the answer by disassembling them myself, but I'm basically too lazy to go to all the trouble until I have a good reason to open them up Smile If no one on the forum knows, I'm guessing my next bet is to talk to Korg directly, but I may get a non certain answer depending who I get to talk to.

I guess I'm really only interested in keeping spares for things which may in the future be rarer or expensive to replace.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you are or plan to be a long term K owner ?

At least thats my plan, I define long term as +9 years.
My motivation is to protect the Song format and my song portfolio.

With that and other motives, I think its wise for a long termer to have a 2nd K .
The 2nd K could also be lightly used, all this depending on budget, etc.

Anyway, I am 95% sure the K2 keybed is identical to your X.

All your questions , as you state, likely need a reply from Korg directly or folks experienced in service, as in the business or as owners(with hands on)

Your post is a good topic for us long term types that prefer to plan.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Greg, I've always planned on keeping at least one Kronos until it's one of the last beasts in the wild!

We've discussed this topic in several guises a number of times, and I have always thought of the Kronos quite differently to other hardware only keyboards, and have more than one for these reasons, as I do intend to keep them for as long as I can, and always want a backup.

I know the RH3 keybed was improved between the Kronos and X, and I'm assuming it's pretty much the same between the X and 2. Given that both my units were manufactured at about the same time, I can only hope they are the same part. I guess I'm mostly interested having backups of the wearing mechanical parts, ie. keybed, joysticks, pots and switches, and even the touchscreen. As these appear to all be the same despite a different casing shape, and these are all things which may give me a rejuvenation without the hassle of transferring paid libraries....unless of course I have to replace the motherboard. Despite the RH3 mechanically being the same, I was more wanting to ascertain whether having a newer motherboard for instance, changed any cabling headers etc which I would only know by pulling things apart, or asking somebody with the practical knowledge.

I've seen some very subtle differences in Kronos 2, from year to year. The latest versions have a smoother matt finish on the ribbon controller. Presumably creates less friction on your finger than the coarser textured surface, (which eventually shows smooth wear marks from use anyway). I would assume that electrically there would be no change. There may be hardware batch changes in chipsets recently, as I notice there are quite a few reports of current new Kronos 2's having the occasional initial bootup problem.

Keeping the spare for parts might all seem like a lot of hassle when I could just keep the intact X as a backup, but this presents me the hassle of having to transfer libraries. Because of this and the way I work, I find that a bigger hassle.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=650662&sid=53772426d7cf428546ced14bfcedb913

Some good info about the differences between the K2 and KX
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=650662&sid=53772426d7cf428546ced14bfcedb913

Some good info about the differences between the K2 and KX

Thanks for the link. I do remember reading this topic at the time, unfortunately it gives a user impression of the differences, where I'm really wanting to know technical compatibility of components within on the 2 machines.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed a few mods on my K2 (see sig) so got quite a few pics of its inside, components, etc. Don't know much about the earlier X model though, but you could at least compare the components, etc.

For sure, there are new things in the K2 not seen in earlier models. Not only the MB but also for example an additional metal plate on which the PS is attached, this probably to add protection and improve heat dissipation, etc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Yes Greg, I've always planned on keeping at least one Kronos until it's one of the last beasts in the wild!

Keeping the spare for parts might all seem like a lot of hassle when I could just keep the intact X as a backup, but this presents me the hassle of having to transfer libraries. Because of this and the way I work, I find that a bigger hassle.

I think I follow your thinking. I would like to get 15 reliable years from my Kronos.

If the keybed goes flakey at year 10, I want a replacement and a repair.
If the internal power supply fries at year 12, I want a replacement and a repair.

IOW, I am not the DIY type. No interest.

I am not sure if an array of replacement parts is going to be easily available from year 2021 thru 2026. It would be nice to never have a part failure. But
I believe in being a realist.

I question, if I have to chase all over the world
to find a LCD replacement and spend $800
for the process. That would suck.

I agree with you 100% on the inability to transfer 3rd party sample libs.
Thats been an issue since day 1 in 2011 and it has not changed.
Not excited about some 20 step copy approach with specialized software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: