Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to globally turn off all rhythmic patches -- doable???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t4techno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: How to globally turn off all rhythmic patches -- doable??? Reply with quote

I will never need to play any of the Kronos patches that start a rhythm the moment a key is pressed, and the last thing I would ever want when searching for a sound during a show or session is for one of those to start up. So I'm hoping there's a global way to toggle off whatever it is that makes all those patches behave that way. Or am I going to have to kill every last one individually? Please advise. Thanks
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to globally turn off all rhythmic patches -- doable? Reply with quote

t4techno wrote:
I will never need to play any of the Kronos patches that start a rhythm the moment a key is pressed, and the last thing I would ever want when searching for a sound during a show or session is for one of those to start up. So I'm hoping there's a global way to toggle off whatever it is that makes all those patches behave that way. Or am I going to have to kill every last one individually? Please advise. Thanks

make an effort to get familiar with ' modes ' of your Kronos

You should stay in Program mode, generally speaking
- can play Programs without any drum patterns

It sounds like you might be going to Combi mode- which has drum track and Karma on most Combis.

Go to GLOBAL to disable Karma and drum tracks- see that check box
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it’s an individual patch thing. It occurs mostly in Combis. There are settings to determine how the drums or KARMA starts on any program. They can be turned off or on but I don’t think Globally for “allpatches.” I can’t find anything that says it can. Check the Global settings (if you haven’t already) but I’ve never seen it.
t4techno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the suggestion, but... Reply with quote

Yes, I realize those happen in mostly in Combis, but restricting myself to Programs to avoid them is not a good solution because of all the other good things about combining Programs I'd miss out on. I'll look for the other settings you mentioned to see if I can kill the rhythm sounds globally. Thanks
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya restricting yourself to Programs is not the solution. But maybe just disable the settings on the ones you need, make a bank of those, save them and maybe put them all in a set list for easy availability?

I’ll check when I get to my KRONOS but like I don’t believe there is a disable all setting to make this happen.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma and drum tracks turn off or disable globally, on the Global mode basics tab page.
Page 753 to 755 of parameter guide says that once the “All Karma Off” and “Drum Track Off” boxes are checked in global mode, no Karma or drum track will play even if Karma and drum track are turned on from the control surface panel where Karma on, drum track and latch buttons are.

Drum tracks are not the only possible source for rhythm patterns playing. Karma is very much a drum track machine in itself, so you will need to turn off Karma globally to be sure no chance of rhythm being driven.

Some sounds may draw patterns from step sequencer or wave sequences, so do not panic if you still stumble across some sounds that seem to have arpeggio or some sort of rhythm work going on in them despite globally disabling Karma and drum track.

Karma and drum track have a linking feature that resides in Karma where the two can link for trigger and clock sync purposes. They each do rhythm patterns and kronos has them able to work together. That should be a good reminder for why it is not enough to just disable drum track globally if you are trying to stop any chance of drum pattern play as you scroll through sounds.
One of my favorite go to factory set Combis, uses drum track for a simple drum pattern and then two Karma modules that each add percussion parts to the simple drum track pattern. The other two Karma module handle arpeggiation to add some twinkle to the acoustic guitar part. STR-AC GTR is the name of the Combi.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down side of disabling Karma globally is that some sounds are designed around Karma arp work. You end up missing out on the fuller dimension of the sound where Karma is used for other than drum pattern parts of a combi or program.
There MAY be creative ways around this via midi but i see none on kronos other than for external devices in and out from Karma via midi.
Maybe a way to weed out the disk mode GE files that load as the drum category? Of course if you can do that, you want to have a duplicate of the original complete GE files to use to restore the drum category GE whenever you need. I think keeping the factory disk mode file intact and editing a copy of it to remove drum category GE, if that is possible or neccessary for you to do for your needs.

GE is the core of what Karma uses to do what it does within Midi I/O and control surface setups. GE’s carry categories of patterns of which drum category is one.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are downsides to turning off Karma in Global settings. Although it may not affect you, see:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=111683

The other way is to turn off drums and Karma from each Combi that has them on by default and save the Combi. Probably quicker done via the editor.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There are downsides to turning off Karma in Global settings. Although it may not affect you, see:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=111683

The other way is to turn off drums and Karma from each Combi that has them on by default and save the Combi. Probably quicker done via the editor.

There is a big difference between "All KARMA Off" and "Load KARMA Settings when changing Program/Combi" - turn the first one off, and leave the second one(s) on. The thread you mentioned is a problem with the second one.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that, Stephen. I had thought "All KARMA Off" included everything to do with KARMA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: