Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimum Cables for my setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sensationlive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Optimum Cables for my setup Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Does it matter what cable types you use to output from your Kronos. I currently plug the Kronos stereo into a Radial Key Largo. Should I be using balanced TRS cables or unbalanced or does it matter (outside of good quality cables vs bad) I am hardwiring my setup so want to only do this once (hopefully Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is equipped for balanced signal. Balanced is better for noise cancelling. If you are outputting to something that does not handle balanced signal, it may not matter what cables you use.

Worse case senario, you will be stuck with a little noise if you are outputting to unbalanced signal sound system or mixer or whatever , so it is better to just have the balanced signal cables where kronos supports balanced signal out and in.
Kronos does USB and S/P DIF output as well. Flexible output assignment over all the 1/4 inch outs(6 of them), and USB or S/P DIF.

As far as sound signal goes, you are covered in every way with kronos.

I used 1/4 inch to XLR for my kronos output to monitor input wiring. Now i have a mixer inbetween and run the 1/4 inch to XLR cables from the mixer out put to the XLR input on the monitors.
Kronos is a mixer too and has to be equipped for flexible signal processing. You can plug a mic or guitar directly into kronos and process it via kronos effects and audio mixer features and then output the processed signal and it all works even if the mic itslef has only XLR out with a cable that converts to 1/4 inch on the end that plugs into Kronos. Kronos has no XLR input or output plugs itself but can definitely work well with signals to and from cables with XLR signal on the other end.

Kronos is balanced signal and that has the noise cancelling advantage.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel the need to run TRS balanced lines to your mixer, then do it. If your KBs are a long way from your mixer, then it might be worth the extra expense. I'm using good quality 3m unbalanced cables and all is well.
sensationlive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I had trouble determining the input spec of the Key Largo but it looks like those are unbalanced. Given that there is no distance issue I'll stick with quality unbalanced. Thanks again
mikeyd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased and started using a Key Largo. I love it and had the same questions as you. I sent an email to Key Largo and they actually called me back. They said no problem running either from you keyboards to the Key Largo. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference in signal or noise.

I also have a pair of QSC K10.2's and asked QSC the same thing regarding running TS or TRS into them from the Key Largo. They advised to run TRS into the QSC's. They said it is possible to run TS but would advise TRS.

So, I run TS from my KRONOS and MOTIF and run TRS to the QSC's. It works most excellent Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: