Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Pirates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffin2003

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: PC Pirates Reply with quote

FYI I just had the experience where a page pops up saying "Your computer has been taken over" more or less and you can't do anything or your files will be taken over and you're directed to go where the page directs. I turned off the laptop then tried to boot up and go back on line but was hi-jacked again. I turned it off again then booted back up w/o going on-line then ran windows defender complete scan and it found the baddie and fixed it. Seems okay now. Cool
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like ransomware; a script is injected somehow into your PC that encrypts various files that the criminals perceive as personal files you would pay to have unlocked, eg pictures and videos. It's an old attack these days and I'm not surprised Defender cleared up the issue, but it's still an annoying experience.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restore from your backup using the one from 2 days before this happened, and you should be fine.

..Joe
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Restore from your backup using the one from 2 days before this happened, and you should be fine.

..Joe

Not always, some of the variations delete shadow copies, restore points and other MS ways of backing up data. Thus the rule of 3's....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use any dedicated security software, like anti-virus, anti-malware/spyware or the like?

I use Avast and Malwarebytes, both are free. Avast has saved my arse a number of times now over the last decade, unlike AVG. I occasionally use Spybot, but it feels deprecated thesedays.

What Windows OS are you using? Is it fully updated?

If I had such a high level threat like a ransomware attack I'd, personally, be very tempted to backup all data and reinstall the OS from a former image (if you have one), or reset/install the OS from scratch. A drastic action, perhaps, but at least I would know the computer would be entirely free of the threat.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also highly recommend you have your data backed up off site via a service like Carbonite or similar. Whilst the current alert affects secure data centres as much as your home computer, the odds of you being struck in both places are hopefully still low. And of course backup locally as well.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Also highly recommend you have your data backed up off site via a service like Carbonite or similar. Whilst the current alert affects secure data centres as much as your home computer, the odds of you being struck in both places are hopefully still low. And of course backup locally as well.

Quoting for effect. Rule of 3's to a tee. Online offline offsite.
DwayneDep

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Also highly recommend you try D-Bal Max and have your data backed up off site via a service like Carbonite or similar. Whilst the current alert affects secure data centres as much as your home computer, the odds of you being struck in both places are hopefully still low. And of course backup locally as well.

That's some scary stuff, man. Didn't happen to me and I hope it never does. It did happen to the company I used to work for though. They're still recovering from that ransomware attack a year later.

Last edited by DwayneDep on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
alfredharper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I have seen similar issues at other forums and I can say that it can be a cyberattack and you risk losing some data in such cases. I've read a lot of information about How Much Damage Does Data Leakage cause? So it will be good to use any antiviruses and antimalware to prevent such a problem. You risk losing very important data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: