Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 USB power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 USB power Reply with quote

Does anyone know the output in amps of the Kronos USB sockets? Reason I ask, I'm looking to get either a Tascam DR70 or Zoom H6 to mount on it, and I'm hoping to run them on USB power. I need 1Amp.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos user manual states "There is a limitation to the total current supplied to all connected USB devices, as defined by the USB specification. If the total current consumption of the connected devices exceeds this limit, the KRONOS may not correctly recognize the connected USB devices. If this happens, the error message “USB Hub Power Exceeded!” will appear."

This would imply 500mA per USB A port, so a total maximum current of 1A. In a test just run done just now, it was found that the Kronos will deliver 1A (I managed to get 1.01A) from one USB A port without triggering the USB HUB Power Exceeded message.

Hope that helps.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos user manual states "There is a limitation to the total current supplied to all connected USB devices, as defined by the USB specification. If the total current consumption of the connected devices exceeds this limit, the KRONOS may not correctly recognize the connected USB devices. If this happens, the error message “USB Hub Power Exceeded!” will appear."

This would imply 500mA per USB A port, so a total maximum current of 1A. In a test just run done just now, it was found that the Kronos will deliver 1A (I managed to get 1.01A) from one USB A port without triggering the USB HUB Power Exceeded message.

Hope that helps.

Thanks that's great. I'm not using the USB-A's at the moment, just the USB B so hopefully that should mean I get the full power allocation without any problem.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1A consumption by the DR-70 (inferred from the 5W max in the spec) is almost certainly worst case, supplying phantom power via the mic inputs and max volume to the headphones.

For comparison, the Tascam DP-008 consumes around 200mA during recording (no phantom power and a comfortable headphone monitoring level), and only hits a maximum of around 210mA during the power up sequence.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The 1A consumption by the DR-70 (inferred from the 5W max in the spec) is almost certainly worst case, supplying phantom power via the mic inputs and max volume to the headphones.

For comparison, the Tascam DP-008 consumes around 200mA during recording (no phantom power and a comfortable headphone monitoring level), and only hits a maximum of around 210mA during the power up sequence.

Thanks again for this voip.
I'm leaning towards the Zoom H6 I think, so wonder if it's similar consumption.
One other thought - I only want the power from the Kronos, I don't want either device to try and interface with one another, if you know what I mean.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A data block USB connector would prevent the Kronos from trying to enumerate the recording device. A company called PortaPow make simple data block USB pass throughs and USB cables. Their products include a "smart charge chip", which may be useful in persuading the recorder to draw more than 500mA, if it needs to. Some USB devices (mobile phones are an example) will only draw a maximum of 500mA from a USB supply, unless they are "told" by the supply that it is capable of more than this. The PortaPow devices spoof the necessary messaging between them and the powered device, whilst also blocking USB data. The powered device needs to be able to respond to the "SmartCharge" message protocol, of course, which the H6 and DR-70 may not. Either way, it is likely they will probably work OK.

Last edited by voip on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the H6, estimated worst case: operating times given in the user manual for battery operation are given as 9h45m, using 96kHz 24bit, all four inputs, and the XY mic (stereo x 3). AA alkaline cells are rated at max ~2700mAh, which equates to a current consumption of ~275mA.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Zoom H6 works brilliantly powered off the Kronos USB socket - without even the need for a data block cable. I tried it last night on a gig.

It's great to only need 2 mains sockets for a 2 board rig, with no need for wall warts.

Thanks for your help VOIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: