Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg kronos 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kprl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: korg kronos 2 Reply with quote

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help.
I am new to Korg Forums.

I have a kronos 2 version 3.1.2 and have downloaded some 3rd party sounds. As far as I can make out they always download to user G bank as default. How can I move them to a different bank like CC?

I am sure there is is a simple answer, one which I cant find on Youtube or in the manual.

Forgive me if there is a simple answer. I wondered if I had overlooked something, or was being a complete idiot in not doing the obvious

Yours hopefully

kprl
mikelees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I assume that the third party sounds are programs rather than combis, in which case in the program you want to move, select the pull-down menu at the top right corner of the screen and choose “Write Program...”. In the pop up window, you can choose a new name for the program and a new location.

There are 2 types of program, HD1 and Exi, depending on which synth engine is used. By default, banks CC and DD are for Exi programs only, and FF and GG are for HD1 programs. If your original program loaded to bank G, then it would be a HD1 program that you can only save to a HD1 bank like FF or GG.

Hope that helps!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kprl, welcome to the forum!

When you load at the pcg level, you don't have the choice, and it loads to the saved default location,

However if you click open on the pcg, rather than load, you will see the programs, combis, wav seq etc. inside.
Once you see these folders, click load on these, (or if there is more than one bank inside the pcg, select the chosen bank first), and the dialog will give you the choice as to which bank to store them. When you change the bank location, you will be able to browse to a bank which you choose, either to load into an unused bank, or overwrite a bank of programs you choose. (Decide on this beforehand), You can load the programs halfway through a bank, (append to an existing set of programs), if it is less then the full bank set, otherwise it will load to the end of the bank and not load the overflow.

Clicking open on the programs, combis etc will open this folder and show the individual programs etc. You have some limited audition function of the programs as you browse, and you can individually select programs, combis etc and select where you want them to load to. Just note that combis, wav seqs,etc may require the programs to be located in default to play correctly, unless you modify the combi's program sources, or the programs wave seq locations, etc.

When loading individual programs etc, browsing for a load destination allows you to browse through you onboard programs, (or combis etc), so you can choose where to to load on the fly without checking a free location first)!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info about HD-1 and EXi banks is important.
But once you take note of that, you can change the bank type designations from HD-1 to EXi or EXi to HD-1. You can decide which “bank type” you want per any bank location -such as U-CC or U-G. If your default program-load is ever regected from the default U-G bank when you load it, check the bank-type of the loading data to determine if it is HD-1 or EXi ,to match whatever bank type U-G/default bank is set to.

Go to Global mode “Basics” tab page and then select the drop down menu. You will see “Set Program Bank Type”. Select that and then an edit window for that will pop open, “No change” will be default and then you can select any bank to be HD-1 or EXi. Remember to go back to the drop down menu and select “Write Global Settings” to be sure your changes are saved permanently. Otherwise you will end up with the old settings once you power off Kronos.

Once you sort out what your bank types are and match it to your 3rd party sounds’ bank type, go to Disk-Mode and select the “Load” tab page.

In Disk mode “Load” Page, select your sound set’s “Programs” files and then select “Open” at the bottom of the screen. It will open to the Bank selection.
Select which bank you want to load (G bank). Then press “Load” at the bottom right of screen. A window will open and it will list the Load Destination options. Default will be A to A or G to G. But you can set the “To” as any bank you want [but it is safer to use only empty user banks]. So you are loading bank G to any of the 20 bank options or actually only the banks that match the bank type settings or more importantly loading only to empty User banks.. (work out “bank type” settings in Global mode and be sure to only work it out only in empty user banks).

Do the disk mode load and the entire Bank will load to where you want it and it will also remain in the bank it was originally. So you will have two banks of identical content.
Now you can move to delete the one you do not want.

To delete the original Bank, go to program mode and go to the Main/drop down Menu at top right screen. Select “Initialize program”. A small window will open with an option for “All Programs In Bank”. Select that and then press “OK” to initialize all programs in the bank you have open.

4 parts to the whole thing.

1. Global mode to sort out bank type. Sort out only empty User banks to be safe -without later on having disaters in Combi mode.

2. Disk mode to load targeted bank to an empty user bank where you need it.

3. Program mode to delete/initialize the original/U-G bank that you do not need.

4. After all is done as you need it to be, go to disk mode and do a save PCG or Save all but save it as an entirely new PCG or save all ,without overwriting or deleting the old PCG file.

You could skip the Program mode intitialize process and just wait until you have another sound set to load and that will simply overwrite the U-G bank content by default.

VERY IMPORTANT TO WORK ONLY WITH EMPTY USER BANKS AND NOT THE FACTORY LOADED I/INTERNAL OR PREVIOUSLY LOADED USER BANKS. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE COMPLEXITIES OF ARRANGNEMENTS IN COMBI MODE ARE TIED TO BANKS AND SLOTS OF PROGRAM MODE. ANY CHANGES TO PROGRAM LOCATIONS AND BANK TYPES WILL CHANGE COMBIS IN OUT-OF-CONTROL WAYS. If you are sure a previously loaded bank is not tied to any combis, then you are safer to change that around.

If you make a mistake, you can always start over again with a reload of your original disk mode PCG files and yes be sure you always have a copy of the original PCG files for back up.

Again. Once you are done and have all as you need it to be, go to disk mode and go to “Save” tab page and do a “Save PCG” or “Save all” to make a file of you new bank content and global settings. Do not overwrite the old PCG. Keep it and just make an entirely new updated version. Never delete the old one just for a few GB of disk space. Better to get a USB storage device to help keep extra files until you are absolutely certain there is no way you could possibly want anything in the extra PCG file. I have 3 copies of my most important PCG files. And still no shortage of disk mode storage space.
kprl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I assume that the third party sounds are programs rather than combis, in which case in the program you want to move, select the pull-down menu at the top right corner of the screen and choose “Write Program...”. In the pop up window, you can choose a new name for the program and a new location.

There are 2 types of program, HD1 and Exi, depending on which synth engine is used. By default, banks CC and DD are for Exi programs only, and FF and GG are for HD1 programs. If your original program loaded to bank G, then it would be a HD1 program that you can only save to a HD1 bank like FF or GG.

Hope that helps!

Hi Mikelees

Thanks so much for you quick response, and help. You were right that I only have the programs. I have done what you say but it is a bit time consuming as i would like to transfer the whole bank in go....but least this gets me out of a fix!
thanks once again

kprl
kprl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Hi Kprl, welcome to the forum!

When you load at the pcg level, you don't have the choice, and it loads to the saved default location,

However if you click open on the pcg, rather than load, you will see the programs, combis, wav seq etc. inside.
Once you see these folders, click load on these, (or if there is more than one bank inside the pcg, select the chosen bank first), and the dialog will give you the choice as to which bank to store them. When you change the bank location, you will be able to browse to a bank which you choose, either to load into an unused bank, or overwrite a bank of programs you choose. (Decide on this beforehand), You can load the programs halfway through a bank, (append to an existing set of programs), if it is less then the full bank set, otherwise it will load to the end of the bank and not load the overflow.

Clicking open on the programs, combis etc will open this folder and show the individual programs etc. You have some limited audition function of the programs as you browse, and you can individually select programs, combis etc and select where you want them to load to. Just note that combis, wav seqs,etc may require the programs to be located in default to play correctly, unless you modify the combi's program sources, or the programs wave seq locations, etc.

When loading individual programs etc, browsing for a load destination allows you to browse through you onboard programs, (or combis etc), so you can choose where to to load on the fly without checking a free location first)!

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply.
I won't be able to try out what you have told me to till the weekend as I am away, but i will get back to you as soon as I am able.

Thanks once again for all your help

kprl
kprl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="19naia"]The info about HD-1 and EXi banks is important.
But once you take note of that, you can change the bank type designations from HD-1 to EXi or EXi to HD-1. You can decide which “bank type” you want per any bank location -such as U-CC or U-G. If your default program-load is ever regected from the default U-G bank when you load it, check the bank-type of the loading data to determine if it is HD-1 or EXi ,to match whatever bank type U-G/default bank is set to.

Go to Global mode “Basics” tab page and then select the drop down menu. You will see “Set Program Bank Type”. Select that and then an edit window for that will pop open, “No change” will be default and then you can select any bank to be HD-1 or EXi. Remember to go back to the drop down menu and select “Write Global Settings” to be sure your changes are saved permanently. Otherwise you will end up with the old settings once you power off Kronos.

Once you sort out what your bank types are and match it to your 3rd party sounds’ bank type, go to Disk-Mode and select the “Load” tab page.

In Disk mode “Load” Page, select your sound set’s “Programs” files and then select “Open” at the bottom of the screen. It will open to the Bank selection.
Select which bank you want to load (G bank). Then press “Load” at the bottom right of screen. A window will open and it will list the Load Destination options. Default will be A to A or G to G. But you can set the “To” as any bank you want [but it is safer to use only empty user banks]. So you are loading bank G to any of the 20 bank options or actually only the banks that match the bank type settings or more importantly loading only to empty User banks.. (work out “bank type” settings in Global mode and be sure to only work it out only in empty user banks).

Do the disk mode load and the entire Bank will load to where you want it and it will also remain in the bank it was originally. So you will have two banks of identical content.
Now you can move to delete the one you do not want.

To delete the original Bank, go to program mode and go to the Main/drop down Menu at top right screen. Select “Initialize program”. A small window will open with an option for “All Programs In Bank”. Select that and then press “OK” to initialize all programs in the bank you have open.

4 parts to the whole thing.

1. Global mode to sort out bank type. Sort out only empty User banks to be safe -without later on having disaters in Combi mode.

2. Disk mode to load targeted bank to an empty user bank where you need it.

3. Program mode to delete/initialize the original/U-G bank that you do not need.

4. After all is done as you need it to be, go to disk mode and do a save PCG or Save all but save it as an entirely new PCG or save all ,without overwriting or deleting the old PCG file.

You could skip the Program mode intitialize process and just wait until you have another sound set to load and that will simply overwrite the U-G bank content by default.

VERY IMPORTANT TO WORK ONLY WITH EMPTY USER BANKS AND NOT THE FACTORY LOADED I/INTERNAL OR PREVIOUSLY LOADED USER BANKS. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE COMPLEXITIES OF ARRANGNEMENTS IN COMBI MODE ARE TIED TO BANKS AND SLOTS OF PROGRAM MODE. ANY CHANGES TO PROGRAM LOCATIONS AND BANK TYPES WILL CHANGE COMBIS IN OUT-OF-CONTROL WAYS. If you are sure a previously loaded bank is not tied to any combis, then you are safer to change that around.

If you make a mistake, you can always start over again with a reload of your original disk mode PCG files and yes be sure you always have a copy of the original PCG files for back up.

Again. Once you are done and have all as you need it to be, go to disk mode and go to “Save” tab page and do a “Save PCG” or “Save all” to make a file of you new bank content and global settings. Do not overwrite the old PCG. Keep it and just make an entirely new updated version. Never delete the old one just for a few GB of disk space. Better to get a USB storage device to help keep extra files until you are absolutely certain there is no way you could possibly want anything in the extra PCG file. I have 3 copies of my most important PCG files. And still no shortage of disk mode storage space.[/quote

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply.
I won't be able to try out what you have told me to do till the weekend as I am away, but soon as I get back I will heed your instructions and let you know

Thanks once again for all your help

kprl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: