Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Prologue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sound pretty cool,I like that they have given the user the option for a cheaper model with the same technology just slimmed down Voice count/Keybed like DSI have done with the Rev 2,I think thats a cool move from Korg and a good business model.

Glad they have decided to fit it with the same Keybed as the MK2 Kronos,that has a nice responsive synth action to it,certainly will be demoing one of these in person once they hit the shops

Looking forward to Namm this year,although it doesn't seem like there will be anything New from DSI this year as they are not exhibiting at NAMM looking at the list of companies attending
jonathanl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Reface CS the sound always reflects where all the sliders are at all times even if you changed them while it was off. Do you think the Prologue does that too? Or at least picks up where they were at the moment you turned it off. I wish my VR-09 would do that with the organ draw bars.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing is 1999 for a Prologue or 1999 for a Rev2 now for me Keybed size goes to the prologue 61 keys but the Rez2 has aftertouch and deeper programming as I understand it. For me After touch wins out I have a 61x2 Kronos. If I want more keys I can use my ROLI Rise, old slmk49, any of which I think could be played along with the Rev2 to make up for key bed size. The bigger question is, why a Prologue over DSI, considering the same price point. Prologue sounds great! Don’t get me wrong but for features alone and my desires, Rev2 certainly seems much more versatile and also sounds great. If KORG would have added just aftertouch, which shouldn’t have been a stretch seeing as how it's the 61 key Kronos keybed, I could have easily convinced myself to go for it but without..… not even a consideration. Of course knock the price down to 1499 I could lve without aftertouch, I could but not sure I would.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I'm seeing is 1999 for a Prologue or 1999 for a Rev2 now for me Keybed size goes to the prologue 61 keys but the Rez2 has aftertouch and deeper programming as I understand it. For me After touch wins out I have a 61x2 Kronos. If I want more keys I can use my ROLI Rise, old slmk49, any of which I think could be played along with the Rev2 to make up for key bed size. The bigger question is, why a Prologue over DSI, considering the same price point. Prologue sounds great! Don’t get me wrong but for features alone and my desires, Rev2 certainly seems much more versatile and also sounds great. If KORG would have added just aftertouch, which shouldn’t have been a stretch seeing as how it's the 61 key Kronos keybed, I could have easily convinced myself to go for it but without..… not even a consideration. Of course knock the price down to 1499 I could lve without aftertouch, I could but not sure I would.

Wow the gap was bigger two days ago. I just checked my local prices and they are the same.
As to which one, go into a store and play them. Compare the sound and feel then decide from there. In a month or so. It's still early day and who knows. Roland might announce a new poly analogue that kills them all.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While missing aftertouch is quite a big design failure from my view, it's certainly not the most important part of a synth decision for me.

We have lots of good choices, which is a degree of synth heaven I would not have seen coming, when there was not much more besides some virtual analogues like the Access Virus, the Nords etc., a few years ago. So we should rather enjoy the many choices nowadays than bicker about some pros and cons.

The classical Minimoog/Prophet design is exactly what I want from a subtractive synth surface, and I regard the surface of my Prophet 6 as something which can hardly become better or more practical (apart from the lousy display). So the Prologue also simply delivers for me.

Concerning more modulation sources and targets, they are always welcome. On the other hand, when I compare a nice synth like the Novation peak offering a lot of that, while not sounding to my taste very much, with an analog with less functionality and a sound I like more, I always go for the better sound.

And it is here where the Prologue really seems to shine IMO: using this sound and this filter characteristics within modern Pop EDM genres or Hip Hop should work just as great, as using it's fresh sound in classical rock, funk and r&b keyboard contexts. And while the Rev. 2 has it's own nice Curtis filter sound, which you either like more or less, it probably doesn't fit actual musical styles as well as the Prologue seems to. I like the fresh sound of the Prologue a lot.
hans1966

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, we have to find out what the next Korg analog synthesizer will be like. There is already the Prologue, I imagine that it will continue the Epílogue, and finally the Appendix, to finish with the saga of the Análogos Very Happy

I choose the Peace of God!
Synthee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am checking out the manual to see what the new Prologue is capable of.
But a strange miss that Korg have done with the downloadable manual from there website is that when I want to know what parameters in the synth the modulation wheel can control, they only write:

M.Wheel Assign [BALANCE...GATE TIME]

And they dont tell you all the parameters between BALANCE and GATE TIME.
Its on page 47 in the manual.

I looked in the Minilogue manual and there you can see all parameters that the slider can control.

If someone from KORG read this, please give me all the parameters!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
While missing aftertouch is quite a big design failure from my view, it's certainly not the most important part of a synth decision for me.

We have lots of good choices, which is a degree of synth heaven I would not have seen coming, when there was not much more besides some virtual analogues like the Access Virus, the Nords etc., a few years ago. So we should rather enjoy the many choices nowadays than bicker about some pros and cons.

The classical Minimoog/Prophet design is exactly what I want from a subtractive synth surface, and I regard the surface of my Prophet 6 as something which can hardly become better or more practical (apart from the lousy display). So the Prologue also simply delivers for me.

Concerning more modulation sources and targets, they are always welcome. On the other hand, when I compare a nice synth like the Novation peak offering a lot of that, while not sounding to my taste very much, with an analog with less functionality and a sound I like more, I always go for the better sound.

And it is here where the Prologue really seems to shine IMO: using this sound and this filter characteristics within modern Pop EDM genres or Hip Hop should work just as great, as using it's fresh sound in classical rock, funk and r&b keyboard contexts. And while the Rev. 2 has it's own nice Curtis filter sound, which you either like more or less, it probably doesn't fit actual musical styles as well as the Prologue seems to. I like the fresh sound of the Prologue a lot.

I do agree, I have currently ruled it out simply for the features in comparison to a REV 2 but I have not heard the two side by side and in the end tone would win out.
rbox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As professional Musican and Oasys User i find the Modulations Possibilities of the Korg
Prologue very limited and goes behind the other Korg products. I like the Sound alot and i would be the first Customer of the Prologue if i know if goes further Development from Korg R&D in this new Product.

I have seen in the Manual that you can reach other Functiins via Shift Button for other Parameters. Maybe they expand the Modulationdestinations and Routings in the Future via Softwareupdate like what they have done with the Radias Update for more Routings and so on.

Here some Ideas and Wishlist from me:

- on Mini or Monologue you have the Option "One Shot" for the Lfo , to so that the Lfo runs at once without cycle like an Envelope. These Option is Missing in Prologues Lfo Section.

- on Minilogue you can Modulate the Speed of the Lfo via Filter EG to create a Delayed Vibrato or so , this Option is Missing in Prologue.

- a Loop Function for the Envelopes would be nice also to change the Type of Curve , switching Exponent or Linear Type.

-on Prologue you can control only 2 Moddestinations AMP and EG via velocity , this is very limited , it make sense to control other destiinations via Velocity like Resonance , Pitch , Shape , Feedback , Wet/Dry for the effects and Crossfade wenn you put 2 different Timbres together.

-Crossfade between 2 Timbres via Lfo and Envelope

- the VPM Osc have some static Parameters that you cannnot control via Lfo or Velicity i hope they can Fix it and make the VPM Osc more open for Modulations. Morphwaves would also nice and a second mini Lfo.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

I agree. Also the 12dB filter being a smoother more subtle sound is actually a sound more suited to big chords and such that a polysynth is generally used for. I use the 12dB setting on my Tetra more for that sort of thing than I do the 24dB. A string patch doesn't want a really abrupt filter gouging out the sound, for example. The 24dB it great for bass and leads, but it's overkill for a lot of polyphonic work.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Doesn't this have a sequencer? Even a basic step sequencer like the Minilogue? I was hoping for a sequencer capable of at least twice the length of the Minilogue.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another anal-log boringness...

I’ll take Z1, prophecy, 01/W or Trinity With solo-tri over any analog synth or modern synth
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
another anal-log boringness...

I’ll take Z1, prophecy, 01/W or Trinity With solo-tri over any analog synth or modern synth

It depends on what you want, seems that analogue is the miracle selling word right now... Young people don't have time to learn and play the keys ... they come from a virtual experience and now just want to turn the real knobs and sliders.. This is what sells...

And all the keyboardists either choose the nord stage or a Kronos or both... There is not much left to wish for if you own a stage and a Kronos
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Young people don't have time to learn and play the keys ... they come from a virtual experience and now just want to turn the real knobs and sliders.. This is what sells...

And all the keyboardists either choose the nord stage or a Kronos or both... There is not much left to wish for if you own a stage and a Kronos
That's beyond ridiculous....good lord..... "all the keyboardists"

Me personally, my analog synths sit nicely right next to my 01/W and Triton Studio.......and frankly, they cannot do what a good analog synth can do and vice versa.

I do far more sound design on my analogs these days.....
rbox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot in My Wishlist a Random (S/H) Wave for the Lfo Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: