Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing fabric sounds when loading a set?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Losing fabric sounds when loading a set? Reply with quote

I loaded a set today from my friend, which i need for our type of music, and i see that a lot of fabric pianos, for example, are missing... For example, i cant use the Berlin anymore because when i press on it, the sound doesnt come out.. Is that normal and just something you have to sacrifice for loading in the custom set/sounds? Thanks for helping
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is ”Sample Manage” in Global mode.

If what is going is that the new set has unloaded KSC/sample for the Berlin Grand, you could try to sort it out in Sample Manage.

That is a bit harder or more confusing for me once i get in there, so i am not going to try to elaborate.

Page 766 of Parameter guide starts on the topic.

You may want to look at your KSC Auto-Load page also if most of your factory programs are not responding. Maybe Preload KSC was dropped off the auto-load list.
Although, i suspect the piano samples were unloaded to use the memory space for custom progects.
Remapping sample references is another possibility of custom work confusion.

If the required KSC files all show in place in the sample manage page of global and also the KSC autoload page, then maybe the beriln piano had the volume turned to zero within the SGX engine parameters. Also maybe instrument type was turned off in the EXi instrument-type setting of berlin grand.

When it comes to custom sets, it can be complicated if it does not come with a standard or description of what is going on.
I hope you backed up your previous PCG set so you can reload what you had before.

You will have to figure out what was changed around and how it was changed and then look for a house keeping strategy for organizing samples, banks and program settings the way you want. It can be a huge task depending on how deep the set maker went with custom edits and Program, Combi and KSC location changes.

Maybe you will get lucky if the set maker can give you a summary of what was done and then you know where to go right away.
Doing it the hard way is worth it at least once because there is no better way to learn the complexities of how Kronos can be customized.
bazic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I sometimes decide that i want the missing sounds back, is there an option to do some kind of factory reset or something? Of course if i dont succeed in fixing it.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
If I sometimes decide that i want the missing sounds back, is there an option to do some kind of factory reset or something? Of course if i dont succeed in fixing it.

A full Factory reset is a bit more involved when it comes to Kronos.

What you really want in that case is to go to Disk mode, look for the original Factory PCG files and load them. Just a simple load procedure.
Be sure you load the KSC files along with the preload files when loading factory files. Sometimes PCG files will have the KSC files separated.
I keep my factory files Locked/protected so they cannot be edited or deleted.
I make copies of the factory PCG and unlock the copies for adding in my own custom details or new sound sets. I never use the original factory PCG files any more but they are there for the day that i may want to restore kronos to original state.

A full hard reset on kronos, using the CDs will also restore factory sound sets but it is too involved just for recovering sound sets that are in factory PCG+KSC files of disk mode, -if you have not deleted factory file.
Also it may reset to the original Software release as well as omit any bonus sound sets that came with Kronos 2 if you have that. I am not sure what is on the CDs or not because i never used them to reset Kronos. But it is better to understand that it could reset to an outdated software edition.
If you have lost the factory files in disc mode, then the CD route will help.
The CDs are important because they do more than restore factory PCG+KSC files. They reinstall the entire system, software and all. For the instances of system crashes that do not recover from a simple power-down and then power-up after waiting over 10 seconds after power-down.

Go to disk mode and look for your Factory Files on the internal HD storage. If you have them, then that is all you need for the kind of reset i assume you are talking about. Just simply load the facory file with the KSC files included and let it overwrite.
Also set up KSC auto load in Global mode to load only the factory Preload files and anything else you want. That is how to be sure that the factory set does not continue to have its default empty banks filled with custom/3rd party stuff from outside the factory PCG.

Manual loading is done from disk mode and auto loading is set up in global mode. Auto load means that when you turn on kronos, it boots up with all the content listed in Global mode auto load.
When you set up anything new in Global mode, be sure to go to the drop down menu from top right corner of the screen and select “write global settings”. It may not apply to autoload edits but better to cover how to save global settings.

Also, the same way your friend gave you a set to load -where it changed your “Fabric” sounds, you can exchange factory files with other people as a quicker way than using CD if you lost your factory files.
bazic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i just checked the Disk partition, and i saw the Factory folder, which contained all the fabric sounds,banks,combinations etc. which came with the kronos... If i ever want to load some of the missing ones in, like for example the berlin grand, do i just press on it on the screen, and tap load, or there is something else i need to do?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
Okay, i just checked the Disk partition, and i saw the Factory folder, which contained all the fabric sounds,banks,combinations etc. which came with the kronos... If i ever want to load some of the missing ones in, like for example the berlin grand, do i just press on it on the screen, and tap load, or there is something else i need to do?

Yes tap it on the screen and when it lights up blue, you press load and then press Ok.
There is still a chance you will not get sound from it if the KSC files are unloaded from sample banks.
So what you do then is go to KSC files in the factory files and open the EXS libraries. My sample manage list in Global mode, it shows that Berlin Grand is from EXs 17 sample set.
So if you want berlin grand, you open KSC to the file that says EXs 17 and press that on screen and then press load and then press OK.

You can also load KSC/EXsample files from global mode ksc autoload page. Just press “Add KSC” and it will open disk mode file view where you can open down to each EXs library and also each individual sample.
For SGX, individual sample is too complicated when one piano program can use a full bank of samples because of many layers to create dynamic multi facet sound response. So it is better to load the entire EXs library. Less complicated than trying to load the correct samples for one program only.

If you need, you can load all factory EXs libraries and then go to global sample manage page and seect “bank” to view all the EXs libraries labelled with the category of sounds they hold. EXs 17 says berlin grand.
Also on the sample manage page, you can unload any samples or EXs library you do not need.
bazic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i can load in the sounds and everything, when i load up the factory sound, turn off the keyboard and turn it on again, i will have to load it again... For some reason, it doesnt save? Do you know why?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
Okay, i can load in the sounds and everything, when i load up the factory sound, turn off the keyboard and turn it on again, i will have to load it again... For some reason, it doesnt save? Do you know why?

Go to Global mode “Auto-Load” page to set up automatic load that will happen every time you turn on power to Kronos.
Maybe first you remove any files from before, the ones you do not want. “Remove KSC” is what you press to select which ones to remove.

Then add the files you want to auto-load page. Look for “Add KSC”. Press that and then select from the disk file view. Select the factory Preload file.

Once you finish that, be sure to open the drop down menu from the arrow at top right of your screen -and select “write global settings”.

That will make sure anytime you power on, kronos will load what you want.

You can change it anytime to whatever you like and can mix between factory and other files. You can load one slot only, or a banks or all. It allows you to manage what you like.

I hope this works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: