Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What damper pedal do you use with Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio460

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Roland DP10 pedals (which have a three-conductor plugs). It worked fine with the polarity reversed on my K2 with 3.0.4. After I updated the firmware to 3.1.2 it no longer works? Tried plugging/un-plugging, reverse-polarity, reset/current, re-booting with/without, etc. I did forget to unplug it while I was doing the update. (I just ordered a Korg DS1H.)

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
I have a bunch of Roland DP10 pedals (which have a three-conductor plugs). It worked fine with the polarity reversed on my K2 with 3.0.4. After I updated the firmware to 3.1.2 it no longer works? Tried plugging/un-plugging, reverse-polarity, reset/current, re-booting with/without, etc. I did forget to unplug it while I was doing the update. (I just ordered a Korg DS1H.)

The Korg damper pedal is the way to go, anyway.

Whenever you make a change in Global mode, you need to perform 1 more step to save changes. That's easy to overlook.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP here. Just wanted to say that I ended up getting the DS-1H to use with my new Kronos, and I really like it. Feels solid and it actually doesn't slip on my carpet, even though it lacks the no-slip mat that the Roland pedal has. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a right angle connector (I really wish damper pedals just didn't have hardwired cables), but that's a pretty small gripe. Maybe I can get a TRS right angle adapter for it.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:
OP here. Just wanted to say that I ended up getting the DS-1H to use with my new Kronos, and I really like it. Feels solid and it actually doesn't slip on my carpet, even though it lacks the no-slip mat that the Roland pedal has. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a right angle connector (I really wish damper pedals just didn't have hardwired cables), but that's a pretty small gripe. Maybe I can get a TRS right angle adapter for it.

If you mean a right angle plug for the connection at the Kronos end, you could probably get someone with electronics background (guitar repair shop) to whack off the molded end and put a right angle TRS (I recommend Switchcraft) connector on there for you. I have always been dismayed by the fact that no one makes the damper cable removable at the pedal end. The cable is almost always the first thing to fail. I am in the process of modifying a Yamaha half damper for a friend so that he can replace a defective cable (which has happened to him twice on the same pedal). There will be a TRS jack on the pedal and all he will have to do is replace a dual male TRS cable. This also will allow for a custom length cable. For cable I recommend Belden 8412.
studio460

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Whenever you make a change in Global mode, you need to perform 1 more step to save changes. That's easy to overlook.

Thanks! What is that step?

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
GregC wrote:

I don't know if you are up to this LOL

SAVE the Change.

That would be the ' 1 more step '.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
studio460 wrote:
GregC wrote:

I don't know if you are up to this LOL

SAVE the Change.

That would be the ' 1 more step '.

Actually, in Korg vernacular that would be "write".
studio460

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:

Thank you! Remember, I'm the guy who couldn't find the "menu" ("global") button either? Funny, I don't recall "writing" the polarity-setting change before I updated the firmware, and my Roland DP10 pedal worked! And, yes, every time I tried changing the polarity setting I was wondering how to "save" (so I just switched modes, thinking that would save it). In any case, I'll be getting my Korg DS1H pedal on Thursday!

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:

Thank you! Remember, I'm the guy who couldn't find the "menu" ("global") button either? Funny, I don't recall "writing" the polarity-setting change before I updated the firmware, and my Roland DP10 pedal worked! And, yes, every time I tried changing the polarity setting I was wondering how to "save" (so I just switched modes, thinking that would save it). In any case, I'll be getting my Korg DS1H pedal on Thursday!

"Page Menu Commands" = upper right corner of the display. Conversely you could use the "REC/WRITE" key and follow the on-screen prompts.
tomto66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland DP10 - I like the fact that I can keep my foot on the rubber so it doesn't slip.
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! I had it in the wrong hole! (What's the jack right above the sampler pedal jack? I can't see the back of my Kronos). Plus, I got my DS1H today! It came a day early from B+H!

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
Duh! I had it in the wrong hole! (What's the jack right above the sampler pedal jack? I can't see the back of my Kronos). Plus, I got my DS1H today! It came a day early from B+H!

The manuals have images of all the rear panel connections and control surface. That might be a good place to start.
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged the DS1H pedal in and everything works! The diagram in the quick-start manual is so small the legends are illegible (haven't printed the real manual yet); though, I did find a decent rear-panel photo from Korg UK:

76keyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Triple Pedal - Is there one? Reply with quote

I have no personal experience with the following triple pedal, but it says it provides the full piano functionality and only needs ONE TRS jack to plug into the standard damper pedal socket. If so, this is an exciting answer for those who want this capability. Check your keyboard functionality of course. I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried this product to see if all works as stated. (text from Amazon.com provided by Studiologic)

"The Studiologic SLP3-D Triple Pedal features 2 switch controls (left and center pedals) and 1 continuous control (right pedal) connected only with one standard stereo jack and a single cable. The simplified connection avoids the need for multiple cables or plugs, and the 3 pedals are perfect controllers for pianists and keyboardists who are looking for a reliable and total musical expression. A typical application of this special SLP3-D multi-pedal could be to control the "Soft" function (Una corda) with the left pedal, the "Sostenuto" function with the middle pedal and the "Half Damper" function (Half Pedaling) with the right pedal. Studiologic is synonymous with high quality MIDI controllers and ground breaking digital pianos, organs, and pedals."

GregC wrote:
jeffjazzwraight wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been going back and forwards on the forum looking for a straight answer but so far........!!!???

Is there a recommended triple pedal for Kronos. i.e. Soft/Sostenuto/Sustain? (I'm not talking expression pedals, I have several Yamaha FC7's & 9's)

Basically I want to use the Kronos for some classical gigs in case the house pianos are crap or non-existant!

It seems the Korg DS1H will handle sustain & half damping (TRS jack) This leaves only one socket on Kronos however for the other two functions.

Perhaps one of Korg's reps could come on board with an answer?.

Best wishes

Jeff

this might help:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/assigning-switches-and-pedals-on-a-korg-kronosx/

What I read is is Sostenuto is a 'function ' or a setting inside Kronos.

I don't believe the triple pedal is the best option for Kronos. It might 'work'
but I think Korg has another pedal approach for soft/Sostenuto/

You have 3 assignable pedal outputs on Kronos. I guess this does not follow the classic 3 pedal sustain approach of some digital stage pianos or standard acoustic pianos.

I think the complexity of the Kronos W/s and the various 'assignable functions'
was what Kprg decided long ago.

FYI, Korg reps don't provide support here. It would be nice but don't hold your breath. The community has stepped up on the support side.
jeffjazzwraight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your valued input on this.

I've been busy on gigs recently but I did get around to looking at my pedal configuration.

Damper pedal is fine and I have the sostenuto working on another pedal.

The workaround for the 'Soft' pedal is either to turn the volume down or program a new piano voice with a more muted sound.

For those who don't know:-- The 'Soft' pedal on a real grand usually shifts the keyboard & action a tad to the right so that the hammers strike 2 instead of 3 strings (and 1 instead of 2 etc.) This not only takes the volume down a tad but obviously changes the timbre as well.

Anyway - work in progress...........

Best wishes

Jeff
Kronos 88 v3.1.3-Upgraded & Maxed out to 3gb. Nord Stage 2 88HD. Roland Jupiter 80. Waldorf Blofeld Keys. Korg TR. Yamaha S80. Yamaha DX7 special edition. PC-Windows 10 64bit 16gig Ram. M Audio Delta 1010lt. Cubase Pro 10. Sibelius Ultimate, NI Komplete Ultimate 11. Trillion. Lounge Lizard. Wavelab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: