Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa3x - Sticky outer joystick housing and touch screen panel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Pa3x - Sticky outer joystick housing and touch screen panel Reply with quote

Hi All

Not sure if any of you experienced this

My 3X is very sticky on the black outer portion that houses the joystick and the frame around the screen. The paint on these 2 pieces is very different to the rest of the unit and almost to the point of like rubberized. It feels like if you use any bit of force to even wipe then the paint or what ever that is will wipe off as the cloth just holds to the surface if in a wiping motion.

I did not try anything to clean as yet.

thanks
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...only about a week ago I noticed the area around the joystick being as you describe so I put some black tape along the bottom edge because it was annoying me so much. Seems to be a type of rubber that degrades over time.
ORGANGRINDER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: sticky joystick Reply with quote

maybe you left the keyboard in a hot car or garage. This will mess up a lot of plastic parts the same way. It even happened in my son's bmw after a couple years in florida.

MEL
Veren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Thanks for your replies and no this was not left in car or garage as it has not left my home for a very long time now.

Any ways to correct or clean this surface?

thanks and appreciated
steve m

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

My PA3X is showing the same issue now, sticky black rubber around the screen. When I owned an Oasys the same thing happened to the soft pads and fader knobs. It seems to be the material degrading and doesn't seem to be heat or light related as my keyboards live permanently in a cool room and there is no natural light.

I have not been able to find a solution, wiping the area with micro fiber towels and using various cleaning products does not remove or improve the stickiness.

Has anybody found a solution ?

Kurzweil K2000, Yamaha CS1X, Minimoog, Oasys76, GEM Promega 3, Korg PA3X, Kurzweil PC3K8
Too many toys are never enough!
Veren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve M

I hope Korg Paolo comes in with some solution/guidance as its a shame that such an expensive unit looks unnecessarily crappy.

thanks
admar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread named Clean Detergent ? see: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114780
KorgPA wrote something that might be a solution? I have not tried this, just provide the link for anyone that has the same issue.

KorgPA wrote:
The best way (work perfect for me) NO need a tape or something else to cover it.
Buy a Triple Thick Clear Glaze Aerosol Spray 12oz-(Krylon branch or any branch ) in paint department.
Cover your keyboard with a paint tape around the area you're not spay before spray in stick area.
After it dry you can feel no more sticky and the keyboard looking good without a black tape cover.
Good luck.

Last edited by admar on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Admar...thanks

I would like to get a response from Korg in this regard as the cheap thin plastics carry bags we have in South Africa does not decay anywhere close to this....if this is decay of material used.

And no I don't intend to write to Korg from out of this forum on this issue and will take my chances to see if they bother enough to read and respond. Paolo did respond to other issues in the past which is appreciated but we would like a response on this particular issue.

thanks
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has suggested clear glaze (paint) spray but not sure if I am game to try this.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114780
Veren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Just to inform and update on solution:

I was really fed up with the condition of the sticky panel parts and went in to resolve same.

Here what works (well for me it did...yesterday)

I used surgical hand sanitizer with 85% alcohol with a piece of cloth. Apply the solution to a very small part of the cloth and rub on the surfaces that needs to be cleaned. Its a bit of a work as it takes about 4-5 cycles of applying and rubbing same but the sticky stuff comes out and the unit looks like when I first bought it.

And yes to note is that the printed text etc remains on unaffected.

This works 100% however proceed at your own risk and note that there is no need to rub to hard.

Trust that this will make the unit more bearable and usable for many owners.

Now only if we could get some upgrade.

thanks
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Veren. I plucked up the courage to try something similar and can confirm that methylated spirits worked well for me. I'd recommend being careful and not as heavy handed around the printed text areas. I am very happy with the results. The housing around the joystick is no longer sticky - hooray!
Marcus2222

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the OP, I walked over to my PA3x and found the same situation though probably to a lesser degree. I can slide my finger across it, but I can feel the beginning stages of "stickiness." This is puzzling, because I've only used it for about 10 hours since purchase 3-4 years ago. The board stays covered with a cloth covering and a plastic covering over that. It's not exposed to air.

Anyhow, for what its' worth, I have a similar (major) problem with the $150 Grundig portable radio I bought. I took it out of it's case last month. It felt like the exterior of the radio was melting. I telephoned Grundig and he said a number of customers were calling in with the same problem. He said to use the product Purple Power (available in any store) to "clean" it and that will solve the problem. I haven't done it yet but will eventually give it a shot.
Veren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben

Glad to offer some assistance/ideas.

Was wondering if anyone actually read my post as it was a serious concern for me and some others have had same issue but with no direction on how to proceed. My KBD is like brand new now and actually starting to use it again.

thanks
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've had my 3x for three years, bought used at that, and haven't had the problem. Luck of the draw, I guess.
jazzmammal

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a used Pa3X and it has this problem. The seller lives in south Florida and he had disclosed that in his ad. He or someone, did spray clear on the area around the joystick. It's not a very smooth job but at least it's not sticky. It's possible they brushed it on rather than spraying. The area around the display is really bad, very sticky and the way the buttons are situated I can see why he didn't try to spray that and I won't either. I'll carefully try these other ideas and report back. Other than that the unit looks brand new and everything works perfectly.

To those who are complaining about Korg's quality control, I was watching a classic car video about a restorer finding that exact same issue in a early 2000's Ferrari. There was no way he could find to simply clean the dashboard and console surrounds so he literally invented a way to reproduce those parts from scratch and now has a company producing that stuff for many exotic supercars. Apparently they all have this problem after 10 years or so. Synthetic materials can look and feel really good and expensive but it looks like they won't last beyond 10 years.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: