Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer Neutron! Uli surprises at NAMM'18 - HUGE? Is it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hinav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Behringer Neutron! Uli surprises at NAMM'18 - HUGE? Is it? Reply with quote

now I am confused - wait for this or just head for my Korg Monologue + a Volca. Hmm..

https://twitter.com/BEHRINGER

Hope its not a duplicate - else Mods please delete.

Last edited by hinav on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
slug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly looks like s**t, what a mess.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Well it certainly looks like s**t, what a mess.

Looks like a small euro company synth from the 90's. Original layout, which is amusing to think about considering all the mimicry they have been up to over their entire existence. It sound rather familiar though.

Here's a better pic:

Here's the page I got it from: https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2018-behringer-announce-neutron-analog-synthesizer/
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen what else that photo+video don't show you? It features something pretty cool to the right of the panel!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
Have you seen what else that photo+video don't show you? It features something pretty cool to the right of the panel!

Yeah, PATCHBAY!!!!! Looking like it might be a great original coming from the company everyone loves to hate.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
demonp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that one like all the other "clones" shown, we will never see????
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonp wrote:

No, it's not. It's an original design so far. I know, amazing right?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour doesn't bother me. I always loose interest the second I hear of another Analog keyboard being released. Old school tech is of no interest to me and neither is the reasoning behind their hype.

I don't care how “Analog” it sounds. I don't have a Record Player on my phone or in my car and they are pretty much the only two places I listen to other peoples music.

Just my 2 cents.

Sharp.
demonp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
demonp wrote:

Sounds like Moog anyway.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonp wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
demonp wrote:

Sounds like Moog anyway.

Turns out it's a Curtis osc clone, so yeah it sounds like a Moog or any other synth that uses Curtis osc's. Ah but then if someone else was to clone a synth or a particularly famous chip, nobody would say a word against them, more likely the other way. Maybe all this work Behringer is doing will take the wind out of this analogue revival. I'd like to think that Korg's 'logues are helping show it's not an area that is for purists with a ton of spare money too.

Sharp wrote:

The colour doesn't bother me. I always loose interest the second I hear of another Analog keyboard being released. Old school tech is of no interest to me and neither is the reasoning behind their hype.

I agree to an extent. It'll probably become old hat again soon as everyone has an analogue monosynth in their studio and realise just how boring the analogue waveforms are, even when bent out of shape. "Supersaw" or whatever a company is calling their interlaced ramps help make the palette a little brighter, but unison hard sync'd osc's pretty much do the same thing. Analogue filters do have that something that digital seems to not quite make the mark on, but that said the filters on my Waldorf digitals come extremely close to the sound of my Waldorf analogues. On a slight side note, funny how they were praised for sounding like a MiniMoog when they brought out the Pulse 20+ years ago, not berated and called thieves.

Last edited by megamarkd on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if Uli would build 01/W and Trinity with Solo (prophecy) expansion
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
Now if Uli would build 01/W and Trinity with Solo (prophecy) expansion

Sacrilege! Korg would be jumpin' down on his arse, and rightfully so! It's easier to copy analogs than digital synths which are sample based.....try and copy that sample rom, you're lookin' at a lawsuit(not to mention the 01/W's waveshapers are a custom chip, not software...and those unique effects algorithms and patches, all that stuff is locked tight!).....someone recently tried a stunt like that in software for the Roland D-50...he got a cease and desist from Roland and Persing so fast I'm sure his head was spinning!

I give Kudos to behringer on making a NEW synth in the neutron. I don't care much for it's sound, but still. Thank you KORG for continuing to give us NEW products!

BTW, if you look at Korg's new analogs....there's TONS of new tech in there, each voice has it's own processor for control...there's TONS of new tech in modern analog synths....and what's great about it, is that the good ones keep the signal path analog. Korg just release a 16 voice discrete vco synth(with a third digital osc, that looks very cool) for 2 grand, that's a hell of a deal....anything that comes close to that voice count/price is DCO w/filter on a chip type stuff....
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two-penny's worth: I'm a huge critic of Behringer's synth cloning approach, and even more fervent critic of the way they challenged Moog's business model publicly online while also using their design for the 'D'.

However - I do thing that the DM12 and 6 are quite good and innovative - and even if loosely based on the Juno106 are sufficiently different, with quite a number of original innovations, to warrant attention.

So this synth is, to me, also a side to Behringer i want to see more of - coming up with their own designs and putting them out there - and to me this sounds very good and looks feature packed.

So however good the synth is (or isn't) - it's surely good to see Behringer do their own thing, learn their own strengths and weaknesses and get better as time goes by, as distinct to this misplaced cloning they are engaged in too.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
My two-penny's worth: I'm a huge critic of Behringer's synth cloning approach, and even more fervent critic of the way they challenged Moog's business model publicly online while also using their design for the 'D'.

However - I do thing that the DM12 and 6 are quite good and innovative - and even if loosely based on the Juno106 are sufficiently different, with quite a number of original innovations, to warrant attention.

So this synth is, to me, also a side to Behringer i want to see more of - coming up with their own designs and putting them out there - and to me this sounds very good and looks feature packed.

So however good the synth is (or isn't) - it's surely good to see Behringer do their own thing, learn their own strengths and weaknesses and get better as time goes by, as distinct to this misplaced cloning they are engaged in too.

Applause Agree 100%!...and in the end no one is out there is saying it replaces the Juno(it doesn't)...but they still pimp off it's legacy to sell a product. Uli is scared to take a risk it seems on his own product like the big guys are(probably because he's keenly aware of the reputation some of his products have, and he's trying to escape that).
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Totally agree. It's been mentioned elsewhere that the cloning of the Curtis Osc chip is a good thing, bring prices of a particular standard down and into the hands of more musicians (and programmers).

There is a lot of hatred for Behringer due to their using other's ideas and designs (and sometimes straight up stealing designs, see their eurorack mixers from the turn of the century...), but with these two (almost) originals, I'm hoping for nice line of synths out of them in the future. They have the teams behind them to do digital R&D and are already doing their own DSP work (well sorta their own as the teams are sorta "stolen" too). They have their digital mixers and and rack fx units, so maybe they will deliver a digital synth of some description soon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: