Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

your favorite program/samples on kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vkhandelwal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: your favorite program/samples on kronos Reply with quote

what are your favorite programs available out of the box on kronos?
Which instrument samples available in kronos you would rate as high quality? which one you would skip and use external samples instead ?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done tonight making my own sample converted to a program.

It is from video i took on a cheap camera of a bird call in the Peruvian Amazon jungle.
I trimmed and truncated it down to just a single call with some extra for a trail off with background noise. I made a wave file of it last year and abandoned it on my Kronos internal HD.
The cheap camera picked up a lot of background noise but the bird call itself was piercing and it sounded in-person like a weird analog synthesizer straight from the bird's pipes and beak.
So the low quality sound capture of the camera was no disaster for the superb bird call itself, even with the background noise.
I put reverb-hall and a short delay on it and added it to a combi layered with EP and STR guitar and more.
Two or three octaves of the same note using my sample makes it sound out of this world and like some hybrid primitive jungle vocals mixed from Human, dog and bird.
Lower pitches bring out some interesting stuff.

I recall a statement during a spectrasonics (just won 2018 sound design award at NAMM) demo -that some of their more interesting sounds come from low quality sound capture which gives the sound some qualities more agreeable with certain synth parameters that get boring after already working with just about every high-quality super clean recorded sound.

The background noise of my low quality recording sounds terrible on the original take but it really works out to sound like other worldy wind and rustling plants when Kronos effects take over and the combi layer frequencies mix in. And this is just the first simple incorporation. I still haven’t worked all the parameters over it to find any other sound gem facets.

I am loving it. Played until i couldn’t sit up anymore. Wink

I don’t do anything with kronos preload samples. I just use the programs as they are and work with layering in Combi where i may change FX per program but rarely change much else.
I know i could tweak Berlin Grand into a thousand different piano sounds but i rather scroll through Kronos factory set of plenty other pianos, when i want a different sound. But i am glad i have SGX to work with in case i do grow out of the preset selection of pianos. I can start tweak and layer SGX pianos for some new sounds. That is my general approach to all sound categories on Kronos.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, 19naia. Inspiring stuff...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Excellent post, 19naia. Inspiring stuff...

I can’t believe i left out the part where the previous combi i made had a ghost piano blurting out at higher volume every minute or so.
I tried for days and even all day one day, to find the source. Rebuilt the combi several times over -with different approaches but still that rogue piano.

I got tired and settled for the combi being stuck with the bug in it and assumed i could never make another combi again without the rogue piano joining in.

Well, my bird call sample made a program and went into a combi with drum track and all. I played it all until i could’t sit up anymore and not once did i hear a rogue note jump in.
Redemption.
The bug must have been associated with one of the programs i used in the corrupted combi. Likely the one i brought in using quick layer.

So happy i can still make combis. Laughing
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: your favorite program/samples on kronos Reply with quote

Vkhandelwal wrote:
what are your favorite programs available out of the box on kronos?
Which instrument samples available in kronos you would rate as high quality? which one you would skip and use external samples instead ?

There are lots or programs which are excellent as is to keep me playing for hours each. Quality of sampling is excellent.

About external samples, I recorded all the gear I owned and sold to help me purchase my K2 last year. What is fun is I resampled them into the K2, so it's like still having the best sounds of them inside the new machine, and with much better effects to enhance them. The K2 is simply limitless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: