Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 2 Crashing......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimB1971

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 2 Crashing...... Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone has had their keyboard lock up while playing. It threw an error and I had to shut it down. I have read about updating firmware to fix this. My Kronos is version 3.0.2
Has many others had this issue with this version, and if so how do you resolve this? I have had this for a couple of years and has crashed about 5 times. Two times were in the event of performing. I would appreciate any feedback and possible links to help me. Thanks in advance!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 2 Crashing...... Reply with quote

TimB1971 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone has had their keyboard lock up while playing. It threw an error and I had to shut it down. I have read about updating firmware to fix this. My Kronos is version 3.0.2
Has many others had this issue with this version, and if so how do you resolve this? I have had this for a couple of years and has crashed about 5 times. Two times were in the event of performing. I would appreciate any feedback and possible links to help me. Thanks in advance!

this is always a topic of concern. If you google this forum you will see dozens of similar posts over the past 5 yrs.

Obviously, you should have a UPS on your gigs.
What are conditions like on your gig ? Any big
change in temps ?

Provide exact details on your K, how old, any hard ware extras. Are you using
other USB devices ? Which ones ? do you keep your smart phone on your Kronos ? Di you buy your K2 new or used ? Tell us exactly how you transport your K

My personal answer, is I have a K crash a few times per year . But I work my K in my home office. A stable environment . My crashes might be related to heat and keeping my K on for 6 hours. I was using heavy FX in SEQ mode. It was no big deal. But my experience isn't applicable is my guess.

Back up your work on USB. Every day.
TimB1971

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Krog Kronos 2 Crashing..... Reply with quote

Thanks Greg for your reply! My K2 is a couple of years old. I bought it brand new. It has crashed here at home several times after playing for hours and writing combi w karma programs over and over trying to find sounds. The other couple times was @ church only having the K on for a few hours. What is the newest upgrade as of now in 2018...I saw someone posting about 3.0.4, but this was an older YouTube video. From what I've seen on the Korg site 3.1.2 is the newest update. Is that correct?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Krog Kronos 2 Crashing..... Reply with quote

TimB1971 wrote:
Thanks Greg for your reply! My K2 is a couple of years old. I bought it brand new. It has crashed here at home several times after playing for hours and writing combi w karma programs over and over trying to find sounds. The other couple times was @ church only having the K on for a few hours. What is the newest upgrade as of now in 2018...I saw someone posting about 3.0.4, but this was an older YouTube video. From what I've seen on the Korg site 3.1.2 is the newest update. Is that correct?

Hi Tim, got your pm, too

There has not been an OS upgrade for about 1 year.

What you see on the Korg US site must be current.

I don't know what ver your K2 is on. I am on 3.1. and its stable. All the recent
ver's are stable. IMO, an OS upgrade will not have any effect to whats causing K2 to crash.

Lets try some guesses. 1 theory is , as you move your K2 around, ram and cables have gotten a little loose. Thus reseating RAM and checking inside cable connections would be a fair step.

If you are super careful moving your k2 around and have only moved it a few times, nothing should have gotten loose, IMO.

Your K2 definitely should not crash frequently at home messing around with Karma and combis. I do this all the time .

I would check for power surges in your home. Even if you are in the US, our power is not necessarily 100% consistent. Our K's demand steady perfect power IMO. A slight power hiccup in your home could be the cause.

For example, we have PG&E here in CA. We use a/c on 100 degree days. So a surge in power, or a storm with thunder/lightening will affect my Kronos.

2nd theory is for you to assess your power conditions at home. Maybe find another power outlet for your K2, get a new/better power strip. These are simple preventive steps.

You did not say anything about USB devices being connected to your K2
during the crashes- they might be the cause.

If you are sure neither of the above is going to help, its time to find a Korg service center and talk to them on the phone. See if the person is experienced with Kronos diagnosis and repair. Its a long shot- you might have a flakey power supply or a flakey mobo. Neither should take 2 years to get problematic is my opinion. If either component is actually getting shifty, you may have exposed your k2
to a strong surge at church or at home.

I happen to think our K's and components are touchy with power.

I am not a DIY person when it comes to repairs like this. No one here has the diagnosis tools to assess your k2 with 100% accuracy. Your Korg tech will have the tools and experience to do that.

IOW, doing dental work on the Internet is not happening Smile
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you Kronos could be overheating if you leave it on for long periods of time. There is a reason the Kronos has a fan.

Last edited by benny ray on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TimB1971

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 Crashing..... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies..........I only use the Kronos with nothing extra, just the machine itself. I have bought a fancy surge protector isobar I use at church, and it crashed twice in the past couple years there & three or four times @ home. My current version is 3.0.2 I believe. Overheating could definitely be a problem as well as old wiring in the house I currently live in. I don't figure it could hurt to update, and too some other posts said that it could be a firmware update needed also.
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC,

You were saying...in another thread,just the other day?

"Fortunately, actual factory defectives are few these days from my experience around here."

If it is true,that defects are few these days,then that must mean that years ago,the Kronos has had an insane amount of defects..back then.

Even still,the amount of defects currently, in my view,are unacceptable and there is no excuse that I would buy(when we all know damn well,that the Korg corporation,are a bunch of bloodless,money-grubbing freaks who are obsessed with huge profit margins.)
Ever since the economic crisis began(around 2008,I think)...large corporations have been maintaining their profit goals,that they had before this time...by cutting costs with substandard equipment and low-grade quality control in their factories and as a result,Korg is screwing over their customers...BIG TIME.
Roland has been diabolical in this type of bussiness practices(long before the economic crisis)....but in recent years,they at least,realized they needed to make a change and the FA-series was born out of that.

Okay...enough said,my rants are over and once again,I am done with Korg...as I firmly believe that large investments are best left for computer desktops,because PC software can live on,after the hardware goes,but when a Korg keyboard goes,you lose everything & have to start from scratch.
darwinwiebe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that some of you are having issues with the Kronos. I am a truck driver in North America, (lorry to some of you across the pond) and my Kronos travels with me. I run on roads that are far from smooth, but my Kronos rides on the bed to dampen some of the harshness.

When I am stopped for my rest break, I will pull it out and mess around for a few hours. I have it plugged into a 1800w inverter and it has never failed or messed up on me.

I've had it for a year and as it was a floor model, who knows how long it was out there.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 Crashing..... Reply with quote

TimB1971 wrote:
I have bought a fancy surge protector isobar I use at church, and it crashed twice

That's logical ... surge protector is totally waste gear for SMPS kind of PSU that Kronos use !
The only protection gear , mostly for your system SSD , is the cheapest UPS that will supply PSU when net voltage
drops below 80 Volts AC for more than 0.2 seconds ... that's all !
This is the only weakness that Kronos PSU can't handle , and very critical when updating OS !
Firmware is not related with SSD & media failures that abrupt shut downs have corrupted them !

Concerning Kronos hardware , the only weak component is the above mentioned Chinese PSU (SMPS) , just like
in PC , and if ever fail , a simple and easy replacement will make your Kronos work again for other many years ,
as my benchmarks have shown in my lab.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandstudio91 wrote:
GregC,

You were saying...in another thread,just the other day?

"Fortunately, actual factory defectives are few these days from my experience around here."

If it is true,that defects are few these days,then that must mean that years ago,the Kronos has had an insane amount of defects..back then.

I guess I should have fun while I post with you Smile

As I have stated, we can't say with certainty if there is a factory
defect. an owner could have had an accident.

The numerator here is about 5 in the past 2 weeks.

It includes K2 owners going back 2 years.

The denominator for K2 sales is somewhat in the neighborhood of 1500.
That is my guess for unit sales globally. So,,,,, 5/1500 is a very rough defective estimate. I think you can do the math with the %.

I can say with good confidence new K2 sales are strong. I checked out the used market in California. VERY few here for sale in CA. And with HIGH prices.

So despite your warnings, the data says K2 is a popular keyboard despite its high cost.

Rather than bicker about ' this stuff' on the Internet, we might actually agree on some tangible points about corporations, medium sized to large.

for these cos and Korg it is all about the MONEY and the big profit. It has always been about the money, the past 5 yrs, and the profit. And it will remain that way. As we know, this is the way the corporate world rolls.

No, I don't trust any corp to look after my interests. Thats for me to figure out.
Same with you, Same for anybody.

1 more thing , I think Korg should drop the price of Kronos. Or include $500 of free 3rd party sample libs. If I was president of Korg thats what I would do. Because I am more interested in the budgets and economics of new K2 owners vs a corporation.

So possibly we agree on tangible items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: