Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

really wish korg can update the kronos's system to 64bit^

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotenla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: really wish korg can update the kronos's system to 64bit^ Reply with quote

so I can update the RAM^
I just put a 1T SSD into the Kronos as an additon Disk,but for use samples like DFD mode in Kontakt,3G RAM is tooooo small...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: really wish korg can update the kronos's system to 64bit Reply with quote

rotenla wrote:
so I can update the RAM^
I just put a 1T SSD into the Kronos as an additon Disk,but for use samples like DFD mode in Kontakt,3G RAM is tooooo small...

I don't know if the 3GiG of RAM is such a restriction. I recall reading that with SSD you can stream up to 40 Gig at a time.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have done this from the beginning but did not want to take the time to construct, code nor implement a 64bit OS for the Kronos.

Also what you have to think about is the limitation of the BIOS and motherboard. Its my understanding the Kronos uses a Dual Core CPU so most likely it supports 64bit instructions. But there are always limitations with the motherboard and BIOS. Even being able to use 16gb RAM would be sufficient and the Kronos would boot 1/4 of the time it take to boot currently. The current memory is a huge bottleneck.

Maybe Korg will hire the proper coders next time that can code 64bit. Its not hard just time consuming.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
They could have done this from the beginning but did not want to take the time to construct, code nor implement a 64bit OS for the Kronos.

Also what you have to think about is the limitation of the BIOS and motherboard. Its my understanding the Kronos uses a Dual Core CPU so most likely it supports 64bit instructions. But there are always limitations with the motherboard and BIOS. Even being able to use 16gb RAM would be sufficient and the Kronos would boot 1/4 of the time it take to boot currently. The current memory is a huge bottleneck.

Maybe Korg will hire the proper coders next time that can code 64bit. Its not hard just time consuming.

We have to look back about 8 years

Korg made some compromises way back then. For example, heat is an issue.

Possibly, we got the current confit based due to component heat.

I am not expert, but that could be 1 consideration with what they had to work with 8 years ago ( or 9 )
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.A.S.Y.S, the 32 bit OS that both the Kronos and the Oasys are based on, was developed in the 90s.

64 bit came much later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: