Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone use external MIDI keyboard to control their Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio460

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone use external MIDI keyboard to control their Kronos? Reply with quote

As most of you know, I just bought an 88-key Kronos Platinum. It was a Korg factory-refurb (which looks brand-new), priced at only $2,960 (demo units are now selling for only $2,664 at Sweetwater!). The Platinum K2 is gorgeous, but the 88's weighted keys are a bit too stiff for playing fast synth leads.

At first I thought of returning it and getting an open-box 61-key Kronos for $2,399, but I like having a large keybed for playing my new Cinematic Suite library so that I can play all octaves at once (love those Cinematic Suite bowed-basses). So I've been thinking of buying a 76-key, synth-action MIDI keyboard to use for leads and fast violin/cello solos. I assume this works fine. Anyone else do the same? Which MIDI controller did you choose and why? Thanks!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Last edited by studio460 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
studio460

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drilled-down in Sweetwater's online catalog and only came up with one synth-action MIDI keyboard which supports both MIDI and aftertouch: Roland's A-800 for $399. Unfortunately, it's only 61-keys (not sure how accurate or complete Sweetwater's drill-down categories are). If the specs say it supports aftertouch, does that mean that it sends the correct aftertouch messages to the Kronos?

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS

dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the smaller 2-1/2 octave version (the Roland A-300PRO) with the Kronos for several years, as a right-hand controller for lead lines...it's a very high-quality instrument, has a solid synth-action keybed, and all those programmable controllers are great - most any Kronos parameter can be immediately available with no menu diving...it sends the correct aftertouch messages to the Kronos, the only problem being that you really had to lean on the keys to get them so send aftertouch...I had to modity the A-300 aftertouch ciircuit board to make it more sensitive...there were complaints from other people about this on the Roland forums, too, so maybe Roland has changed the aftertouch sensitivity on more recent A-x00PROs...

df

Here's a link to the Cakewalk forum where I describe my mods, in a posting from "dfahrner" near the bottom of the page:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/APro-Aftertouch-m2123156-p2.aspx
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your budget. There are many new inexpensive controllers but they can be of quite ordinary quality. If you have a low budget, you will find better choices in the used and also in controllers made earlier.

In my case, I prefer keyboards with weighted actions. I still use my 27+ years old MIDIboard and I enjoy using it with the K2 since all Kronos versions respond to poly aftertouch.
Perilous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main complaints I hear about the Roland A-Pro boards is that the tops of the black keys feel more narrow than usual, and you have to drop a anvil on the keys to trigger the aftertouch. But the benefits are superb! You can use it to control the Kronos with Midi DIN or USB (with the USB Advanced Driver turned off). If you use the 5-pin Midi, you can take advantage of sysex (system exclusive) messages, which is excellent for control over the CX-3 engine, and for various parameters in Combi mode.

For me the Kronos 88 is too heavy. Lots of people have been known to use a Kronos 61 to drop the weight, and use a 88-key controller like the Privia PX-5S. I use the Kawai ES-110. You could get a MIDI Solutions M8 are divvy out the 16 timbres to a myriad of different keyboards, but ain't nobody has the space for that.
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input guys! Very helpful! Yes, the Kronos 88's action is even stiffer than my Roland G8's (which I thought was pretty stiff!). Good to know I can get aftertouch to work properly. Since I'm currently still all-hardware, I'll be using the five-pin DIN MIDI output to control the Kronos (I can't use a USB connection to control the Kronos without a computer in the mix, can I?).

Perilous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
Since I'm currently still all-hardware, I'll be using the five-pin DIN MIDI output to control the Kronos (I can't use a USB connection to control the Kronos without a computer in the mix, can I?).

No, you don't need a computer for that. The Kronos has two Type A USB ports on the back that you can plug any controller straight into. Well... maybe not every controller, but a ton of them! (it's a class compliant thing, I reckon)
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72768
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That’s great. I didn’t even know you could do that! I can try my Nektar Impact LX25+ USB controller that I bought to use with my laptop right now!

dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roland A-x00PRO controller keyboards USB "B" connecter can be connected directly to one of the Kronos "A" USBs for both power and MIDI connections...yes, any controller that is "MIDI USB class compliant" will work this way...

df

Last edited by dfahrner on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the other way. I bought the Kronos2-61 for the brains and it’s fast synth/organ action. I connect it to a Studiologic SL88 Studio for weighted piano action. You only need a single USB cable to connect them together... don’t even need a power cable to the SL88 since it is bus-powered.

I don’t love the SL88 action, but it’s not too bad. It’s a little heavy and kind of... mushy? But I’ll get used to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: