Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
mm-pro wrote:
Also, their customer support is totally web based. I am starting to regret trusting the company with my livelihood.

The sample library restriction is draconian. I don’t know how they expect touring musician’s to spec Kronos on their riders, when you can’t move your libraries to rental machines.

I would be upset if in your situation
we have discussed these issues thoroughly for almost 7 years here.

Since gigging keyboardists are 100% reliant on their K, we have often said it almost is a necessity to have 2 K's. It sounds crazy but it seems like the only insurance policy.

we have discussed how folks can plan - depending on your complexity, a 2nd board of some quality is a must. It sounds counter intuitive, maybe a Krome
might be a decent backup plan.

Sorry to say, don't count on Korg to read these posts. I think not having user support is a big mistake.

Roland , for example, as I understand, has really stepped up to the plate on service. You can actually get Roland on the phone and have a good talk.
This does not help you today, I know.

Yes Greg that is why I am considering buying Roland products because their tech support is excellent and they are extremely courteous.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
I already did the connector check.

Did you make sure the tiny ribbon going to the screen is still deep in its connector ? Here it is in my K2, I had to remove it to do a mod at some point and thought it was particularly easy to undo. I would suppose with years of moving and playing at gigs on sometimes shaking stands that this thing could easily end up disconnected. That would be a more happy ending than having to replace your screen. Cool

Just a thought, in case you didn't check this one in particular (see the bottom red circle on pic below).

mm-pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I tightened every connector. I am thinking the display card failed. The Kronos was working fine. I left it on in the studio overnight and the screen was dead in the morning. Too late to double check as I dropped it for service this morning.

Thanks for your suggestion.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention Kronos Connect is working fine now on the new unit. Handy little utility, that.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add that I eventually heard from Korg customer service. They allowed me to authorize a number of libraries I had on the old Kronos, on the new one. Unfortunately, I had already repurchased a few, but they saved me easily $1000US. Thanks Korg USA.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Kronos back today. $90.00 repair! Just a resistor & a transistor were blown. Looks like I lucked out.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear a quick fix netted you a 2nd backup Kronos and experience to share with all of us. Hopefully not too many gigs were disrupted.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gigs went fine. Just an very large unexpected outlay for a new Kronos. Now, I have to decide if I want to keep both, or sell the older one.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
My gigs went fine. Just an very large unexpected outlay for a new Kronos. Now, I have to decide if I want to keep both, or sell the older one.

Only thing better than Kronos, is two kronos’ Laughing
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also perhaps worth mentioning for future reference that there was a recent post in which another user was given authorisation by Korg to transfer sample libraries over from their previous Kronos. So there should be no reason for you to have to shell out a second time. Anyway, good that you're up and running again...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
It's also perhaps worth mentioning for future reference that there was a recent post in which another user was given authorisation by Korg to transfer sample libraries over from their previous Kronos. So there should be no reason for you to have to shell out a second time. Anyway, good that you're up and running again...

It seems we have to ' interpret ' Korgs policy about this. Policy should not be ambiguous or ' it depends '

Of course, Korg should be reasonable depending on circumstances. I am not one to assume 'free replacement ' given the situation. Plus Korgs turnaround time to reply to a request is not clear to me. Should a reply be answered in 24 - 48 hours ? Musicians livelihood and plans depend on a Kronos.

Personally, I would not be very excited waiting around for several days wondering what the status is of my sample lib request.

I think Kronos owners should have a fair expectation on this issue. Like I said, the policy and response time from Korg is not that clear. Many Kronos owners have obligations and plans.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, count me in as thinking Korg should adopt a more modern strategy with regards to sample library licensing. Just about any VST library allows for at least 2 and sometimes more instances of the library on different machines. The one machine ID license scheme has discouraged me from buying a second Kronos and I am sure it has made it difficult for artists to use backline Kronos’ for touring. Korg was generous to me and did give me some duplicate licenses for my new machine. Still, to keep the two machines in sync, I still need to buy the Kronos 2 library instruments for the older machine for another $249.00US. I am not thrilled about that at all.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
Well, count me in as thinking Korg should adopt a more modern strategy with regards to sample library licensing. Just about any VST library allows for at least 2 and sometimes more instances of the library on different machines. The one machine ID license scheme has discouraged me from buying a second Kronos and I am sure it has made it difficult for artists to use backline Kronos’ for touring. Korg was generous to me and did give me some duplicate licenses for my new machine. Still, to keep the two machines in sync, I still need to buy the Kronos 2 library instruments for the older machine for another $249.00US. I am not thrilled about that at all.

you are not alone with your recommendation. We have been saying the same for + 5-6 years. Given the K is likely at EOL for product development, I think its a stretch that there will be any change in Korg policy.

I think a more up to date type change could result in years or hundreds of earlier claims. Like opening pandora's box.

Meanwhile the K2 seems to be selling just fine so there is little if any financial
motivation to make policy changes.

I go by history and data to arrive at my conclusions.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did open up OASYS libraries at EOL. Time will tell, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: