Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos (2) 73 key second SSD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelkulus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Broadwave,

Quote:
I've added a second SSD to my K88 2, no problems with it - I had to remove a few screws to lift the keybed up to get the SATA cable onto the Motherboard.

I have the same K88 2, and when I opened up the keyboard saw the same thing – I need to lift up the keybed to access the SATA ports. Here are some images:

Image from another angle

I was intimidated by the number of screws to move the keybed – I have lots of experience doing this with computers, but never with a synth and it was an expensive one Smile Can you elaborate at all on how to lift up the keybed? Number of screws, locations, any documentation you found? Thanks!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelkulus wrote:
Hi Broadwave,

Quote:
I've added a second SSD to my K88 2, no problems with it - I had to remove a few screws to lift the keybed up to get the SATA cable onto the Motherboard.

I have the same K88 2, and when I opened up the keyboard saw the same thing – I need to lift up the keybed to access the SATA ports. Here are some images:

Image from another angle

I was intimidated by the number of screws to move the keybed – I have lots of experience doing this with computers, but never with a synth and it was an expensive one Smile Can you elaborate at all on how to lift up the keybed? Number of screws, locations, any documentation you found? Thanks!

I am surprised to read there is this hassle with a K2 88.

I have the original K88. so my steps pertain to that.

Your BOOT SSD should be in SATA port Zero or 0

You insert your 2nd or new SSD SATA cable into SATA port 1.

I have the original K88 and never had to mess around with the Keybed brace, such as unscrewing it. That sounds problematic.

Further more, for the bottom cover, you don't unscrew the screws with the rubber feet. Leave those intact.

Remove the other 25 screws.

The videos spell all this out. Watch 'em, esp Sharps ( irish acts) youtube.
kelkulus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying. It seems the K2 88 has a different layout to the K 88. The images I posted here and
here are of the 2 SATA ports, I labelled the SATA 0 as "first SATA port" and SATA 1 as "second SATA port."

Sharp's video is unfortunately not applicable to the K2 88.

The issue with the K2 is that there is a large, flexible metal sheet pushing down on the SATA ports, and makes access difficult for SATA 0 and impossible for SATA 1 without lifting out the keybed a few cm.

If I figure out any method for the K2 88 I'll be sure to post instructions.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelkulus wrote:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying. It seems the K2 88 has a different layout to the K 88. The images I posted here and
here are of the 2 SATA ports, I labelled the SATA 0 as "first SATA port" and SATA 1 as "second SATA port."

Sharp's video is unfortunately not applicable to the K2 88.

The issue with the K2 is that there is a large, flexible metal sheet pushing down on the SATA ports, and makes access difficult for SATA 0 and impossible for SATA 1 without lifting out the keybed a few cm.

If I figure out any method for the K2 88 I'll be sure to post instructions.

Thank you for clarifying. I find it disappointing that Korg made this difficult
on the K2. One might wonder if Korg wants K2 owners to go to auth service
for a 2nd SSD install.

Extra SSD storage is essential. I can see why many K2 owners would need a 2nd SSD with 120 Gig-250 gig.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal foil is held with adhesive and can be gently peeled away from one end and later re-fitted.
This will provide better access to the sata port.

BTW….We owners are not really meant to delve into the Kronos anyway….so why would Korg make things easy….Wink

Good Luck with the intended task....I'm sure things will be ok.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
T

BTW….We owners are not really meant to delve into the Kronos anyway….so why would Korg make things easy….Wink

yes, the 25 screws on the bottom cover, 2 slightly different sizes was the 1st test of DIY persistence Smile
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the access issues also apply to the Kronos 2 61 key ?

Also, do I need an extra SATA cable or is there one in the Kronos ? (Wishful thinking ) Laughing

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did all the procedure and didn't find it was hard.

1°) Go there to see how to unscrew the back panel ("Étape 2" only) : https://www.kronoscopie.fr/ajout-de-ram.html. When I did that I prepared a table apart and placed each screw on it, according the same layout, in order to place the same screw into its same hole, when reassembling.

2°) You must use a Right Angle (90°) Sata cable to plug into the motherboard. A straight one doesn't fit at all.
And yes, you must pull up the keyboard, just a little bit, in order to plug in the cable. But it's easy to do. Then, the keyboard takes its place back easily

3°) The length of the Sata cable depends on the Kronos model :

- Kronos 61 : câble SATA 50 cm
- Kronos 73 : câble SATA 60 cm
- Kronos 88 : câble SATA 75 cm
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Hello,

1°) Go there to see how to unscrew the back panel ("Étape 2" only) : https://www.kronoscopie.fr/ajout-de-ram.html. When I did that I prepared a table apart and placed each screw on it, according the same layout, in order to place the same screw into its same hole, when reassembling.

2°) You must use a Right Angle (90°) Sata cable to plug into the motherboard. A straight one doesn't fit at all.
And yes, you must pull up the keyboard, just a little bit, in order to plug in the cable. But it's easy to do. Then, the keyboard takes its place back easily

Hi !

Thankyou for such a comprehensive reply ! That is very helpful!

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Hello,

Hi !

Thankyou for such a comprehensive reply ! That is very helpful!

Just get prepared to add the 2nd SSD. I am not the DIY type but I think one has to be patient and careful. Give yourself 1 hour, start to finish.

A power screwdriver will help with the 25 screws for the bottom hatch( or cover).

When mounting the 2nd SSD, its very easy to drop a screw in the chassis.

It appears you will experience the tight quarters inside the K2 61.

Let us know how it goes.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Greg. There is no technical difficulty in this operation but one has to be very careful, patient and rigorous, at first not to loose the least part (screw for example).

Of course, it was obvious, I haven't mentionned that one must unplug the power cable first !!

It would be a good thing too to touch a metallic objet in order to avoid static electricity wich could damage some onboard circuit. Or, better, we can use this kind of antistatic wrist strap, very useful : https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grounding-Alligator-RTK-002-Detachable/dp/B004N8ZQKY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534774646&sr=8-3&keywords=antistatic+wrist+strap&dpID=41kpz1uT0oL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

All in all, the most difficult part has been to find a good way to flip the Kronos 2 73 (wich is rather heavy !) on the table without damaging one of the two joysticks. I used bubble wrap and it did the job. (All the more so because I had to repair the picth bend joystick along with the addition of the second SSD !)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
You're right Greg. There is no technical difficulty in this operation but one has to be very careful, patient and rigorous, at first not to loose the least part (screw for example).

Of course, it was obvious, I haven't mentionned that one must unplug the power cable first !!

It would be a good thing too to touch a metallic objet in order to avoid static electricity wich could damage some onboard circuit. Or, better, we can use this kind of antistatic wrist strap, very useful :

-All in all, the most difficult part has been to find a good way to flip the Kronos 2 73 (wich is rather heavy !) on the table without damaging one of the two joysticks. I used bubble wrap and it did the job. (All the more so because I had to repair the picth bend joystick along with the addition of the second SSD !)

I agree. The joystick and vector stand out and are fragile- easy to break with some pressure from the flipped over chassis

I use/insert small pillows so that there is no weight or resting on the Vector and joystick
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I’ve installed my 120gb hard drive without any problems.
Fortunately, there was plenty room. I didn’t have to move anything out of the way.

Thankyou to all who helped Wink

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Hi everyone!

Fortunately, there was plenty room. I didn’t have to move anything out of the way.

You still had to lift the keyed though, right? I'm thinking of adding a 2nd as well. Things like this just freak me out. Not a DIY person at all!

PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Hi everyone!

You still had to lift the keyed though, right? I'm thinking of adding a 2nd as well. Things like this just freak me out. Not a DIY person at all!

I didn’t have to lift the keybed at all. It was straightforward. Maybe the 61 key is different?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: