Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really annoying sequencer bug :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Really annoying sequencer bug :( Reply with quote

I don't know how I manage to find all the bugs, but every time I use the drum track in a sequence I seem to run into problems Sad

Created a sequence today based on a Program (using record + enter to initialise a song from a program). Recorded a bit using the pads and KARMA. At measure 8 I decided I wanted the drum track to come in, so whilst recording hit the "Drum Track" button.

This all worked fine, and the drum track started at the right time.

I then converted the MIDI track to a pattern, and that's when things got weird.

After doing so, the drum track still worked as expected, but when returning to the start, the drum track would no longer automatically turn off.

But then things got even weirder.

I cleared the offending patterns, and completely erased all he tracks in my sequence. But from that point on, the drum track would seemingly randomly turn itself on. There were two ways I could reliably reproduce this: opening the "Event Edit" page, and closing it, would always cause the drum track to re-activate, and at the end of recording (but not playback).

I'm pretty sure I have had similar issues in the past, though that was a few years ago. Has anyone else come across something similar or know what the cause might be?

In the end, I had to delete my song and start over, as even copying the song propagated the issue. It seems every time I try to use the sequencer for anything other than basic recording I encounter weird issues.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, your next post is your 1000th, congratulations bro.

When I have used the drum tracks with Karma, I just record on the main page. If I want anything to change, I play up to that point then change the Karma setting and then start recording again from the measure that I want it to change. That seems to be the only way to control all the changes in a simplistic but effective way.

To be honest though, I'm no expert, I just don't use Karma anymore. I make everything bespoke because I feel that I have more control and it's more 'just me'.

I am also very lazy at learning stuff. Embarassed

The only bug on the sequencer that gets me is when you record and mute a track by mistake or for a reason. That mute is stuck in the song, even if you start recording fresh from measure 1.

But having seen my dad struggle with Cubase, the Kronos sequencer is a dream.

Shocked
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to be sure that you included the right data when “Erasing” tracks or measures.

The erase feature from the track edit menu commands has a dialogue box that lets you specify what part of the full event data package. Are you set to all? Did you erase “All” and then go back and try erase while set to “exclusive”.

Also when you recorded the pattern and then converted to drum pattern, it may have included the drum track start message in the midi data. I do convert to drum track in RPPR and one thing RPPR does is record all kinds of data from exclusive to control data and regular midi note data. So all of that can end up in an RPPR pattern and likely carried over to user pattern when converted to pattern. That would explain the weird on/off response for the drum track using that pattern.

https://youtu.be/P5qOr3FMlb0

This video goes over the ways to erase data included in mid tracks and included informative tips about what to avoid and what is going on in midi event lists.
Here is an old thread from the forum about control change and SysEx data problems when erasing tracks.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100463&sid=746a9f15c3c93df6444a7375c60238a3

If its not a bug, then what i am replying here is the most likely issue.
Worth a look into before deciding it is a bug in the OS.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 645 parameter guide talks about “Erase Track” feature.
If you do not select “All tracks” or “All midi tracks” it will only erase the midi data in the specified track and leave Master track full of any 1-16 track data assigned there. It also says that you cannot erase master track data by itself. Master track takes the control or SysEx data while the specified tracks 1-16 takes primarily the note data. So a track may be erased but still have parts of its data churning away somewhere in Master track. Master track is like a ghost track that can haunt you like a bug, a virtual track of sorts for supporting all tracks.

You will have to use “Erase Measure” feature which lets you specify what kind of data is erased over however many measures, or “Erase control data” which lets you select Master track to get to the data there and erase it.

~~~~~~~~~Page 645 parameter guide~~~~~~~~~~~~
Erase Track
This command erases the data from the specified track. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ERASE THE MASTER TRACK BY ITSELF.
1. In Track Select, select the track that you wish to erase.
2. Select “Erase Track” to open the dialog box.
MIDI tracks

Select the track whose data you want to erase.
If you do not check All Tracks, All MIDI Tracks, or All Audio Tracks, only the playback data of the track you selected in Track Select will be erased.
If you check All Tracks, the playback data of all tracks (MIDI tracks, master track, and audio tracks) will be erased. WAVE files and regions will not be erased.
If you check All MIDI Tracks (when Track Select is set to a MIDI Track 01–16), the playback data of all MIDI tracks (MIDI Track 01–16) will be erased.
If you check All Audio Tracks (when Track Select is set to an Audio Track 01–16), the playback data of all audio tracks (Audio Track 01–16) will be erased.
Note: WAVE files and regions will not be erased.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Master track is rather complicated and holds data from all other tracks. So it is off limits for some edit features because sorting which data belongs to which track is not easy.

So “Erase MEASURE” feature may be the best option for getting safe and effective micro surgery edits to your track data. “Erase TRACK” is not as detailed editing and leaves master track data there to haunt you like a bug.

Also if you have that same midi data cloned in the user drum pattern, you may have to put that drum pattern back to track and use “erase measure” to edit out the drum track stop/start message which could be part of “Exclusive” data (SysEx). That must be what is ruining your normal drum track start stop utility.
And then put the properly edited midi data back into drum pattern user slot without the rogue cntrl data or sysex to haunt it.
Drum track on/off is some kind of control data or sysEx that is recorded, and you proved that by recording it the first time without issues. The data is likely in Master track where it cannot be erased with “Erase track” feature. “Erase measure” has a dialogue box with options to select the data types needing to be erased and that will reach into Master track data stash if need be.
Here is that video again showing SysEx erase via “Erase measure” feature

https://youtu.be/P5qOr3FMlb0

Hope this helps. I still have a bug i have not figured out but it has not crippled me beyond just a single combi i made. I moved on and no issues inthe next combi i made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: