Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocklander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: looking for a sound Reply with quote

hiya.

firstly, can anyone recommend a patch I can use to get the Tom Petty 'breakdown' sound.. ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQQYUjPUNQ

new to playing keyboard (guitarist for many years so hoping the learning curve isn't insane) I bought a rk100s for a laugh last year and enjoyed it, but don't find it very editable (without understanding of all the technical bits in the software, and I don't) so I bought a Kross last week so I can try and edit on the fly more.
got some stuff under my belt already finding and loading sounds, but struggling with knowing the terminology of the bits I'd like to adjust still (let alone where to adjust them).

I've checked the integrated sounds (and update packs) I could and nothing there, and not even sure what the type in the song above is.. hammond? wurlitzer?
lots of churchy sounding organs and some deep purple john lord stuff.. but nothing that sounds like that one.. any help gratefully appreciated.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg have expansion packs for their keyboards.

The Kross has

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/kross/page_5.php

Maybe there is something within the pack.

As it is each sound in the Kross is fully customisable as it is, choose the nearest sound program and go into its tabs and adjust the parametere to suit.

Have a look through the Korg Video Manual tutorials for the Kross that are on Youtube as they show breifly how to adjust the sounds and how to layer them in a Combi
arc1953

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for Kross 1 or Kross 2, or does it make a difference?
KalvinB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Benmont Tench use a Rhodes piano, a grand piano, and Hammond B3. You might try some of the "suitcase" e-piano sounds on the Kross 2 or in the freebie Kross expansion pack, which seems to work with the Kross 2.
rocklander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback (particularly KalvinB for the sound ID)
it looks like I have a Kross 1 (arc1953)

I did go through all the native integrated patches, the bonus pack (5 of them IIRC) and the Synthesaurus pack too and none of them really sounded close.

I've messed with one of the 'organ' patches and have it closer (eventually found how to make it sound more tremolo'd).. it's passable but not that classic hammond sound.
weirdly I found some much closer ones on the rk100s and the microkorg.. kinda expected the same (and more) would be on the kross... still fun times and so much for me to learn but infinitely more 'useable' than the microkorg and more editable than the keytar
KalvinB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Hammond organ sound goes the Korg rotary speaker effect is pretty bad. I've been trying to tweak mine and have it a little closer to where it should be but the rotors don't wind up or down like a real Leslie does. Good luck with it!
arc1953

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very satisfied with most of the factory patches on the Kross2. I am not satisfied with the organ sound, particularly the rotary speaker effect. I have been tweaking one of the existing patches, and have gotten it noticeably better, but there is still room to improve.
rocklander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. seems weird to me that this is a pretty obvious omission when the rk100s has one that's great (not sure if it was native, or one I downloaded).
sutekh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be tone deaf (or timbre-deaf) cause to me it just sounds like a regular electric piano with rotary speaker. You could probably approximate it closer by tweaking the EQ, maybe add compression.

I'm sure there are even better rotary speaker effects out there, but on the Kross you can adjust everything- speed of the speaker rotation, mic spread, even how long it takes to get to full speed- so I really don't understand what could be lacking in the Kross Rotary Speaker effect.
rocklander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sutekh wrote:
I must be tone deaf (or timbre-deaf) cause to me it just sounds like a regular electric piano with rotary speaker. You could probably approximate it closer by tweaking the EQ, maybe add compression.

I'm sure there are even better rotary speaker effects out there, but on the Kross you can adjust everything- speed of the speaker rotation, mic spread, even how long it takes to get to full speed- so I really don't understand what could be lacking in the Kross Rotary Speaker effect.

I think what is lacking the most is my understanding of how to tweak the sound Smile
ARDRR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sutekh wrote:
I must be tone deaf

I think you're on to something here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: