Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many CPU´s have Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be talking about the original kronos.

https://marcan.st/2016/06/hacking-and-upgrading-the-korg-kronos/

Gives details about the internal hardware and the work each part takes on.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
Korg could have easily installed a quad core CPU and still make a ton of money. Don't understand why they went with a dual core when even 32bit linux supports quad core. Right now most bottle necking is at the CPU only for performance issues. I don't count RAM allocation size part of performance . Korg could have hit a "better" home-run with a quad core even though they did hit a home-run.

?

the real point was this (quad core) available and Financially feasible with 100% stability 8 years ago by Korg and for the Kronos ?

The platform AFAIAC is all bout trade offs and costs.

How much was a quad core CPU 8 years ago ? Did it exist ?
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I guess I am at the happy age in life where if something works then it is good enough for me! Smile

Same here quad core octa core it does not matter as long as it does the job .
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
Korg could have easily installed a quad core CPU and still make a ton of money. Don't understand why they went with a dual core when even 32bit linux supports quad core. Right now most bottle necking is at the CPU only for performance issues. I don't count RAM allocation size part of performance . Korg could have hit a "better" home-run with a quad core even though they did hit a home-run.

It's always nice to have more, and we can only hypothesize as to the reasons they didn't go down that road, but I think there's potentially a few reasons they didn't.

A more powerful processor means higher thermal dissipation, which means more cooling is required. It also necessitates a larger power supply, which also generates more heat.

Secondly, at the time of the Kronos' design phase, 45nm was the smallest lithography available in the Atom series. The 32nm Cedarview processors only became available after the release of the Kronos and were still only dual-core. Quad-core atom processors only became available in 2013, and to utilize all four cores would require a redesign of the Kronos' software.

That being said, my gut feeling is that we will eventually see a new version of the Kronos with a quad-core atom processor. Korg have invested heavily in development of the OASYS / Kronos concepts and releasing a board with an upgraded processor and similar software will be a (relatively) inexpensive proposition for Korg.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Dell Inspiron Duo laptop (netbook, really) a few years ago (2011). THAT one had an Atom processor with hyperthreading (2 cores, 2 threads each). It still ran slower than dirt (1.66 MHz, would lag out terribly in Windows 7 and 10). Also, couldn't the 4th CPU be dedicated to the OS?
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing is noon really knows what the arm chip is actually doing other than it supposedly handles the display and possible the audio i/o.

I believe that the pages about modding the Kronos is up to date with the Kronos-x. Adding a new board like the one suggested and choosing a 7'th Generation i5-7600k would significantly improve performance even compared to the Kronos 2 as the D2550 is only about 11% faster than the D525 used in the Kronos X. Its running 1.85 vs 1.80Ghz, where as the i5-7600K runs 3.80 Ghz Base clock. Its got more than 12x as much processing power as the Atom.

Its worth noticing tho, that unless you are well known with tweaking linux, and willing to mod the Korg loaders settings, and even you can change the note stealing settings there still is a build in soft limit of each voice engine wich means you won't get anywhere near to 12x the power. A cheaper i3 will propably also hit the limit Korg put into the software.

As I see it, its a much a bigger problem that the Kronos uses a 32bit OS, wich most people know greatly limits how many libraries , even they use disk streaming, that you can have loaded at once.
Just being able to have 8gb of memory instead of 3.25, wich I believe the currently used motherboard of a Kronos 2 actually supports. even the 64bit OS would have a slightly bigger memory usage you would more than tripple the ammount of available sample preload size.

So in my logic I really don't get Korg ..

1. The i3/5/7 is able to run Atom optimized code
2. Even a fairly cheap 6'th generation i3 running 3.8Ghz has a 10x perf. boost running compared to the Atom.
3. Remove the restraints on max polyphonics of the soft synth engines, fast check the code for any issues ..., recompile it for 64bit It would take what .. propably under a couple days.
4. Put it into a modded Kronos with a compatible MB and said i3, and then have someone testing it. i am pretty sure Korg have endorsed musicians that would gladly test it, and they could have a fast updated Kronos 3 ready for the next decade while they could work on optimizing the code for multicore work. And btw the newer Atom cpu's DO have hyperthreading, so they are are able to run 4 threads just like most dual core i3 and i5's.

The whole point is they don't even have to spent a whole lot of time optimizing their system for quad cores or bigger. They could just make the code recompile for 64bit to take advantage of a more modern dual core i-series with high base clock and the system would be nearly 10x as powerfull and be able to use as much ram as the mb can handle plus the extra advantage of possible much faster and more compact .m2 slot SSD's.

That would also make it possible for them to have some cheaper models with a mobile chip, or a soc. based mb. There is so many posibilities today for fairly cheap solutions that would easy outpower the existing Kronos models, simply because the processors are so much more powerfull. The usage of Atom is kicking a dead horse, when you can just use a more powerfull cpu that cost about the same and run the existing Atom optimized code 10x as fast.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said this a few hundred times, there is a list of what Korg 'should ' do or could do.

Given this type of topic has been going on for 8 years, my uninformed guess is , Korg might start with a blank palette on a new model vs chasing the annual tech spec game every year.

Or like you suggest, they might be able to address many of the improvement areas and that might be enough power and remain cost effective. Call it a better spec'd Kronos 2.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Korg might start with a blank palette on a new model vs chasing the annual tech spec game every year.

That might actually be why they have been so quiet about doing an actual serious upgrade of the Kronos.

I honestly think Korg peed their pants when they realised someone very fast managed to almost "hack" the whole Kronos software, based on an open source OS and they could have gotten a whole lot of trouble of trying protecting it in a sofware infringing case that would at least cost them a shitload of money if it would come to that, even they maybe would have won it, if someone actually would have went on and made a Kronos "Clone" for free download.

So I am not sure we will see another product from them published under an open source license, even there is no problem in making something commercial wich is not free upon an open source system. They will propably at least want to make sure the next project is better prepared for this and the right measures have been taken to protect their own "not free" source. You actually have the whole Kronos source included on the 3 DVD's.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
GregC wrote:
Korg might start with a blank palette on a new model vs chasing the annual tech spec game every year.

That might actually be why they have been so quiet about doing an actual serious upgrade of the Kronos.

I honestly think Korg peed their pants when they realised someone very fast managed to almost "hack" the whole Kronos software, based on an open source OS and they could have gotten a whole lot of trouble of trying protecting it in a sofware infringing case that would at least cost them a shitload of money if it would come to that, even they maybe would have won it, if someone actually would have went on and made a Kronos "Clone" for free download.

So I am not sure we will see another product from them published under an open source license, even there is no problem in making something commercial wich is not free upon an open source system. They will propably at least want to make sure the next project is better prepared for this and the right measures have been taken to protect their own "not free" source. You actually have the whole Kronos source included on the 3 DVD's.

I have my opinion about certain issues.

Korg is quiet about new product development because thats the standard business culture rooted in the 70's/80's.

I doubt the "Kronos hacks' have impacted Korg sales in a country. Sure, if someone starts bragging about a successful hack, and its early in the product cycle, say from year 1-4 , Korg is going to vigilantly protect their IP. There legal dep't knows how to deal with this.This will not be front page news.

Once again, IMO. I am cautious about any Kronos hack. If the hack is not stable, and the hacked Kronos crashes frequently, and the components generate excessive heat, no thank you. I am not impressed and not interested. Keep in mind, I am a musician. I rely on experts for product invention.

If the Kronos hack had 10 users giving the hacked keyboard 60 days of actual use, thats the proof I would go by. There is theoretical, which is where good ideas start, and there is real world product testing.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when Korg proudly releases its new 64 system workstation, everyone else will be already in 128 ... maybe even 256... maybe even...

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
SKung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
This may be talking about the original kronos.

https://marcan.st/2016/06/hacking-and-upgrading-the-korg-kronos/

Gives details about the internal hardware and the work each part takes on.

We could write essays here about what Korg might do next and dream of 64bit OS, stronger hardware or new feates.

Alternatively we could put efforts to elaborate on further developing that approach to find a reliable and reproduce-able way of replacing the original mainboard with a stronger one.

Result should be some installation procedure like:
- remove original harddrive with OS and connect it to a computer
- apply patch xy
- replace motherboard on the Kronos and put harddrive back
- Turn power on and have fun

I wouldn't expect support from Korg here, that 'business culture rooted in the 70's/80's' is spread amongst hardware manufacturers widely.
SKung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Korg could make money and offer an 'Upgrade service', like 'send the Kronos in or bring it to the next dealer and we replace the mainboard for 500 bucks with a stronger one'.

I'd pay for that.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKung wrote:
Or Korg could make money and offer an 'Upgrade service', like 'send the Kronos in or bring it to the next dealer and we replace the mainboard for 500 bucks with a stronger one'.

I'd pay for that.

Kronos is just 1 of its many products. If we go bigger picture, we can get a sense of their priorities by seeing what new products they introduce every year.

I don't believe Korg is interested in the computer component business. The service centers might seem a natural for an upgrade service but they are run under the various country distributors.

I like the idea, but I see obstacles in Korg making this effort. Plus it would not be 'cheap'.
SKung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Plus it would not be 'cheap'.

250$ for Board, CPU and RAM.
100$ for replacement work
450$ for planning, organization and profit
---------------------
800$ price for the customer

Maybe I would be willing to pay up to 1k.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKung wrote:
GregC wrote:
Plus it would not be 'cheap'.

250$ for Board, CPU and RAM.
100$ for replacement work
450$ for planning, organization and profit
---------------------
800$ price for the customer

Maybe I would be willing to pay up to 1k.

Power supply and fan ?
Plus some cables and connectors

I am not even certain if the current OS can take advantage

If so, an OS upgrade has to be considered. Professionl Linux/software programming is not cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: