Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos HD1 Program Structure, Is It Possible.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzikalgeeneeyus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Kronos HD1 Program Structure, Is It Possible..... Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering, can the Kronos HD1 be progammed to have sample programs/patches that contain many different sounds with the own synthesis on the same layer/oscillator? ie, like the Akai/Emu/Roland, Keygroup/Voice/Partial structure you find in their samplers programs.

I have studied the manual, just don't know if its possible though. Hope this all makes sense.

Any confirmation/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' 9 engines form the basis of so called Programs (Patches on other keyboards, and in Omnisphere). The Programs can then be used as building blocks to create Combinations, or Combis, which combine up to 16 Programs, which can, if desired, be split across the keyboard, layered, velocity-switched and might be considered the equivalents of Partials on other keyboards. Combinations are equivalent to Multis in Omnisphere, or Performances in the Roland Fantom.

The Kronos HD-1 engine is sample-based. It is not a synth engine, as such. An HD-1 Program can contain two "oscillators", and each oscillator can comprise up to 8 different sample layers that are velocity-switched, and don't have to be the same sound type e.g. one layer could be a piano sample set, another could be drum samples, a third could be a synth sound sample set, which leads to some interesting possibilities, especially as the samples that are triggered by a particular note velocity can overlap, giving rise to mixes of samples forming the "oscillator" output, with the amounts in each mix being determined by key velocity. The samples can be your own, or derived from so-called EXs libraries. EXs stands for Expansion Samples, and not to be confused with EXi libraries, which are Expansion Instruments. The HD-1 engine can use EXs, but it cannot use EXi.

The remaining 8 Kronos engines can use EXi libraries, and Programs that are not of the HD-1 type, can use any combination of these EXi types for each of their two oscillators. Think about that for a moment. So it is possible to combine, say, an AL-1 Analog Synth type oscillator, with a MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM synthesiser in a single Program, with several different Programs being combined into a Combi, the possibilities are seemingly limitless. The only real limiting factor to ambitiously complex Combis is probably polyphony, but the resulting soundscapes can be so sonically rich, that the player only has to hit a couple of notes at a time.

Last edited by voip on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In program mode you cannot mix EXi with HD-1. You can layer 2 EXi oscillators and 2 HD-1 oscillators. And in HD-1 you can have up to 8 layers of waveforms. Otherwise in Combi mode you can have 16 of any type of synth engine, but the more you use the more polyphony will suffer.
muzikalgeeneeyus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos' 9 engines form the basis of so called Programs (Patches on other keyboards, and in Omnisphere). The Programs can then be used as building blocks to create Combinations, or Combis, which combine up to 16 Programs, which can, if desired, be split across the keyboard, layered, velocity-switched and might be considered the equivalents of Partials on other keyboards. Combinations are equivalent to Multis in Omnisphere, or Performances in the Roland Fantom.

The Kronos HD-1 engine is sample-based. It is not a synth engine, as such. An HD-1 Program can contain two "oscillators", and each oscillator can comprise up to 8 different sample layers that are velocity-switched, and don't have to be the same sound type e.g. one layer could be a piano sample set, another could be drum samples, a third could be a synth sound sample set, which leads to some interesting possibilities, especially as the samples that are triggered by a particular note velocity can overlap, giving rise to mixes of samples forming the "oscillator" output, with the amounts in each mix being determined by key velocity. The samples can be your own, or derived from so-called EXs libraries. EXs stands for Expansion Samples, and not to be confused with EXi libraries, which are Expansion Instruments. The HD-1 engine can use EXs, but it cannot use EXi.

The remaining 8 Kronos engines can use EXi libraries, and Programs that are not of the HD-1 type, can use any combination of these EXi types for each of their two oscillators. Think about that for a moment. So it is possible to combine, say, an AL-1 Analog Synth type oscillator, with a MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM synthesiser in a single Program, with several different Programs being combined into a Combi, the possibilities are seemingly limitless. The only real limiting factor to ambitiously complex Combis is probably polyphony, but the resulting soundscapes can be so sonically rich, that the player only has to hit a couple of notes at a time.

Hey, thanks for the explanation, so combis are a great way to get that sort of architechture.

It leads me to another question. Can you confirm if its possible to use more than one combi in Seq mode? again reading the manual I'm not sure if its possible.

For instance, if you have a combi on MIDI channel 1 and another combi on MIDI channel 2 etc, can all the combis be used in Seq mode ie, upto 16 combis? Or is this just wishful thinking. I know polyphony would be and issue for the most part, just need confirmation on whether its possibe.

Cheers for any help.

Thanks to all.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combination Mode & Sequencer Mode are 2 separate entities and cannot be run at the same time. They look a lot alike but have some signifcant differences. You can bring a Combi into Sequencer mode by holding the Enter button & then pressing the Write button.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you new to Korg workstations? If so, you have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you. Try using the operations guide. It has some procedures to help get you headed in the right direction.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the use of more than one combi into the sequencer.
As you already know : a combi is made with more than one program.
Si if, as an exemple, the first combi you want to use into the sequencer, contains 5 programs, this first combi will use already 5 channels and some effects too.
So, and not just in theory, you can add another combi at the channel 6, and, if this second combi contains (as an exemple) 4 programs, you will see the channels 6, 7, 8, and 9 occupied by this second combi.

I have effectively been able to use 2 different combi into the sequencer but remember that there are other paramaters that can make that diificult. If for exemple the different combis needs too many differents effects.

But in practice, if the combis are not too large you can effectively use more than 1 combi in a sequencer song.
Take care ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Concerning the use of more than one combi into the sequencer.
As you already know : a combi is made with more than one program.
Si if, as an exemple, the first combi you want to use into the sequencer, contains 5 programs, this first combi will use already 5 channels and some effects too.
So, and not just in theory, you can add another combi at the channel 6, and, if this second combi contains (as an exemple) 4 programs, you will see the channels 6, 7, 8, and 9 occupied by this second combi.

I have effectively been able to use 2 different combi into the sequencer but remember that there are other paramaters that can make that diificult. If for exemple the different combis needs too many differents effects.

But in practice, if the combis are not too large you can effectively use more than 1 combi in a sequencer song.
Take care ! Very Happy

I am able to get one Combi into Seq mode using Enter & Rec/Write. If I do the same with another Combi it creates a new song and keeps the first one. How do you get the 2nd Combi into the 1st song. I tried Copy From Song in the Page Menu Commands but that overwrote the Tracks in the 1st song. A manual reference will work for me. Thanks.

BTW, to avoid confusion in The Korg world the term-
Channels are reserved for MIDI
Timbres are reserved for Combinations and
Tracks are reserved for Sequencing
Hector Space

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s being said here is that you can add the contents of a second or third combi to the first manually, provided there are enough spare timbre slots in the first combi and enough ifx slots available to configure the additions. As you have up to 16 timbre slots in a combi this is quite a reasonable approach but it is not as simple as just running multiple combis nor should it be because combi level should really be considered as system level and as such combines resources in complex ways from all angles of the Kronos which is why the Kronos system doesn’t directly support running multiple combis.

Over the years I’ve heard many similar concerns voiced on a range of top end keyboards. The Kurzweil Forte is a classic example where people try to combine factory programs together into a multi (the Kurzweil Forte equivalent of a combi) only to run out of resources. The usual complaint is the sounds in the combi don't sound as good as the original program. But of course it’s a matter of learning. 99% of the problems are caused by a failure to understand the effects needed and simply copying them over is just duplicated over kill.

Really you need to adjust your understanding of the Kronos structure and build your designs to take advantage of what it can do. Simplistic comparisons to other manufacturers keyboards miss the depth and power available in the Kronos. But maybe simple is exactly why people buy Fantoms and Nords.

Nothing great happens without a good deal of work.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Hector. I was addressing KronoSpere's assertion that two Combis can be combined in a Song. Since a Combi can be migrated into the Sequencer I was thinking there might be something I missed about a Kronos shortcut. I am sure migrating multiple Combis into a Song would be a nightmare.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, you can say that the Seq mode is equivalent to a Combi. It holds up to 16 program sounds , Effect settings etc. You can control both internal and external sound sources (midi). Seq mode also holds full 16ch daw recording beside the internal and external midi parts.

If you run out of resources in a song, you can downmix channels to audio channels and add a new "combi" or 16 program tracks.
muzikalgeeneeyus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great,

Thanks to you all for helping me understand more about the Kronos and its architecture.

Its most appreciated Very Happy
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ron,
If I quite remember well, that some years ago I succeeded (manually &with a lot of difficulties) to put 2 different combi in a single sequencer song, I must admit that I absolutely don't remember how I did it and in what song it was.
Maybe I was drunk ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Hello Ron,
If I quite remember well, that some years ago I succeeded (manually &with a lot of difficulties) to put 2 different combi in a single sequencer song, I must admit that I absolutely don't remember how I did it and in what song it was.
Maybe I was drunk ! Very Happy

Ah! The wonders of alcohol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: