Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI in and out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deemac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: MIDI in and out Reply with quote

Newbie here! I have a Kronos 2 73 key connected via MIDI to a Protools digi 002 surface (MIDI Out to In cable and back again) which is connected via firewire to my windows 10 PC. I'm using PreSonus studio one V3.5. I can get the Kronos to record MIDI to Studio One but it doesn't play back anything to the Kronos. (This was alos the case with the Protools software - V9) I know this is really dumb! What am I doing wrong? How do I get the Kronos to play / receive back recorded MIDI?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Studio One user. In Studio One, you'd want to set the Kronos up as a MIDI "device" instead of (or in addition to) setting it up as a MIDI "keyboard". This will let you specify both the MIDI input and output ports. As opposed to a MIDI keyboard only lets you specify an input port.

Then in the track where you're recording the MIDI, there will be a second drop down underneath the one that lets you select the MIDI input device that lets you optionally pick a MIDI output device. You might need to make the track bigger vertically to be able to see that additional drop down.

Hopefully that's clear. If not I can try to attach some screen shots.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not in front of the computer when I wrote this. The correct terminology is "instrument" rather than device.

What works well for me is one "keyboard" with the MIDI IN port set to "KRONOS KEYBOARD", and one "instrument" with the MIDI OUT set to "KRONOS SOUND". You can then set the input and output dropdowns in an instrument track to each of them, respectively, and record MIDI, and play it back through the Kronos.
Deemac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer, thank you very much.

After LOTS of experimenting based on your valuable knowledge I have at last got Studio One to receive MIDI data and the Kronos to receive it back on playback. WOW a revalation!!

A little history about myself - I started well over 30 years ago with a Roland SH101, closely followed with a Roland JX-3P then onto an Ensoniq ESQ1 where I cut my first MIDI sequencing teeth (to a Simmons SDS9 module). I did run my own recording studio using a Protools system but it has been 10 years since I've taken up the music bug again. I bought the Korg Kronos 2 73 key late last year. (what a stunner of a machine)

I am completely staggered that in 2018 it is such a pain to get some up to date DAW software, a modern windows 10 PC and a leading edge powerful synth to speak to each other over MIDI. I was tearing my hair out (the little I have left!) with frustration!!

Anyway a STEEP learning curve and realisation that in over 30 years we have not progressed much at all, though the sounds now are vastly superior Smile
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad you got it working, Deemac!

Yeah, getting these things set up is still a pain sometimes. I think it actually has gotten easier, but at the same time, the software and hardware has gotten so much more deep and complex. Studio One and the K2 are both absolute beasts with a mountain of connection and customization options.

The good news is, once you get it set up, you're pretty well set. Stability has improved a lot in the last 10 years. I started in with digital audio recording sometime during the mid 90s. I remember then I had to save my work about every 2 minutes or I would be pretty likely to lose it to a crash. Today I hardly even think about it. It's rock solid. And like you say, the sounds!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: