Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring EXs Collections
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivionash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Transferring EXs Collections Reply with quote

I have a Kronos 61 with EXs 17 and EXs 18 Collections installed by a previous owner. Now I have a new Kronos 73. Is it possible to transfer the collection form the one Kronos to the other one?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring EXs Collections Reply with quote

ivionash wrote:
I have a Kronos 61 with EXs 17 and EXs 18 Collections installed by a previous owner. Now I have a new Kronos 73. Is it possible to transfer the collection form the one Kronos to the other one?

/

Last edited by GregC on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Korg customer service. They allowed me to transfer between machines recently.
ivionash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
Ask Korg customer service. They allowed me to transfer between machines recently.

Ok, Thanks! What is the procedure to transfer it? Do I need to obtain a license from Korg?
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They generated new authorization numbers based on the ID of my newer Kronos. I just had to grab the samples and type in the codes on the options menu.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:

That is good to know. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy my Kronos2; I can't believe that they are now allowing folks
to transfer exi's at this stage. It is something that people have been lamenting for years. Also, I just sold my older Kronos and loved the mellotron sounds by Karo, as well as, the Legendary Strings. However, it did not even cross my mind that I could have saved them with a phone call.

If they are now allowing transfers, wow, I lost out big time. Smile Smile Smile
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only know that they did it for me when my instrument failed. I am not sure that it is a general policy change.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
to transfer exi's at this stage. It is something that people have been lamenting for years. Also, I just sold my older Kronos and loved the mellotron sounds by Karo, as well as, the Legendary Strings. However, it did not even cross my mind that I could have saved them with a phone call.

it seems they are allowing the free transfers for certain exceptions.

Like a failed K. I recall maybe 2 or 3 exceptions discussed in the past 7 years.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:

I think the problem here would be - is it possible to de-authorize EXIs when the Kronos is sold? If so, how can Korg verify that?

If a Kronos has failed, the EXIs would obviously no longer be useable.
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transferring EXs Collections Reply with quote

ivionash wrote:

Apparently the previous owner of your Kronos 61 purchased the "New KRONOS Sound Pack" containing EXs17 and EXs18. That's nice. Your new Kronos 73 should already have those, no? I thought all new Kronos came with the Berlin piano (EXs17)?
ivionash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transferring EXs Collections Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
ivionash wrote:

Apparently the previous owner of your Kronos 61 purchased the "New KRONOS Sound Pack" containing EXs17 and EXs18. That's nice. Your new Kronos 73 should already have those, no? I thought all new Kronos came with the Berlin piano (EXs17)?

Yes! You are absolutely right! I figured it out only yesterday when I received the new Kronos. The both options were there! I saw them under the option section so I decided by mistake that the options were installed by the previous owner. Thanks to everyone!
Musicadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I actually have the same question.

Is there an official stance on this from Korg? This seems important enough to have an official procedure available.

I mean, why would they not allow a transfer in the first place? After all, you paid for those samples.

Take this for example: you bought a Kronos / Kronos X, invested a few hundred bucks in 3rd party sounds, which were then authorized to that specific Kronos.

Now, you want to get the Kronos 2. How do you transfer your sounds?

I suppose you would write Korg and get a new key, but then how would they prevent the same sounds being authorized on both Kronos's? .)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicadi wrote:
Hi there,

Is there an official stance on this from Korg? This seems important enough to have an official procedure available.

I mean, why would they not allow a transfer in the first place? After all, you paid for those samples.

Take this for example: you bought a Kronos / Kronos X, invested a few hundred bucks in 3rd party sounds, which were then authorized to that specific Kronos.

I suppose you would write Korg and get a new key, but then how would they prevent the same sounds being authorized on both Kronos's? .)

the official policy is stated in the software license agreement when you purchase the 3rd party sample lib. It might be called user agreement or something else but that is simple semantics. Its the usual software boiler plate language.

What you want is not covered, therefore its outside the legal agreement.

The agreement or user license is strict, limited, not user friendly, not similar to other software cos who offer 2 or 3 'seats' on a software purchase. This has been pointed out +100 times over 5-6 years on this forum.

And the legal agreement or rules have not changed .

Have there been a few exceptions over the past 6 years ? Yes. Thats been reported. But an exception does not prove a change in policy of limited distribution.

Is your request reasonable ? Absolutely.

Can you write to Korg product support and make your case ? Sure, I would test the policy for an exception. But don't hold your breath.

Let us know what Korg says

Thanks
Musicadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Musicadi wrote:
Hi there,

the official policy is stated in the software license agreement when you purchase the 3rd party sample lib. It might be called user agreement or something else but that is simple semantics. Its the usual software boiler plate language.

What you want is not covered, therefore its outside the legal agreement.

The agreement or user license is strict, limited, not user friendly, not similar to other software cos who offer 2 or 3 'seats' on a software purchase. This has been pointed out +100 times over 5-6 years on this forum.

And the legal agreement or rules have not changed .

Have there been a few exceptions over the past 6 years ? Yes. Thats been reported. But an exception does not prove a change in policy of limited distribution.

Is your request reasonable ? Absolutely.

Can you write to Korg product support and make your case ? Sure, I would test the policy for an exception. But don't hold your breath.

Let us know what Korg says

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your answer! Wow, that's a pretty "stupid" license agreement then imo.... I wonder how people actually bought the sounds... .oh, I know: cause no one ever reads the "small letters" Smile

I actually do understand Korg's reason for keeping this "tight", to avoid any chance of piracy. I think they haven't thought about the "side effects" though. That's actually preventing their own customers from buying new gear Smile (of course, this is only a side-effect if the new gear would be a Korg)

For example, a friend of mine invested about 1000 USD in EXs's. You can imagine that, if he decides to sell his Kronos and get a new one, no one on Earth would pay him the extra bucks for the sounds Smile... he said it's not worth selling it.

I'm in a somehow "better" situation. Just got me a used X88 and there are 3 installed EXs's. Now, I would rather "downgrade" to an X73 but I would like to keep one EXs, it just sounds amazing. Maybe I would even buy a new Kronos 2 73, but not being able to smoothly transfer the EXs's worth about 500 USD makes me think twice.

I'll just write Korg, see what they say.

Have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: