Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X OR GENOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: PA4X OR GENOS Reply with quote

I need some help deciding on my first arranger keyboard i love the looks and sounds of the new Genos but for those that have a pa4x what do you guys think of it, sound wise like do they have realistic sounds to equal that of Yamaha, i am a Korg user so i need input, i know $$$ wise the pa4x seems like the better choice, but i want something i will have as an investment.

Last edited by jbeliz on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way is to spend some time with both keyboards side by side if possible....how you personally feel is what matters ... it's a bit like me asking (I'm a man) which of these two nice ladies
should I marry and of course only i can awaser that ...so it has to come down too how each board makes you feel Wink

Last edited by D575 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys like the Korg PA4X as a one man band unit, is it good enough,
in your opinion.
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Boards are high end but the "Professionals" tend to choose the PA4X.....
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in your opinion.

PA4X is right up there with your Kronos in terms of quality and workstation features, so, YES, it's way beyond "good enough".
There are many arranger keyboards available that are suitable as a "one-man-band" - the PA4X is a professional top-of-the-line workstation like the Kronos and is designed as an arranger. You can get VERY deep (technically) into the PA4X (e.g. sound editing, style editing, sequencing etc etc). If you are just wanting nice backing accompaniments to go with what you already have then maybe the PA4X (and Genos) is a big overkill.

For me personally, there is no choice to be made between PA4X and Genos - I find the Genos (reading the manuals and having owned Tyros) to be just another Tyros - I was very frustrated with my Tyros when it came to performing and recording - Yamaha have not changed much of the OS in that regard in the Genos. However Genos is a nice keyboard but doesn't sit in the professional (performance) category - these are just my personal views but as suggested above, go try them out but also consider the PA700/1000 if you don't need all the bells and whistles.
Consider also things like the vocal harmoniser features on the PA4X - they don't get much better (TC Helicon built in!!!)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
in your opinion.

PA4X is right up there with your Kronos in terms of quality and workstation features, so, YES, it's way beyond "good enough".
There are many arranger keyboards available that are suitable as a "one-man-band" - the PA4X is a professional top-of-the-line workstation like the Kronos and is designed as an arranger. You can get VERY deep (technically) into the PA4X (e.g. sound editing, style editing, sequencing etc etc). If you are just wanting nice backing accompaniments to go with what you already have then maybe the PA4X (and Genos) is a big overkill.

For me personally, there is no choice to be made between PA4X and Genos - I find the Genos (reading the manuals and having owned Tyros) to be just another Tyros - I was very frustrated with my Tyros when it came to performing and recording - Yamaha have not changed much of the OS in that regard in the Genos. However Genos is a nice keyboard but doesn't sit in the professional (performance) category - these are just my personal views but as suggested above, go try them out but also consider the PA700/1000 if you don't need all the bells and whistles.
Consider also things like the vocal harmoniser features on the PA4X - they don't get much better (TC Helicon built in!!!)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Well said,
Agree with all accurate statement that Pete mentioned about both Korg Pa4X and Yamaha Genos.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i just want to make sure i get something that will be good for live performing a friend of mine has a Tyros and it sounded really good even in live performance the sounds sound amazingly real. If the PA4X is up there with Tyros without spending a fortune i think i will try it out. To me the pa700 and pa1000 look a little to toyish for me construction wise.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyboard wrote:
Both Boards are high end but the "Professionals" tend to choose the PA4X.....
Aside from my first middle of the road advice earlier.....I do agree with Pete and the above comment...although Yamaha has a strong sound engine I would not consider the Genos as "Professional" if you are going out doing live work you will need to add a pasive Di box to Genos as Yamaha forgot to put balanced out-puts in Genos which is perplexing as I would expect Genos to have this feature (considering the pirce) which the PAX4 has...and on the PSR forum there has already been problems concerning this over site by yamaha....but....still study both keyboard manuals, spend time playing them to understand the pros and cons of both instruments as you pick your weapon of choice and should the PA4X win the day, then you are in the right place for any help where you find deep and very helpful knowledge here at the PA4X forum, should you need it ....good luck with your purchase and take some time to decide so you get this right for you ...all the best.
export-B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that there is no comment in English. It's by far the best test of both keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-aaqwrsfc
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I found that video totally meaningless.
It would be better to compare the two in terms of features and performability.
Sounds are too subjective plus you are never told how EQ and DSP is set nor what the keyboards are "played through" and recorded by.

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
export-B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking about it. He says that if we search for individual sounds, then it is better to buy some other keyboards (Kronos, Montage ...). He speaks primarily about the possibilities and differences in the systems. Korg is an open system, and Yamaha is a closed system. It uses an identical sample and for zero EQ settings.
I personally know very well both systems and I preferred to choose PA4X. Why? Precisely because of the enormous possibilities of editing elements. I wrote from the beginning that the review is unfortunately in the Serbian language, which many do not understand.

Cheers

Boris
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: PA4X OR GENOS Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
I need some help deciding on my first arranger keyboard i love the looks and sounds of the new Genos but for those that have a pa4x what do you guys think of it, sound wise like do they have realistic sounds to equal that of Yamaha, i am a Korg user so i need input, i know $$$ wise the pa4x seems like the better choice, but i want something i will have as an investment.

Well, if you want it as an investment i doubt that the keyboard market is a good idea at the moment. For instance, the Genos already is more then 1000 ! euro's cheaper then the introduction price over here in holland in just a few months. I just checked and if i buy it today the price will be 3532 euro instead of the release price of 4700 euro's.

The same applies to the Pa4x 76 Paas that i bought, i bought it for 4300 euro, the price now is: 3749 euro, also a significant pricedrop in just a few months,

So as an investment i would say, buy something different Very Happy

But if you are in the market for a keyboard and i look at your gear list, then an obvious choice would be the Genos, to add different kind of sounds to your korg based studio setup. But be prepared, the Genos is more or less a closed system, without the possibility to change / program your own sounds / styles. There is a program called Yem which adds a couple of those possibilities, but that's nothing compared to the open structure of the Korg Pa4x. I really like the Yamaha Genos, especially the Touch screen and interface is more modern then the Pa4x. Also the styles (most of them are the same as the tyros 5 styles) are good and the sound quality is also really good. But i prefer the Korg Pa4x, due to the open character and because it's so easy to program your own sounds and styles on it, the possibilities seems endless.

Things like the very powerful synthesizer, the chord sequencer, the KAOS effect, the songbook / setlist and the free styles (bonusware), where the latest vol. 29 shows how modern the Pa4x can sound, makes it a fantastic keyboard for me. The sounds and songs that i have running on the pa4x at the moment can rival the korg kronos sound which i never expected when i bought the pa4x.

But i think the main choice would be, the sound / style taste you have and if you want to modify the styles / sounds or not, just try both keyboards in the store and then you will instantly know what appeal to you most.
Bernie9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good and honest appraisal, to be sure.
Hammond SK1
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input i wish the music stores would have both these models to try out, they are impossible to compare when no one has them both in stock. I guess i will decide in a few days. I really like the sound realism in the Genos, if PA4X has this quality of sounds then it would be obvious what i would choose.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Thanks for the input i wish the music stores would have both these models to try out, they are impossible to compare when no one has them both in stock. I guess i will decide in a few days. I really like the sound realism in the Genos, if PA4X has this quality of sounds then it would be obvious what i would choose.
Just as a side note....if you are use to the Kronos keybed sizing which is the same as the PA4X (length and width of each key) you may find that the Yamaha keybed sizing (which is smaller than the PA4X) may not suit you, i have a Montage which I believe is the same sizing as the Genos and it can feel a little odd after the korg... if you look up the article for the montage review in "Sound On Sound" magazine this topic is discussed at length and I have to agree with the journalist conclusion......the korg keybed sizing for me (this is just my personal opinion and may vary from person to person) feels much better as regards to the spacing and touch...but this may not bother you but worth a mention all the same + the yamaha is a lighter touch all round than the korg ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: