Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2: How many have installed second SSDs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2: How many have installed second SSDs? Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
I was wondering how many Kronos 2 owners here have installed second SSDs? Does anyone know what the largest SSD that's compatible?

I have finally added a 2nd SSD, to my 7 yr old Kronos 88, an inexpensive Kingston , 120 Gig.

I don't have any plans to try to convert other sounds such as Omnisphere or Keyscape to my K for instant access. I have an AI and MBP to handle all that processing and variety and audio output.

I don't consider myself much of a DIY type. There is very little room to install or maneuver the 2nd SSD inside the K. The factory power cable ( the extra) for the SSD is quite short and just barely reaches a 2nd SSD. Plus the existing SSD SATA just barely stretches to reach the Zero Port inside. Since I have an 88, the 24" SATA cable was a necessity.

These were most of the challenges. Its great to have extra storage to work with.
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that detail, Greg! As soon as I get more familiar with my Kronos I hope to better exploit the Kronos' SSD and investigate adding a second one. I was sort of thinking of putting some of my favorite patches from my UVI Synth Anthology plug-in into SSD_01 someday.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

studio460

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2: How many have installed second SSDs? Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:
Would an external Flash Thumb Drive accomplish the same thing as adding an internal drive,
or does an additional internal drive do more than an external one ?

It's not a subject of internal or external media , but a matter of communication port with CPU !
Sata 2 ports of mobo , except high speed they can support continuous raw data that streaming from disk requires and
this is impossible via low speed packet protocol of USB2 communication port.
Besides that , any media connected at USB 2 port , can be used only to load into Ram any external custom samples
library , even pre-loading KSC files from there at start-up (if media is connected) and if required free Ram is enough
for direct loading with Pleload.KSC contents and of course you can use it for any kind of media storage like internal
SSD but with the nominal USB 2 speed protocol !

Hope this helps

Thanks for that explanation, Antony!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
Thanks for posting that detail, Greg! As soon as I get more familiar with my Kronos I hope to better exploit the Kronos' SSD and investigate adding a second one. I was sort of thinking of putting some of my favorite patches from my UVI Synth Anthology plug-in into SSD_01 someday.

I mentioned the issue with 'very short' connectors and cables inside my K88. A Kronos friend suggested swapping out the factory SATA cable and power connectors (for the SSD's) . Of course, one would have to be prepared and have the exact supplies.

Another factor is removing the ' fasteners ' that tied down the various cables. Once again, little to no room to work in. A magnetic screw driver might be a
help in capturing/controlling the tiny screws. But I have a serious question about using anything magnetic around the SSD's that have data. Maybe someone more technical can address that.

I am not sure the SSD videos on youTube fully capture the challenges I had.

Conceptually, it is a basic task to add the 2nd SSD. The reality is that planning, patience, time, determination is required to actually perform the work.

Another consideration, at least with my 7 yr old K, was the tendency of some keybeds would ' shift ' when being operated on ( tipped upside down ) .

To prevent any such problem I inserted the keyboard cardboard ' shivs' which came with my K when I bought it new. IOW, Korg did not seem to fully secure they heavy keybeds in the chassis, was the assumption. I think this was a very early problem with K's as no one has complained about it for some years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: