Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma generate 4 measures of controller data?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Karma generate 4 measures of controller data? Reply with quote

I set up a combi with 3 patches I wrote that each have parameters that need to be controlled simultaneously that also all go through an IFX that needs wet/dry controlled at the same time. For testing, I used foot pedal and it behaves exactly as I would like it to.

Here's the catch, I need essentially for the foot pedal to go from 0 to 100% over a period of 4 measures all while I'm playing and definitely need to use the sustain pedal. I play standing so I'd rather not try using sustain with one foot and swell pedal with the other while balancing on my heels and trying to play.

My first thought was RPPR - I can do controller data for 4 measures, assign it to a note, tap tempo to make sure time is right, ready to go. Timing's not critical since it's a sweep over 4 measures and nothing is timing-critical. But this band uses no sequences and I'd rather not have to preload .sng files because I'm afraid I'll forget, get to the song (which I start) and my patch won't be there because I forgot to load the file.

SO I thought maybe this would be a good Karma application. It doesn't have to be foot pedal, I can use any CC data that is available to assign within programs and IFX. Everything it needs to control is on the global channel (1). I would prefer to use something like an EG with an exponential attack (linear puts too much of the effect up front).

Someone suggested I buy a case of red bull and lock myself in a room overnight with the Kronos and the manual. Before I do that, can someone confirm that what I want to do is possible with Karma, and any tips would be very helpful (like which module to start with, etc.)
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering what happens when you record your CC data into an RPPR pattern and then convert that to Drumtrack User pattern. Then set drum track to the midi channel that lets it transmit its stuff on the same channel that your combi patches play on. Then run drum track without any midi note pattern data, just CC data. ?
Does the RPPR ability to record and play back automation style CC Data carry over when you convert the pattern(4 measures of it) to drum track and then trigger it without latch -using a note or maybe assigned control -if drum track has the right option of triggers for you?

This is just an idea based on the assumption that RPPR utility for automating control data will carry over if the midi pattern is converted to a drum track.

Correct me if you try this and find i am wrong. I have been wondering about this and have never gotten into a project that would require i put time into trying it out.

Step sequencer as AMS over your parameters may be able to do it if you have Step sequencer on the AMS option lists, including FX page AMS list. But then there is the issue of triggering Step sequencer to run only when needed and not to run when not needed. I don’t recall ever working that part out when i went through step sequencer features. It has AMS for start step and also AMS for reset but seems a chance that it may not work for your application or possibly too confusing for me to know for sure.

I am not sure how Karma can do it, i don’t know where in Karma you can record in the specific CC data to be played by the GE. Maybe Karma software is more flexible. Maybe there is a category of Karma GE with CC control in there? CC GE-category? Maybe will need some of the 32 parameters adjusted to dial in on just the one part you want and then assign the same CC to your parameter AMS? I know trigger page lets you dial the phrase length %percentage down to size as fits your needs.
Still just speculating here because i am not sure what all the GE’s have in there waiting to be found. There is a CC category of GE’s. I kmow that much.

All kinds of CC assignments happen in Karma but i don’t know how the GE would get the specific CC data into its pattern to then run it like automation as you want it to. You may be stuck with just control assignment options in Karma.
Don’t take my word on this, there just may be a way in Karma and with software version.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible to use one of the AMS mixers and, as the trigger for the volume swell, use Switch A or B in toggle mode, or possibly even a pedal, as the AMS Mixer input and use "Smoothing" as the AMS Mixer type. The Attack and Decay parameters for the Smoothing should have sufficient adjustment to give the necessary 4 bar duration, and it is also possible to change the shape of the smoothing curve. The output of the AMS mixer can then be used to modulate an Amp effect e.g. Limiter or Compressor, to produce the volume swell effect.

With this approach, the pedal used could be the Expression pedal, or the Assignable Switch input. If the Expression pedal was used, it could then be "slammed" from min to max and the smoothing would take care of the gradual volume increase.
ksi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Karma generate 4 measures of controller data? Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
SO I thought maybe this would be a good Karma application. It doesn't have to be foot pedal, I can use any CC data that is available to assign within programs and IFX. Everything it needs to control is on the global channel (1). I would prefer to use something like an EG with an exponential attack (linear puts too much of the effect up front).

Have you looked at the available preset GEs of KARMA within the voice name list?

Maybe GE number 2013: CC83 alternator can do what you want, or try one of the other preset GEs from Category: CC. The voice name list provides an overview on what CCs each GE has under control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: