Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos midi issues with OSX High Sierra?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Kronos midi issues with OSX High Sierra? Reply with quote

USB audio through Kronos 2 is working great now!
But now I'm no longer able to get my MacBook Pro to recognize Kronos' midi port. In OSX Audio/Midi Setup the Kronos icon is grayed out. Re-started the Mac... Same problem. So I deleted the Kronos icon from the Audio/Midi Setup's Midi Studio view, and re-started the Mac again... Hoping that it would detect the Kronos and bring a live icon back. Nope. Not detected at all... But the Kronos USB Audio port still works perfectly.
Is anyone else seeing this?
bobmusic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago Korg released a new USB-MIDI driver, you tried that already?

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/0/424/1357/
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that! Thanks for the heads-up!
I guess Korg is scrambling to keep up with the Apple updates... After Apple dragged their feet so long before fixing the USB audio problem.
I'll try downloading the Korg driver update tonight.
I thought I would get rid of the computer for gigging, but I find that I am missing my Omnisphere sounds, so I'm thinking about bringing it back.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange to have midi problems when the usb audio works.....usually it's the other way 'round.

Try the following...

Open Show midi Studio,then click the Kronos icon and tick the This Device Is Online box...if it's not already ticked.

Another cable.

A different usb port on the mac.

Boot the mac before the Kronos.

Uninstall the Korg midi driver.
(You can always re-install it later,if required).

Best Wishes.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted the Kronos icon from Midi Studio view, thinking it would come back after I restarted/reconnected everything. It didn't.

So I trashed KorgUSBMIDIDriver.plugin from /Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Midi Drivers/

Downloaded and installed Korg USB-MIDI Driver for Mac OS X Version 1.2.3 (Universal), then restarted the MBP.

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

Connected Kronos2 (KRONOS 3.1.2) port B using a different Midi cable to a different port on the MBP. It had previously been connected to a USB 3 Powered hub. I changed it to the MPB's built-in USB 2 port.

Booted Kronos. Checked MBP Audio Midi Setup and found no Kronos icon in the Midi Studio view, but once again the "KRONOS 2 Ins / 2 Outs" is there in Audio Devices, and it works perfectly.

I'm searching for something on Kronos' Global pages where I might have un-knowingly disabled USB Midi output, but I don't see anything.

I can plug another keyboard (Motif ES8) into any USB port on the MPB and it is detected and works perfectly. The MPB just refuses to recognize the Kronos as a Midi device.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be better to remove the Korg midi driver....then install it later,if required.
Make sure it's not in the User/Library/Audio/midi drivers as well as the main Lbrary folder (sometimes they can be in both).

You could try using the IAC driver (found in the Show midi Studio window) and make it active.
Not sure if this would work at this stage, though.

(Have the Kronos off while doing any of the following settings).

Consider doing a Mac re-set…(PRAM) there are guides to be found for this.

As a last resort, re-install the os, preferably from recovery, or as a drastic move do a full install.
(This can be done over the top...without reformatting the drive etc).

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
It may be better to remove the Korg midi driver....

That did it! I trashed the KorgUSBMIDIDriver.plugin file again, and reconnected Kronos. Now Kronos is detected as both USB Audio and Midi devices, and so far is working perfectly.

I learned pretty quickly that I also needed to change the Audio settings to 48K, else the soft synths all play a little over a half-step flat! That can be a little jarring. Very Happy

Thanks Pedro!
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news.
Pleased you've got it sorted.

Must admit it got me stumped for a while,usually the problems are with the usb audio rather than midi.
However,the midi driver can cause problems for some and the only cure is to remove it. Wink
(The downside to this is that the Kronos editor will need it installed....that is if you wish to use the editor in the future).

By the way...
How are you getting on with High Sierra regarding audio recording ?
So far,it's working fine for me and it may be the best updated os to date for those who have had problems.

Time to play music,then...

Best Wishes.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t done much in the way of audio recording on the Mac (or Kronos) yet. I’ve been more focused on getting a simplified and reliable gigging rig going.
I used to use a rack with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 to get all the sounds from the Mac and a Motif ES Rack, using two midi keyboard controllers, and driving it all with Mainstage on the Mac.

I bought the Kronos2-61 to use either standalone or along with a Studiologic SL88-Studio, so I wouldn’t need to haul around the rack and computer anymore. That is working, with a few minor hiccups as I learn to use Kronos as the brains of the operation.

But after Apple released High Sierra with the fix for Kronos USB Audio, I couldn’t resist fiddling with it. I found right away that the Mac’s audio performance through Kronos is much better than I was getting with the Focusrite. Demanding soft synth patches like some in Keyscape that weren’t solid enough for gigging with the Focusrite are playing flawlessly through Kronos. So I’m considering bringing the Mac back into the gigging rig. Problem now is that it introduces a bewildering number of possibilities... for example, now I’ve got no less than 6 genuinely awesome grand pianos to choose from. Do I use Kronos super-flexible organs? Or Mainstage’s lovely Vintage B3 plugin? Kontakt Horns or EXs 16 Funk and Soul Brass? And ethereal pads? How do you choose between Kronos and Omnisphere?

I think I’m going to have to force myself to keep the computer disconnected for a while so I can get a deep working knowledge of Kronos. Too many options and I find myself paralyzed.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the interesting info.

Pleased you're finding that High Sierra has improved things.

I also have Mainstage,mainly for its voices and the arps that are available....good fun to play with.
As I'm just a basic hobbyist player (?) Mainstage isn't being used to its full potential,as per design,however, it's a great app considering its purchase price.

Can understand that you're spoiled for choice regarding availble sound sources....a tough decision between several options for sure.
It seems to be a good plan to concentrete on one thing at a time without being distracted by other "temptations"...

The Kronos will no doubt take time to get anywhere near having a better understanding.....I've had mine for well over 5 years and haven't explored many of its onboard sounds,nor the sampler etc.

Good Luck with all that you do.

Best Wishes.
Musicadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also having problems with the midi driver not working in High Sierra.

Using latest driver (1.2.3 r14)

USB audio works, but the Kronos MIDI interface isn't being recognized, unless I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in.

It works for a while and the gets greyed out again as soon as I close and reopen the Audio-Midi application in macOS.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicadi wrote:
Hi,

I'm also having problems with the midi driver not working in High Sierra.

Using latest driver (1.2.3 r14)

USB audio works, but the Kronos MIDI interface isn't being recognized, unless I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in.

It works for a while and the gets greyed out again as soon as I close and reopen the Audio-Midi application in macOS.

There is a volume of inconsistency with interfacing Kronos USB, successfully, directly to High Sierra.

I gave up the struggle and bought an audio interface last November. It was an excellent investment.
Musicadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can definitely reproduce this regularly.

It seems that the Kronos midi device gets inactivated as soon as the application using it is closed.

In this case, it is only activated again when removing the USB cable and plugging it back in.

You can test this with following steps:
- open macOS Midi Studio
- if Kronos midi device is greyed out, remove then reinsert the USB cable
- Kronos midi device is activated
- now close Midi Studio
- reopen Midi Studio
- Kronos mdi device is again greyed out (remove and reinsert the USB cable and it gets activated)

Same thing when using Logic Pro X for example
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried removing the Korg midi driver,as suggested in previous posts ?

I'm lucky that everything works with High Sierra....with or without the driver.
So,if removing it doesn't work,try re-installing it again....??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: