Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling another keyboard sound to kronos.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxibrady1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Sampling another keyboard sound to kronos. Reply with quote

Hi if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.
I have a Korg M1 that I'm using . On my gig I only use 3 sounds from it
most of gig is done with my Kronos.
Here's what I'm looking to do.
Ive just bought a new moxf6 to go under my Kronos so Im putting my
M1 away. I have 3 sounds I would love to get from the m1 to the K.
As I can't find a way to convert these .sysex files to pcg I'll need to sample them to k.
I have a fair idea how to set this up and get m1 to sound tru sampling
Page But I'm lost after that. Do I sample each note ..? How do I save it so the m1 sound can be recalled on set list mode.
Hope I explained myself correctly
Can anyone help me please.😭😭
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the M1 soundsources are already in the Kronos, so the sounds could probably be recreated in the Kronos. Which three sounds are they?

maxibrady1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenor sax and brass Combi I made.
Strings and synth brass.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Voip's idea is correct as one solution is you could write down the needed M1 program parameters and reproduce them in the K using the same waveforms and similar values, etc.

Another way is as you mention to simply sample the sound. For brass, I would sample one key every three notes in the middle section and one every four when you reach the lower and upper ends. Using a waveform editor, it is actually easy to find out where the original sampled keys were taken and spread for a few keys each, as their visual characteristics will look similar until another one is used, which will look rather different. You can also figure this out listening to the loops.

For saxophone, you might go more with samples every two keys in the center and less going closer to the keyboard extremities, since the quality of the samples in the M1 were not so extraordinary compared to nowadays synths.

So once you sampled your keys for each sound (3 to 4 seconds each is way enough for a synth like the M1), spread them on the K keys as sampled, then use crossfade looping for near to imperceptible loops. You can use a software for this or the K's internal utilities. Read the parameter guide - all the info is there.

From there, save the sample data as a program. To simplify adjusting the envelope parameters and so on for each sound, a little trick is to check the "Use Destination Program Parameters" option of a similar sound on the Kronos.
maxibrady1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply and time .
But I'm so not technically minded at all in this field.
Do you know of any software that converts .sysex to pcg.?
that really would be the answer.
I've seem somewhere the m1 factory files are downloadable for korg krome .... Why not for Kronos..?
So all I can do is try my best with it. I really appreciate your reply.
Thanks guys.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxibrady1 wrote:
Do you know of any software that converts .sysex to pcg.?

This doesn't exist, but any of the two solutions previously mentioned could bring you to quite satisfactory results.

I personally enjoy to sample in the K, but I've been working with sampling since decades so that is easy for me. The best way to become good and work efficiently is to simply do it. Don't worry if it takes you a long time for the first multisample. You will enjoy your finished product once done.

I did like you last year and resampled all the best programs I had in my older synths before selling them all. Now I have all those in my K2. It's like having all the best options in one incredible machine. And the sounds from my old units sound even better in the K2, because it has such great effects. Even Ensoniq Mirage 8-bit samples can sound great in the Kronos. Cool
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxibrady1 wrote:
Tenor sax and brass Combi I made.
Strings and synth brass.

First of all those sounds you want , are PWM sampled sounds of natural brass & strings in a very limited bandwith
and poor sampling spaces and samples size , according to that age synth features , so by definition the only way
to recreate them is to own the original samples not PCG nor Sysex that concerns only data of oscillators modeling
and not waveforms !

Your best solution is to recreate those brass & strings in Kronos using factory sounds (also loading the non loaded
by default Brass of EXs 2 Bank I think) , in a far better quality and realism than fake M1 sounds , working in similar
workflow as in M1 , building Programs in Combinations.

If you still insist of recreating them precisely , then you have to sample M1 Program sounds separately , brass elements
like Saxes, Trombones,Trumpets and each one of strings programs used in your M1 Combi , without effects & LFOs ,
initially sampling them per semitone (then you will decide what samples to exclude according to original samples pitch shift)
importing them to Kronos , creating multisamples and final samples mapping , then create Programs using MS as OSC ,
recreate OSC LFOs and filtering , save Programs and then you will try to recreate the same Combination sonic result of M1
using the same Programs and proper effects in Kronos Combination interface ...

Resampling the whole M1 combinations , will lead to a complete failure in looping proccedure (since attack of all brass can't
be looped) as consequence the bad sound playability and behavior of effects !
If you think that you need experts to do it for you , then hire a sound developer from here http://wavesart.eu/Hire

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: