Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg SQ-1 Questions - Is the manual missing things?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Korg SQ-1 Questions - Is the manual missing things? Reply with quote

random question. sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere. if it has, i could not find it.

so yeah. i got a sq-1. fun little sequencer. one of the things you can do is hold down the play button when you turn it on, and use the sequencer mode knob to change the resolution of your steps. the manual tells you what the first 3 steps do, but it also appears that the next 5 steps do different things, indicated by the combination of red lights. anyone know if these actually do stuff?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Refer to the tips document here: http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_SQ1_FAQ_Tips.pdf.
The next 3 steps of the knob are again 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 notes. Basically this refers to the MIDI clock the SQ1 is generating.
The difference with the first 3 positions is the number of pulses per step the SQ1 sends via the SYNC out towards e.g. a Volca.

Have fun.
CRJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. so just to clarify, the first 3 steps from the left of the knob do the same thing as the 4th, 5th, and 6th step on the knob? i was reading something somewhere about someone having problems with how the sq1 started sequences or something, and that putting this knob on the 5th or 6th one did something that affected that. does any of this sound familiar? i feel dumb cause i cant find the link where i read that at. thanks for your time so far.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the MIDI clock generated by SQ1
Position 1 and 4: SQ1 sends 1/4 notes
Position 2 and 5: SQ1 sends 1/8 notes
Position 3 and 6: SQ1 sends 1/16 notes

Position 4, 5 and 6 sends the double pulses on the sync out signal than on respectively position 1, 2 and 3.
So e.g. if you sync a Volca sequencer to the SQ1:
Position 1: the Volca will move steps at 1/4 notes (same tempo as the notes sent by the SQ1)
Position 4: the Volca will move steps at 1/8 notes (double tempo as the notes sent by the SQ1)

So the effect of the setting depends a bit on your setup and whether you use the MIDI clock and/or Sync signal to synchronize external gear as well.

The starting of sequences is another issue, I don't think it is affected by this global setting.
CRJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha. this is what i was looking for, and i am a bit new to modular ish sort of stuff. thank you for the info.

now to figure out how to get my moog and my volca fm and my sq1 to make sweet sweet noise Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: