Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help on a guitar sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Help on a guitar sound Reply with quote

I've been trying to replicate or get close to Keith Richard's rhythm guitar sound on Beast of Burden. Any help would be appreciated.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played this Stones song.

If you post a YouTube, it might help folks to hear it and offer some assistance
TopCat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

Thanks for the tip Greg!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopCat wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

Thanks for the tip Greg!

I assume you were hoping to play the guitar part on your Kronos keyboard Smile

I hear at least 3 guitars that are multi tracked. That's a big challenge , I don't believe I could present it.

Matching his guitar tone and style on Kronos is also a challenge. It would take some work to get close to his tone.

Sorry I don't have much to offer. I use to play guitar and stones material back in the days of covered wagons.
TopCat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the listen. I don't feel so bad now that I know someone of your expertise feels challenged by this. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get close.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopCat wrote:
Thanks for the listen. I don't feel so bad now that I know someone of your expertise feels challenged by this. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get close.

Thank you for that. I consider myself average on the ieyboard. I do a few covers, but have passed on many when I analyze them and determine I can't get close.
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jury's still out, but it has a Telecaster/Fender Twin Reverb-ish kind of sound (i.e., treble-ey guitar through a "clean" amp), played with muted chords, perhaps through an MXR Phase 90 pedal (a single-coil Fender Strat would also sound close). Someone claimed he used a 1950's Les Paul Special with single-coil P90 "soap-bar" pick-ups on that year's tour, but who knows what he actually played on the studio tracks.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of posts all over the web from guitarheads speculating as to what gear Keith may have used on this song, but they're only touching the tip of the iceberg. To get close, you probably have to live The Life Of Keith between 1962 and 1977. I'm not being facetious here - it's him, not you! His feel for the guitar is probably too particular to ape.

I can't remember which musician said that there is no point in doing a cover version unless you can do it differently, or better. I think that might be the case with this song, and it may be the way to go for you rather than trying to replicate it. Best of luck with it, though.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WavesArt Guitars Suite contains this Telecaster among others https://youtu.be/lyAL9Ozh-9k?t=3m28s

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
There are plenty of posts all over the web from guitarheads speculating as to what gear Keith may have used on this song, but they're only touching the tip of the iceberg. To get close, you probably have to live The Life Of Keith between 1962 and 1977. I'm not being facetious here - it's him, not you! His feel for the guitar is probably too particular to ape.

I can't remember which musician said that there is no point in doing a cover version unless you can do it differently, or better. I think that might be the case with this song, and it may be the way to go for you rather than trying to replicate it. Best of luck with it, though.

I agree. I understand guitar basics, having played it. I think there is a perception that Kronos or a keyboard can handle most rock guitar types.

I have found it nearly impossible to come close on Kronos, on signature rock guitar parts- I will use " While my Guitar Weeps " as an example. I am referring to the lead guitar part performed by Eric Clapton.

When you listen to Eric's playing style, his unique ability to slide and bend notes,,it seems impossible to do a good job replicating his blues based style and his excellent tone.

And I am not being picky about attaining perfection. I could not even get in the same ball park, to capture this lead guitar part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: