Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which Korg keyboards can accept a Triton Extreme sysex dump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffkluth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: which Korg keyboards can accept a Triton Extreme sysex dump Reply with quote

I love my Korg Triton Extreme (been using Triton for 10 years) but am considering an upgrade. Dont know too much about the M series or Kronos but can anyone recommend a keyboard that is similar in terms of having sampling, arepegiators and more than 8 programs per combination ?

Thanks in advance !
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most similar is Korg M3 but obviously Kronos is the one you should consider if I am correct no vacuum tube as in Triton but everything else is way ahead .
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is what you want. 16 programs per combination but that is limited use based on polyphony. If you plan to keep triton, Kronos and triton can midi sync for even bigger combis and better polyphony per combi.

Arppegiator like Triton does not exist on Kronos. You cannot make custom Arps like Triton allows. But, kronos has Step sequencer in program mode which allows you to make custom arp lines with 64steps but i cannot recall if it allows chords to play in each step. It may be single note per each step. Also AMS is a huge thing in Kronos that you will have to learn how to use to get step sequencer working in any of the many ways it can be used.

Then Kronos has Karma which is a whole new world far from What triton ever did or could do. Karma has thousands of preset patterns/arps/GE that can do base lines, drum beats and chords and then the ways in which it can trigger and do things in ways i cannot adequately explain right off hand. Down side is all the patterns are preset and not open to be custom made, BUT each preset karma pattern/GE can be altered in realtime, altered in so many ways that you will always have the ability to dial in on something that works for just about any thing you can perform. Hard part is dialing in from a hugeHUGE amount of offered possibilities and into a narrow focus.

If you really need a quick simple specific pattern, you can get a computer and buy Karma software to link to Kronos which expands Karma more than two times over and adds the ability to create your own GE patterns/arps and then have all the realtime alteration parameters to re-shape the pattern as it plays in real time.
Karma is even more than all that. You may not miss Triton arp feature.
Sound quality of kronos is superb and then the storage and memory of Kronos 2 or platinum or gold series is unbeaten. Triton Extreme never had half a gb of memory and Kronos has several gb of memory and 60gb of internal SSD storage. Super fast storage on board.

You have all the same modes on Kronos. Program, combi, global, sampling, Disk(Media), Sequencer but Kronos adds Set list mode and Help mode, and a seriously multitasked physical control panel that switches into more than a few modes. Set list mode is a serious advantage and i doubt M3 has it.

Control panel can convert to Karma mode, Timbre/Track mode, Tone adjust mode, and what else am i missing? You can launch the space shuttle from Kronos if you get the right external devices connected and kronos has decent external interface capabilites and external setup recall to memorize various complex configurations for external device interface.

The touch screen interface is a lot nicer to look at and work with and almost everything you do on triton Extreme will easily be found in the same pages on Kronos, the modes are the same, and the combi and Sequencer layout is the same but just expanded and with added features that are not hard to catch up on.

Karma can be hard to learn but is worth it. Set list is easy and enough youtube videos to cover all of it down to the fine details.

Kronos EQ takes sound far beyond what triton extreme does, and also the Kronos FX are an entire mode in themselves where each FX page can have parameters available that make it like working full suite program parameters in some lesser synths.
Routing is another thing with kronos. Everything or almost everything is assignable and even the outputs and inputs can be assigned to a routing scheme based in FX, sampling or Seqencer.

Kronos 16 audio tracks is a huge advantage over triton and the internal memory for sampling is huge. You can sample an entire music album direct to internal storage of over 20gb available space on a fully factory stocked kronos, or sample it direct to external USB stick and play it back from the same USB stick but play back from external USB only while in Disk mode. I sample entire albums off Youtube and go to disk mode external USB to play them back as a personal jukebox or home stereo music collection. I even have my TV rigged to the mixer for home entertainment where i can run the audio through kronos if i want EQ and FX on movie night. I definitely EQ and add FX to old music albums i find online, music from an era when quality sound was not had even at the pro level.

I’m tired now, and have not said enough, so go get a Kronos and find out the rest.

The price you pay is not just the cost but the learning phase which can be fustrating at times. Coming from triton extreme means that you can pick up on kronos with no problem to do all the same things you do on triton. The new features may get in the way, like Karma or routing for FX and bus. Sampling is very similar as well as disk(media) and global. A lot more to global page in Kronos.

Download the “parameter guide” for kronos and look in the back of the book for Midi and sysex stuff. Sysex dump is possible but you may have to sort things out when it gets to kronos. EX Samples and programs are not compatible between the two but you can bring in user samples as wave files or in the other formats that Kronos accepts.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffkluth-

As an add-on thought (and not to necessarily sway you in one direction or the other) but, if you can keep your TEX (especially if you still love that board), by all means- keep her! I still have my Kronos and TEX/Moss combo and they sound ‘great’ together! The TEX has this bite to the sound which I really like that compliments the Kronos. I surely would miss the easily programmable polyphonic twin arpeggiators, as well. Midi and s/pdif-wise, there are tricks/things you could do together creatively/interestingly. Much is to be said obviously in defense of the Kronos by comparison, of course, but together- what a team! Until my TEX dies, I’m still keeping her!! imo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: