Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's KRONOS time for this newbie... But I have a question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: It's KRONOS time for this newbie... But I have a question... Reply with quote

I am sure it has been discussed many times before but I couldn't locate the thread here...

88 vs 73 vs 61 ???

Any pros/cons other than hammer action vs not hammer action and the key numbers?

Price difference is not an issue...
I will play mostly synth sounds and am not a piano guy...
It will be a permanent fixture in my man cave as a hobby piece and not going to gigs of any kind. So weight of the instrument is not an issue either.

I am planning to get a Roland KC400 with whatever Kronos I get... As long as it makes enough noise to suppresses my wife's endless chit chat I'll be happy with it Wink

Also what stand you recommend for a sit down player?

Anything I should be aware of before grabbing a "xx" key model ???
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: It's KRONOS time for this newbie... But I have a questio Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
I am sure it has been discussed many times before but I couldn't locate the thread here...

88 vs 73 vs 61 ???

Any pros/cons other than hammer action vs not hammer action and the key numbers?

Price difference is not an issue...
It will be a permanent fixture in my man cave as a hobby piece and not going to gigs of any kind. So weight of the instrument is not an issue either
I am planning to get a Roland KC400 with whatever Kronos I get... As long as it makes enough noise to suppresses my wife's endless chit chat I'll be happy with it Wink
Also what stand you recommend for a sit down player?
Anything I should be aware of before grabbing a "xx" key model ???

This is your first keyboard essentially. Is what I recall.

So you are prepared for new complexity ?

BTW, that Roland amp is not a good choice for a K, IMO

Is that a guitar center suggestion ?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: It's KRONOS time for this newbie... But I have a questio Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:

I think you answer your own question above here. If you are not a piano guy, you might not like the weighted action and therefore should go ahead with a 61 (even though I am the very opposite and think that the weighted RH3 keyboard is the best, but that's just me).

Also, buy something else that a Roland amp though, as they all add their own (and IMHO quite annoying) coloring/signature to the sound. I would instead go with a true neutral sounding amp or power speaker - Yamaha have some good ones.

You don't want to spoil the great sounds of the Kronos. In my case, I bought an excellent pair of headphones with a flat and therefore not "colored" frequency response. YMMV
nowtime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If space is not an issue I would get the 73 (I presume it is not weighted). More notes at your fingertips and less need of using the octave button.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
If space is not an issue I would get the 73 (I presume it is not weighted). More notes at your fingertips and less need of using the octave button.

No. The k2 73 is weighed. Real hammer action RH3
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61 key is the easiest, but there are things kronos does other than just put basic sound out to every key press.
Kronos zoning goes 16 different ways and if you ever get into extensive multi samples and RPPR performances, then the more keys you have -the better.

If all you do is dabble a bit in everything and use more layers than you do splits, then 61 may be enough. RPPR is great stuff but it automatically uses up around 1 octave for silence keys that make no sound and work as a stop trigger for the keys that do make sounds via the patterns. So as soon as you enter RPPR , 61 keys becomes (61 minus 12) or somewhere around there.

Kronos has the wide array of sounds with unique qualities where some shine more on the higher registers and others at the low and then layering them in Combi, so 88 keys becomes a must for me. I go to some dull sounds and then the top of my 88 is where the particular sound comes alive so i layer that top part into other sounds with dull top parts.

Only way i would do 61 keys on a Kronos ,as was my original plan, is i would pair it with a worthy 88 key controller.

So if you go 61 keys to get you started, you can always get an 88 key controller board and you will have a pick of key feel varieties for soft 88 or hammer action 88. Ending up with the best of both worlds if you want.

Same goes with getting the 88 keys Kronos. You can always add on a 61 key(soft keys) controller board or even a 73-76 soft key controller.
The best of both worlds. But... Kronos 88 keys are nearly the heaviest action out there if you struggle with piano action weighted feel.

Kronos is built to pair up or midi connect with other keyboards or controller keys.

Get any key version you feel comfortable with and then you will have the option of later adding a longer set of any kind of keys you want- If you decide having wider range for splits, RPPR and Multisamples.
Also by the time you start assigning keys special functions in Karma, that just adds the need for more keys.

Kronos LS model has the shape and size of full piano keys but plays like soft keys and you get a full 88 keys. You give up aftertouch feature with LS model but end up with soft keys and a full rack of 88. Kronos keys are more than just plunkng down notes, and if you get into all the things notes can be used for in the system, you will find you need as many keys as you can just to not feel cramped into a tight performance space.
JimDavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not my very first keyboard but I am a novice.
Years ago I owned a Korg Wavestation for a few years and liked it a lot.
But again I am a bass, drum and guitar guy 95% of the time...

Kronos seems a better suit to me at the moment for making the music I'd like to compose on my own.

KC400 was the result of an Internet search with keyword " keyboard amp"...
And Roland was claiming the new KC series they purified the signal output and bla bla bla... which I have no idea...

Again what is my choice for around $600 for a sound system that nice/loud/full of bass/ and preferably stereo option...???
JimDavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about : 2 of Yamaha HS8 8" Powered Studio Monitors ???
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
This is not my very first keyboard but I am a novice.
Years ago I owned a Korg Wavestation for a few years and liked it a lot.
But again I am a bass, drum and guitar guy 95% of the time...

Kronos seems a better suit to me at the moment for making the music I'd like to compose on my own.

KC400 was the result of an Internet search with keyword " keyboard amp"...
And Roland was claiming the new KC series they purified the signal output and bla bla bla... which I have no idea...

Again what is my choice for around $600 for a sound system that nice/loud/full of bass/ and preferably stereo option...???

I had KC 350 with Korg Triton Extreme years ago. KC 350 was ok to my inexperienced ears on basic piano and strings but it was seriously unable to handle the lows and hard to EQ a decent balance between the sound range in a Phat Combi. And thats coming from Korg where they tend to have weaker bass end than most Keyboards.

Kronos has better bass end for korg these days and added sound quality right down to the effects that can light up the sound. I would hate to make the same KC 350 mistake again especially when they units still look identical, even the ones 400 and 600 models i saw.
PA system speakers do better i think and you really want 2 separated speakers to really capture Kronos auto panning with left towards the left ear/side of room, and right towards the right ear/side of room.

I make due with Small KRK 5” studio monitors. Good enough for in home music. Cost less than $400 a pair. Maybe one day add subwoofer to them and anything else will be a set of PA style speakers even if used set is all my $600 can get.
studio460

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos 88 hammer-action is too heavy for me. I'm not a skilled pianist and I already have a hammer-action 88-key keyboard in my Fantom G8. If I had a choice, I would've preferred a synth-action 88-key Kronos. The 61-key Kronos is synth-action, but it's too small, as I want to play bowed basses with cellos and violins on the same keybed—so I went with the K88 despite the weighted keys.

For fast synth, plucked, or string leads, weighted keys can really slow you down and tire your fingers. If that's your thing, you're much better off with a synth-action keybed.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

studio460

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:

I have the Yamaha HS5s for my synths' monitors and I think they're great. The HS8s were too big for my space, but I think they sound excellent as well. I think the Yamahas sound markedly better than KRKs. They're also better than my M-Audio BX5a monitors (which I got on sale and use for my V-Drums). I think the Yamaha's are very accurate, flat-response monitors, and provide good value for the money.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

JimDavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
JimDavis wrote:

I have the Yamaha HS5s for my synths' monitors and I think they're great. The HS8s were too big for my space, but I think they sound excellent as well. I think the Yamahas sound markedly better than KRKs. They're also better than my M-Audio BX5a monitors (which I got on sale and use for my V-Drums). I think the Yamaha's are very accurate, flat-response monitors, and provide good value for the money.

Thank you. I think I'll go with couple HS8 Yamahas...

Do you get good deep bass sound with your 5 ?
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 61 for what you need why would be a reason to get 88 keys ?
tomto66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not trained on piano your fingers/hand might hurt on a weighted keyboard - it takes training to develop muscle ...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
If you're not trained on piano your fingers/hand might hurt on a weighted keyboard - it takes training to develop muscle ...

I think this is a good discussion. especially for folks in my age category.

My pref has always been piano. I play organ solos on the 88 RH3. I do smears
on the 88.

I don't over do it , of course. I can't anyway, as I am not a strong 5 minute
soloist.

Depending on the student or somewhat beginning keyboard, I kind of encourage a more traditional/classic approach. and I am self taught. I never took even 1 piano lesson.

But I do my scales and arps and runs about 20 minutes every day.
Even this minimal warm up approach can help a keyboard player handle most
keyboard parts. and if on a weighed keyboard , I think that strength and need
for dexterity, touch, what have you , is ultimately beneficial.

I am not implying 3 hours of Hanon every day. Absolutely nothing wrong with
heavy practice as I might benefit in many ways. But my time has to be prioritized thus my minimal warm up approach.

Just a few thoughts. My advice might suck for some folks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: