Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's KRONOS time for this newbie... But I have a question...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomto66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Greg: I do organ runs and smears on my 88 as well Smile- I even do electric guitar-like shredding - but like you say, that takes (daily) practice. Me too I would encourage any keyboard player to practice on a weighted - preferably real piano - keyboard --- but for some that's just not needed, or time is lacking to practice that. I really depends on what the OP wants to do - I was trying to indicate that if he's got no experience playing weighted he might be in for a surprise/disappointment ...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
@Greg: I do organ runs and smears on my 88 as well Smile- I even do electric guitar-like shredding - but like you say, that takes (daily) practice. Me too I would encourage any keyboard player to practice on a weighted - preferably real piano - keyboard --- but for some that's just not needed, or time is lacking to practice that. I really depends on what the OP wants to do - I was trying to indicate that if he's got no experience playing weighted he might be in for a surprise/disappointment ...

I hear you, brother, and agree.

I think a person could or might consider defining his/her requirements.

If the keyboard was inexpensive , lets say under $500 , its reasonable to experiment, mess around, make some noise, etc, etc. IMO

I guess I am a serious K owner and as a result, I prefer to project adequate thinking before making a $3000 purchase.

There might be a 'perception ' that Kronos 'plays itself ' because of push button combis, pop song Programs, and all the resulting instant gratification.

IOW, Kronos is not an arranger. No idea what the musical requirements really are for the O/P. So I am simply tossing some thoughts around.
studio460

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the Kronos LS 88 (edit: I see someone already did), which has lighter action than the regular Kronos 88, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the 61-key synth-action Kronos or a bit stiffer. Also, apparently the LS doesn't support aftertouch. Nevertheless, this would've been perfect for me, but I just couldn't deal with the color.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

rpowell01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a 25th year self taught pianist, learned to play what I hear and I am dynamic in my playing… I’ve used both 88 keys and 61 keyboards in the past… I use to be stuck on 61 keys for a long time but after I got my 88 Kronos X I will never go back to a 61 board ever again… I say this because with weighted keys you can play so softly and create a wonderful masterpiece… With the previous 61 boards I had a hard time accomplishing this but with the 88 boards it’s so different…

Take it from somebody who use to only play with 66 boards that 88 keyboards are the way to go and help you with making your music more dynamic…

Hope this makes sense and helps…
studio460

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
I say this because with weighted keys you can play so softly and create a wonderful masterpiece…

I'm glad to hear this sentiment. I promised myself I would learn more piano and music theory in the coming months and years (my 6th-grade piano lessons never really "took"). I now own two 88-key weighted keyboards (Kronos and Fantom G), and I think the Kronos is the heaviest-action. But, as you allude, I do like the weight when playing piano patches, and appreciate the dynamism it adds to your playing. I do have three other (shorter) synth-action keyboards for playing leads, and also plan to buy a short synth-action controller for my Kronos soon.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

JimDavis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being novice and all on keyboards and not being a piano background I ordered a Kronos 61 with 2 Yamaha HS7 which fit perfectly for the beginning set budget I've had...
After spending some time with it I'll add slowly to the setup...

Now waiting for the Fedex guy on March 8th!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: