Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with setting up an external MIDI parameter controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pallero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Help with setting up an external MIDI parameter controller Reply with quote

Hello

I have been trying to set up an Akai Midimix controller to be used with the Kronos. My main interest now would be to hook it up to control the MS-20 panel parameters, but I have not been able to figure out exactly how, or if it's even possible. I am able to send basic CC commands to alter the sound, but I have not noticed any visual feedback on the Kronos' different parameter pages, the sound just changes according to the CC command, but I am not really aware how it's happening. And I am not able to control for example an VCO on the MS-20. The Kronos' built-in knobs, which control the MS-20 panel parameters now, seem to send Korg 14-bit MIDI messages. The Akai Midimix can either send note on/off or CC messages which can be altered however I wish with an editor application. My possibly helpful setup otherwise is a macbook connected to the Kronos via USB, Ableton Live 9 and a software called Bome Midi Translator.
Maybe I can somehow route and translate the commands sent and received through these, if this setup is not possible connecting a MIDI controller directly to the back of the Kronos.

Does anyone have an idea how would I achieve this? How do I "teach" the Kronos to change a specific parameter via incoming CC messages?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You have to respect and follow the Kronos MIDI implementation (it is at the end of the parameter guide and also available as a separate PDF document).

You can control Kronos sliders and buttons with normal MIDI messages. If you check the MIDI implementation chart, you can see that for example MIDI 21 (or 15H in hex) corresponds to controlling knob 8. So any value sent which follows this MIDI control number will of course modify whatever effect is assigned to knob 8 in the currently played Kronos program, as if you would physically turn the knob.

Anything which is not shown in the MIDI implementation chart will instead require you to send SYSEX messages. For example, since you ask how to control a VCO in a MS-20 program, if you want to select the waveform type, you need to send F0 42 30 68 43 1D 00 00 05 00 00 00 0X F7, where X can only equal 0 (triangle), 1 (sawtooth), 2 (PWM) or 3 (noise).

Usually, on good MIDI controllers if you assign a rotating knob to a SYSEX message which only contain a few values, they will be spread on the entire knob range, so still following this VCO waveform select example the first fourth/quarter of the knob will be at 0 or triangle, the second at 1 or sawtooth, etc.

To send SYSEX to the Kronos using a controller which can only transmit CC messages, use a MIDI/SYSEX translator such as MIDI-OX.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with KK - the information is all there is you read it and work it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: