Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is the 88 too heavy for you to take out on gigs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgibian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gig rarely but haven't had a problem with my original k88 and a soft case with wheels. On the other hand, I DO worry about space-constrained venues not having enough room for the keyboard.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: is the 88 too heavy for you to take out on gigs? Reply with quote

[quote="Mike777"]I would likely buy a K 88 except it would be too heavy for me to load in/out of my SUV. I tried to pick it up off the shelf at the store and could not. I think it's 53lbs? Then add the weight of a case. I have to load/unload it myself in my SUV.

Or does someone have a method that makes it easy to load somehow?[/quote]

For those of us who do gig, it is heavy but worth it in my opinion. No doubt heavier that most, but I hauled a Rhodes around for years, and remember what that was like. I think a good case on wheels helps and so does grabbing the guitar player or singer who usually sit at the bar drinking while your busting your butt. Cool
Gunnar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't gig either, but I still got the 73 keys edition because I figured I might end up gigging one day and then the smaller size and reduced weight would be a plus. However, I do miss not having the full range 88 keys when playing piano and I quite easily run out of keys when doing splits, so if I were to choose again, I think I would have gone for the 88. It's only 3kg difference in the board itself, after all.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnar wrote:
I don't gig either, but I still got the 73 keys edition because I figured I might end up gigging one day and then the smaller size and reduced weight would be a plus. However, I do miss not having the full range 88 keys when playing piano and I quite easily run out of keys when doing splits, so if I were to choose again, I think I would have gone for the 88. It's only 3kg difference in the board itself, after all.

Its playing style plus preference.

I have decades on piano, thus 88 is a must. when I play a friends 73, it feels awkward. all that built up ' muscle memory ' ( my term) in the fingers.

I moved my 88 around yesterday and it is some what heavy. What I notice its difficult to get leverage or a handle on the 88. Its due to the rounded chassis ( on top)
laandodeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not too heavy. The trick is a flight case on wheels.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
Nope, not too heavy. The trick is a flight case on wheels.

a better trick is to have someone trust worthy to haul it around and set it up.

No more gripes about ' too heavy ' Smile
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the original K61 and an 88 controller. When the K2 came out I got an 88 and went back to a 1 keyboard stage rig. The physical effort is less using the single K2-88 than it was moving and setting up 2 keyboards. It is also much faster. A 73 would be ok, but the weight difference is not substantial once you include a hard case. Even though I move it myself, and it is heavy, I still prefer the 88 by comparison.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
I started with the original K61 and an 88 controller. When the K2 came out I got an 88 and went back to a 1 keyboard stage rig. The physical effort is less using the single K2-88 than it was moving and setting up 2 keyboards. It is also much faster. A 73 would be ok, but the weight difference is not substantial once you include a hard case. Even though I move it myself, and it is heavy, I still prefer the 88 by comparison.

+1

In my case though, i'm still holding on my K61 + 88 controller setup only because i'm going to wait for an 88 version of the next generation aka "The Game is Over" workstation from Korg to replace both. How long will i wait who knows but i can tell you that i regret not buying the K88 instead of the K61.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting to the point I find even the K276 as too heavy. I started using a Nord Stage 3 Compact for rehearsals and then started taking on gigs. I can carry the keyboard, backpack, and keyboard stand all in one trip.

Looks like i'm ready to get a Kronos 2 61
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a K73 back in 2011 because it is slightly lighter and the 88 would not fit in my sedan. I do miss the bottom end. I wish it went C-C like the M3-73 did instead of E-E. For a while a carried a 2 octave controller to help with the bottom end, but that didn’t work well.

Eventually, I got a K2-61 and a Casio PX-5S. Both still fit in my car (better than the K73 actually) and together are lighter than the K88. But, I really don’t like setting up 2 keyboards.

Last summer I tried the K-LS. I wanted to like it, kept it a week and returned it. Couldn’t get used to the touch. Didn’t want to get used to the touch, either. And truthfully, it wasn’t gonna fit in the car anyway.

Several weeks later, I got a minivan. Wasn’t planning on it, but bought it for family reasons.

In December, got a K2-88. Love it, but it BARELY fits in my minivan! Not sure how it would fit in an SUV.

To answer your question, Yes, it’s very heavy to gig with! I have the gator soft case on wheels.

I basically have three rigs to gig with now. So depending on the venue and the lengthy of the show, I pick between:

K2-88
K-73
K2-61/PX-5S
PX-5S

I also have backups if one of them fails. It would be great if Kord would create a lightweight body like the PX-5S. I have a gig I do every summer where I load up steep narrow steps. There's no way the K2-88 is going on that gig!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all go through the same reasoning depending on our changing circumstances, trying to find the best fit for how we feel. I do a little bit of informal gigging, so have always wrestled with what best config to cover all bases.
My KX88 never moves of it's stand, I've tried the K2-61 with PX5S, but after a while was still left wanting for a single keyboard to take with me.
i did recently decide to take the plunge and I bought a K2-73. (I'll probably look at trimming my gear down again in the future, and offload a few Smile).

Since having the K2-73, I think I've found something that fits me, with a set of compromises I can live with. After all, we all have a different set of compromises which we find acceptable. Being a piano player all my life, I've not been content with anything less than 88 keys, however, I made a little tweak to my 73, which has made all the difference. I'm finding myself using the K2-73 most of time, which is very telling on how successful the choice is.

My tweak?
Even though you can transpose the keys while playing...and obviously it's easier with a footswitch, the thing which has improved my keyboard management is to set the transpose control in the programs to be momentary rather than latching, so that the transpose is only active while the foot is on the pedal.
With a bit of practice it's becoming quite seamless to play the lower notes of an 88 with my 73. Just a left foot press in sync with my hand playing, just like my foot is an extension of my hands pressing keys. Depending on what I play I can set the transpose either way to give most choices, or use a second footswitch to do both ends. I know I lose the soft pedal function at times, but I tend not to be a great user of it anyway.

The other thing about the 73 is that even though it's only slightly lighter than the 88, the shorter length makes all the difference to handling it and where it will fit. Being able to put my arms to each end when picking it up, makes a difference....to me anyway.

So in the end, you just have to weigh up pros and cons related to your particular circumstances to decide which is best, and like me, that can even change, and have you feel differently down the track.
tatun2010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone thought about to replace the wood bottom cover for lighter one? I've open a couple of times my k2 73 to check the ram setting, etc... And I noticed how heavy was the bottom cover. Maybe I can get a thiner metal cover, so lighter.
Any thoughts about this?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatun2010 wrote:
Did anyone thought about to replace the wood bottom cover for lighter one? I've open a couple of times my k2 73 to check the ram setting, etc... And I noticed how heavy was the bottom cover. Maybe I can get a thiner metal cover, so lighter.
Any thoughts about this?

Graphite?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatun2010 wrote:
Any thoughts about this?

sounds easy. hammer out and cut some tin. drill holes. done

I removed the bottom cover of my K88 the other day. Its not wood exactly- its particle board.

Weighed 4 pounds.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the 73 weighted Kronos, sent it back. Between that and the case you're looking at close to 70 lbs. And that's with the lightweight cases. Moving that sucker at 3:00 in the morning after a gig --- ugh. Absolutely hate playing with only 61 keys, but I manage it. For the weekend warrior I was really hoping for a 76/73 semi-weighted, but not holding my breath. If I was 20 years younger I'd have stuck with the 73, but for the over 50 crowd, we have to settle for 61 using a single board or put up with the lugging a controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: