Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Variations on Korg Pa700?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
touch_master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

Hello to all.
Im new with Arrangers.

I have problem when I change variations during song.

When I change variations I get at once turned on all instruments from next variations and the transition isnt smooth.

How to change variations smooth?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

touch_master wrote:
problem when I change variations during song ... transition isnt smooth...

Each style-element (also variation 1...4) has eight tracks and each of them may contain another sound/drumkit and another sequence.
In most of factory styles the specific variation-tracks are not different - means same drumkits/sounds of drum-/percussion-/bass-/acc-tracks are used in each style-element.

So I'm surprised about your issues, which I can only imagine with user styles, where different drum kits / sounds were used for each variation.

Of course, there is an audible difference (maybe without smooth transition) when you suddenly hear the sequence of a track that has no events in the same tracks of the previous variation or style-element.

Issues with transitions of real-time tracks should not occur when changing variations in style play mode, because real-time tracks (upper, lower) are only changed when changing styles with function "StyleToKbdSet" is activated. But that are no issues, but features to change KbdSets in common with style-change or not to change KbdSets if StyleToKbdSet is set OFF (LED not lighting)
Well known but as yet unresolved problems are known when changing running styles with Sb Entries, where you get are ugly interruptions of realtimetracks. That is because due to an error in the OS also in the OFF position of "StyleToKbdSet" erroneously always loads KbdSet#1 with sound and effects from Upper / Lower, which causes such ugly interruptions!
Although this error has been known since the first delivery, I still hope for an OS-correction by KORG. Pa700 / 1000 keyboards with that StyleToKbdSet function do not allow a StylePlay with a songbook - eg so it really is not suitable for running styles with setlist.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

touch_master wrote:
Hello to all.
Im new with Arrangers.

When I change variations I get at once turned on all instruments from next variations and the transition isnt smooth.

If you are referring to the lead sounds changing when you select a different variation, it sounds like you have the PA700 set to change the STS sounds when you switch variations in a specific style.

If you turn that feature off (there is a button called StyletoKbdSet, I believe), this will stop that from happening and the STS sound(s) that you have chosen will play during a new variation.

I too have a PA700 and turned that feature off, as each one of my STS sound settings (keyboard sets) allow me to play up to 4 songs in the same style.

You will have to read up in the manual about the button, because since I turned it off, I never use it Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

touch_master wrote:
Hello to all.
Im new with Arrangers.

If I understood well your issue I think your Style To KBD SET indicator is in Blinking position.
You should either turn it completely OFF or ON.

If the transition is not smooth with the Style Tracks when you switch from one variation to another
you should check the Expression of Style Tracks in Style Record mode.

For more information about Style To KBD SET please read below from Pa1000 User's Manual (it's the same procedure as Pa700):
Hope that helps.

Pa1000-KBD-Set
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
.. turn that feature off (there is a button called StyletoKbdSet, I believe), this will stop that from happening and the STS sound(s) that you have chosen will play during a new variation ....

I think you are confusing something because StyleToKbdSet has no function when changing variations of a style, but only when selecting another style (or maybe there is another error of this function?).

Nevertheless, the function StyleToKbdSet - as mentioned - can only be used in StylePlay anyway, because with the songbook you get an ugly interruption every time you change a style. This prevents using the songbook properly with entry type "Style" and running styles.

Musicwithharry wrote:
... turned that feature off, as each one of my STS sound settings (keyboard sets) allow me to play up to 4 songs in the same style. ...since I turned it off, I never use it ... .

Habits how to play keyboards are different - for me it is one of the most important functions for styleplay with songbook (if it would work properly with songbook, but does not).

Four STS we already had in all previous models and that function (called SingleTouch) we had additionally and could be used properly and with much more different variations with songbook functions.
Now with Pa700/1000 Styles a proper StyleToKbdSet with Songbook SetLists would be useful in order to be able to use SetList-function to play running Styles with smooth-transitions but without ugly interruptions (caused by unasked-for automatically loading KbdSet#1).

After the OS of Pa1000/700 has not been corrected for such a long time, some have got used to it and think in the meantime that the ugly interruptions during a change of a running style are intentional by Korg.

Some also think that ugly interruptions are no shortcoming but a wanted feature as stated in the documentation for song settings. For demanding style players who mainly use song-specific styles, for example, the hundreds of published sb-entries unfortunately are reduced and limited to a one single style, because it is not possible to change a running style without ugly interruptions. So for such applications Pa700/1000 are unsuitable to work satisfactorily because of that ugly interruptions caused by loading KbdSet#1.

I hope that this shortcoming of the OS will be remedied before the current Pa700 / 1000 models are discontinued without further updates - the wait for an OS update has been too long!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
B.Safe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Variations on Korg Pa700? Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
...We hope that this shortcoming of the OS will be remedied before the current Pa700 / 1000 models are discontinued without further updates - the wait for an OS update has been too long!

We hope...? Who's this "we" besides you?
Considering that Korg has now produced several updates (including the Next 3.x of the PA4X) since YOUR request and that your request has still not been taken into account, maybe this simply means that Korg considers (as I do) that this is not a shortcomming, but a wanted feature, as stated in the documentation...
But we've already discussed this many times, and you still haven't bothered to respond to my proposal that would satisfy your request without harming the current functioning of the songbook that perfectly meets my needs.
touch_master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no...I dont think on that... I know what function is kbs to style, when flash and are steady...thats no problem.

I mean when changing variation, sounds inside accompaniment, bass, drums, guitars, not upper sounds in right hand. Is there universal rule when to press variation button so the transition is smooth? For example we have 4/4 meter, so when to press variation button?

And I noticed that you can put ONLY TWO EFFECTS inside mixer on accompaniment, drums and bass, not on third instrument?? And only one effect on right hand ? Is that right?

How to put reverb on all accompaniment instruments together?

How to record only midi file while playing style? And still have control over variations, effects and so on?
ime95mos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also noticed that I need to work on my timing to get the transition as good as possible. If I'm "way off" it can sound a bit strange!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: