Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

system startup failed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hauser7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: system startup failed Reply with quote

Hi, i've searched the site and tried many different recommendations from different posts, i recently got a korg kronos X handed down from a family member and it worked a few times before this error started to appear, i've tried testing the ram (haven't installed new ram yet, but took out each stick and reseated them), tried a different cable for the SSD, tried doing a file system check on the SSD and downloaded the Restore DVD and tried with 2 different DVD players, but the system is not reading them, i'm thinking its either a PSU issue, or a motherboard issue. anyone know the PSU model or anything else i could try??

thanks
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

hauser7 wrote:
Hi, i've searched the site and tried many different recommendations from different posts, i recently got a korg kronos X handed down from a family member and it worked a few times before this error started to appear, i've tried testing the ram (haven't installed new ram yet, but took out each stick and reseated them), tried a different cable for the SSD, tried doing a file system check on the SSD and downloaded the Restore DVD and tried with 2 different DVD players, but the system is not reading them, i'm thinking its either a PSU issue, or a motherboard issue. anyone know the PSU model or anything else i could try??

thanks

If you are going the PSU route it sounds like you are into DIY trial and error.
There is the MOBO to play with but I have zero knowledge on that.

Antony, 1 of our best sound designers knows about the PSU replacements, from what I recall. He has mentioned it a few times.
Windsofsoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

Power supply is ENO-1612 by Enhance Electronics, good luck getting one outside of Korg though. Had the same problem with my X, spent over 700 bucks and 6 months swapping parts, mostly because of a Intel Atom MB I got from Ebay which was partly defective supposedly. After sitting at a repair facility for 6 months because everyone including Korg were stumped, they tried another MB and it fixed it. Start with the motherboard. The supply is probably OK, at least you can take a VM to it and check the voltages.

hauser7 wrote:

thanks
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

hauser7 wrote:
i'm thinking its either a PSU issue, or a motherboard issue. anyone know the PSU model or anything else i could try??

I highly doubt that this is a PSU either a motherboard issue !
PSU failure will cause a sudden death of Kronos and screen will be blank too !
System start up failure (if not seated well Ram in sockets case) means by 95% corrupted system files or SSD failure , so you
have to find the suitable/combatible to Kronos USB DVD drive first (like Lite-On EBAU108 or LG DVD drive) and reinstall in format mode !
BTW Kronos X Ram is already updated to the 3GB max Ram !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
hauser7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
hauser7 wrote:
i'm thinking its either a PSU issue, or a motherboard issue. anyone know the PSU model or anything else i could try??

System start up failure (if not seated well Ram in sockets case) means by 95% corrupted system files or SSD failure , so you
have to find the suitable/combatible to Kronos USB DVD drive first (like Lite-On EBAU108 or LG DVD drive) and reinstall in format mode !

thank you, i did try with an LG DVD i found on my local best buy but it wasn't working so i will buy the LiteON to test that out, and will post afterwards. thanks again!,

the DVD's created from the download in the korg website should work fine no? i dont have the original DVD's.
hauser7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
hauser7 wrote:

Antony quick question, if i connect a monitor via VGA should i have any output on the MOBO? just want to make sure the MOBO is not faulty as well. in any case i ordered the Lite on DVD and should test after it arrives.
Windsofsoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: system startup failed Reply with quote

Samsung SE208AB External DVD Drive with dual usb connectors is the one I used for my X, worked great.

hauser7 wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
hauser7 wrote:

thank you, i did try with an LG DVD i found on my local best buy but it wasn't working so i will buy the LiteON to test that out, and will post afterwards. thanks again!,

the DVD's created from the download in the korg website should work fine no? i dont have the original DVD's.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Official DVD ISOs are in dual layer format , so buy 2 duall layer DVDs , use a PC/Mac utility to burn them and use them with drive.
- You would have output on VGA but not as expected , since OS works as an amplication and screen data are multiplexed
but you will have linux basic commands (using PC keyboard) to ensure that mobo is fine as I strongly believe !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
hauser7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
- Official DVD ISOs are in dual layer format , so buy 2 duall layer DVDs , use a PC/Mac utility to burn them and use them with drive.
- You would have output on VGA but not as expected , since OS works as an amplication and screen data are multiplexed
but you will have linux basic commands (using PC keyboard) to ensure that mobo is fine as I strongly believe !

I'm getting the LiteON DVD Tomorrow but i plugged in a monitor via VGA and nothing shows up, in fact the monitor doesn't receive any signal. I will try tomorrow with the DVD. thanks for your time Antony
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you not to be the 1 in 1000 case of a defective motherboard (rare but valid) and have a happy end with this ! Very Happy

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
I wish you not to be the 1 in 1000 case of a defective motherboard (rare but valid) and have a happy end with this ! Very Happy

as we pointed out, humorously, it is mostly impossible to diagnose the O/p component problem. There is little 'story' to work with. Its like performing a root canal online without an x-ray

I agree, mobo failure is highly unlikely. I don't quite understand the trial and error DIY approach. Serious K repairs are better handled by an authorized service person. To each their own, I suppose.
hauser7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i swapped the MOBO and it started to boot but it stops halfway and says please reinstall system software...the error it shows is: 19, keybed

the DVD's i copied are not booting up, so i will take it in for repairs. i wanted to try to do it myself an avoid having to pay for an expensive repair thats why i went the DIY way.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauser7 wrote:
So, i swapped the MOBO and it started to boot but it stops halfway and says please reinstall system software...

It was obvious that your problem is corrupted system files of SSD , so your only issue now is to find a DVD drive compatible to Kronos !

Good luck

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauser7 wrote:
So, i swapped the MOBO and it started to boot but it stops halfway and says please reinstall system software...the error it shows is: 19, keybed

the DVD's i copied are not booting up, so i will take it in for repairs. i wanted to try to do it myself an avoid having to pay for an expensive repair thats why i went the DIY way.

Sure, worth a try.

Are u in the US ?

What did the mobo cost and what was the exact model part # ?

This will help other k owners
hauser7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
hauser7 wrote:

Sure, worth a try.

Are u in the US ?

What did the mobo cost and what was the exact model part # ?

This will help other k owners

Yes, im in the US.

The Mobo is a "Intel D525MW Dual Core Atom CPU D525 1.8Ghz Mini ITX Motherboard Intel", and it was 24$ on Ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: