Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Record for midi files from a style...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Using Record for midi files from a style... Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a style (as in have all the parts play as in "style mode") when recording a MIDI backing song?

Chord Sequence is ok, but as you know you cannot record the fills, endings, etc, it only records the chord pattern, so to create a MIDI backing track using a style seems to be not easy to do? I checked the manual and there is nothing really specific on this.

Don't want an MP3 as there is no "marker" option available.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe you can. I think it's called Quick Record mode or something. You basically select a style and record. All style tracks are going to be recorded on the same 9-16 channels. It's been a while but if I'm not mistaken, all fills and var changes get also recorded. Then you can save the whole thing as one single midi file.

miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam - yeah I tried that, but nothing seemed to get recorded. I'll have another looka t it.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did these videos for the PA3x but it should still be the same process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFFiXPdZWw

and in this video (towards the end) I'm actually recording keyboard tracks as well as style tracks using a factory style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJDEkrW-SY

You have some options here. You can choose to record only style tracks, keyboard tracks or both. It does capture everything you do in real time pretty much.

miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolio, thx m8 Smile
k_sac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden - if you are looking to have your drum tracks play in midi format and automatically give you the style, variations and fills you want to hear without having to press buttons during live play - here is what I do:

I have set-up the default of recording the right hand on track 4 by pressing: Global > Menu > Mode Preferences > Song & Seq. The reason being is that this track will be muted during live play and when you load a song into the sequencer, the voice you are going to get as your default for "live" play is going to be on track 1 and you don't want that muted.

Record the entire song in Midi with a single beat by using the "Backing Sequence (Quick Record)" method, also recording your left (f split) and right hand (which will be on track 4). Don't bother trying to change the beat during record.

I highly suggest you make a "working" copy of your midi file for this next step. Once the midi recording is finished, and the song is loaded in the sequencer, press "Record" button and choose: "Step Backing Sequence". Now under "Style" you can change the variation and fills, etc. in accordance with each measure. In the measure box, use the finger-wheel to get to the measure where you want a change in in the "Style".

Once you are happy with your "creation," you can mute track 4. Then do a quick record sample on track 1 with the voice you want for live play. Then delete track 1 and you will have the sound for your right hand (or full keyboard if not split), ready to go.

TIPS: In the Measure, keep the last three digits as 000 - don't get too finite on when you want the change in the measure. It can create jerky results. Keep your changes to 00x.01.000, 00x.02.000, etc. This also works well if you stick to variations, fills, etc. within one Style. However, if you change the Style completely, the midi file will no longer load via a Songbook entry, you will get an error "file is too big." However, you can still load it via the Sequencer. Also, changing Styles in a song can create a jerky playback in a few spots when you are trying to play along live and cause delay in response to keys pressed for your live playback.

I am thinking it might be possible to get around these problems if you create your own Style and can transfer variations from other Styles to it, but not sure if that is actually "do-able." To get around both of these problems, I simply record the backing tracks to MP3. I like this option because I can more easily create scrolling lyrics in MP3. If you are looking to display a score, or use the "markers" you mentioned then you have to stick to midi. However, in terms of "markers" - I simply re-wind to a time-stamp when I want to practice certain sections in MP3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: